BUSD notes agreement stipulates elementary school on Meadowood site

Some residents within the Bonsall Unified School District (BUSD) boundaries would like to see a 13-acre site near the future Palomar College campus in Fallbrook used for high school students who could take classes at the community college, but a non-voting item at the Feb. 9 BUSD board meeting noted the obligation to use the site for an elementary school.

“There was some question on whether the 13 acres could go toward a high school site,” said BUSD superintendent Justin Cunningham. “We explained to them that the folks who put it into a plan had put it as an elementary school.”

In January 2012, the San Diego County Board of Supervisors approved the 390-acre Meadowood development proposed by Pardee Homes. That map includes 397 single-family homes, 447 multi-family dwelling units, and 13 acres for an elementary school to be built by the Bonsall Unified School District.

Meadowood is part of a master specific planning area which totals 1,178 acres and also includes the Campus Park, Campus Park West, and Horse Creek Ridge developments.

The Board of Supervisors approved the 416-acre Campus Park project in May 2011 when Passerelle, LLC, owned all of that land. Passerelle subsequently sold the residential component to D.R. Horton, who will be building the Horse Creek Ridge development with 521 single-family dwelling units and 230 multi-family dwelling units.

The Campus Park map also includes a community center, an 8.5-acre active sports park, and six neighborhood parks as well as commercial and office land. The supervisors’ June 2014 approval of Campus Park West created a map for the 116.5-acre Pappas Investments project which includes 283 multi-family units. The Palomar College campus comprises 70 acres of the area.

The new elementary school is expected to serve students from the Meadowood, Horse Creek Ridge, and Campus Park West developments, and some students in the Pala Mesa area west of Interstate 15 may find the new elementary school to be more convenient than Bonsall Elementary School.

The Bonsall district also operates Vivian Banks Charter School on the Pala Indian Reservation, although most of the Vivian Banks students are tribal members and the new development is not expected to increase enrollment at the charter school while the new elementary school is not expected to impact Vivian Banks enrollment.

The map approved by the county merely designates 13 acres of the Meadowood property for an elementary school site but did not stipulate whether the land would be donated to the school district. Pardee and the school district will negotiate whether the elementary school site will be donated in lieu of developer fees or whether the school district would purchase that property and Pardee would pay developer fees.

The school district and Pardee will also determine whether the developer will be responsible for building the school or whether impact fees would cover that cost.

“That would be something we’d have to work out,” Cunningham said.

The timing of the school construction will depend on the timing of the completion of the residences.

“A lot of it will depend on how quickly they sell the homes,” Cunningham said. “They’re starting to move dirt. They’re starting to get some things going. What they’re going to be in there by next year I can’t tell you.”

8 Responses to "BUSD notes agreement stipulates elementary school on Meadowood site"

1. Burt   March 4, 2017 at 9:13 am

Oh I see. “Some residents” would like the high school in SOMEONE ELSE’s back yard. On 13 acres the school district doesn’t own as opposed to 50 acres at 76 and Gird which is school district property. If “some residents” NIMBY message wasn’t clear last November, it sure is now.

2. Resident   March 5, 2017 at 9:30 am

I wonder if “Burt” lives next to Gird Rd HS SITE. I doubt it. No one wants a HS right next to where they live. C’mon Burt, get off your high horse. Actually the FAILURE OF DD WAS THE MESSAGE.

3. Cheerleader   March 7, 2017 at 6:10 am

Yay!! “Resident” flat out admits not-in-my-backyard. 1 step down, 11 more to go…

GO GO GO!!!

Maybe I will put a cute little skirt on today – this cheerleading thing is kinda fun!

Give me a “G”
    ***G***
    Give me an “I”
    ***I***
    Give me an “R”
    ***R***
    Give me a “D”
    ***D***

What’s that spell?
    ***BHS!***

GO BHS GO!!!

• Veracity   March 8, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Cheerleader,If you read the article you’d note that the question was whether the 13 acre property owned by Pardee could house a future high school. The agenda item referenced, 9.1.1, did NOT state that the property was obligated to be an elementary school as the article states. It was mentioned at that Meeting that Pardee had EXPECTED an elementary school at that site. NO mention of an obligation. Unfortunately the Village News is relying on information from a Superintendent who has made it clear that he is NOT open to any input from the Community on the high school location. So please put your pom poms away and lets see what is the best location for that school

• Cheerleader   March 10, 2017 at 11:06 am

Veracity – huh? You don’t like my Pom-poms? 🙀

I sure did read the article! I also read the comment right before mine. I find it interesting that 13 acres could be considered as a great possibility for a high school when, according to the same people, 50 acres isn’t big enough. I guess it just depends on whose street it is on, just like “resident” points out precisely.

4. Dusty   March 8, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Just as long as nobody going to, or from, the school chooses to use narrow, winding, 2-lane Gird road I think it will be a fine location. But, if people are dropping kids off at school and then going up towards Temecula or Fallbrook, or coming from down from the north in general, it will be that country road that gets hit with new volumes of traffic.

So, consider me NIMBY-STRIBE, as in “Not in My Backyard Since The Road Isn’t Big Enough”

Dusty

5. oldtimer   March 8, 2017 at 4:59 pm

I trust, Dusty, that you are aware that Bonsall High school is located on a narrow winding 2 lane road RIGHT NOW and the world has not come to an end. Nobody would consider West Lilac Road a highway. Oh, I see. It isn’t YOUR narrow winding 2 lane road. NIMBYism rules.

• Dusty   March 9, 2017 at 8:52 am

You’re right, oldtimer, we should build schools in adjacent cities and put them on narrow highways. While we’re at it, lets bring back asbestos and lead paint as well. If it was good before, it should continue to be good now, right?