SAN DIEGO COUNTY – Watching one’s weight doesn’t have to mean a life of water and boring diet drinks, but it is possible to keep the summer sweet without extra sugar and calories.
These tasty suggestions have been provided by TOPS Club, Inc. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), the nonprofit weight-loss support organization.
• Add orange, lemon, or cucumber slices to sparkling water.
• Cut a glass of lemonade in half and add sugar-free iced tea.
• Freeze blueberries or raspberries in ice trays with water, and add them to a summer drink.
• Chill out by mixing seedless watermelon, cranberry juice, and ice cubes in a blender. Serve with a slice of lime.
• Steep a peach tea bag in boiling water, chill, and serve with sliced orange.
• Add a splash of pineapple juice to sparkling water, and garnish with pineapple wedges and fresh mint leaves.
• Make iced coffee by adding black coffee to ice, then a splash of skim milk plus a shot of sugar-free vanilla syrup or packet of artificial sweetener.
• Mix one part cranberry or pomegranate juice with two parts club soda, and garnish with fresh raspberries.
• Steep two green tea bags in boiling water. Chill and serve on ice with a tablespoon of honey and a lemon wedge.
• Make a tasty summer “mocktail.” Serve low-sodium tomato juice on ice and mix with a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce and a few dashes of hot sauce (depending on how spicy you want your drink). Add a celery stalk and a couple of green olives if you’d like.
TOPS Club Inc. is the original weight-loss support and wellness education organization. A weekly meeting is offered in Fallbrook on Fridays at 9:30 a.m. at Crestview Mobile Estates clubhouse, 1120 E. Mission Rd.