FALLBROOK – The Fallbrook Union High School District has announced the 2013-2014 school year will begin two weeks earlier compared to last year in order to complete the fall semester by winter break.
The reasons the district gave for making the calendar adjustment included:
• More time to learn content before AP and CAHSEE exams, increasing students’ chances for success
• Increased separation between STAR and AP exams placing importance on assessment performance
• Calendar more aligned to college/community college providing the ability for students to enroll in college/community college summer school courses which helps support a college going culture
• Calendar more aligned to college/community college providing the ability for mid-year graduates to enroll in college/community college courses in second semester
• Allows for timely submission of first semester grades to colleges for admissions decisions
• Earlier school year end date enables students to better compete for summer jobs
• Places first semester final exams in closer proximity (time wise) to the classroom instruction/learning
• Eliminates the need for review time immediately after winter break in preparation for upcoming final exams
• *Finals before winter break provides students with the opportunity for a true break
Questions may be directed to the district office at (760) 723-6332, extension 6497.