FALLBROOK – Whether one is about to turn 65 or have a family member that’s 65, there are simple things that should be done to help a person plan living the rest of their life with independence, dignity and the way they choose.
By completing the following tasks, one can communicate their wishes.
• Talk to family members about what is important in your remaining years.
• Make a list of all your medications and keep it up to date. (Put a copy on the refrigerator for possible emergencies.)
• Do a safety evaluation of your home to ensure that it is both safe and comfortable.
• Get a hobby or an activity that is new and interesting. It is important to stay active.
• Make a list of people in your life that can help you, if needed.
• Review your finances
• List the things you can still do and the things you need help with.
There are a number of websites that can provide information, such as The ScanFoundation.org or eldercare.gov. The RN geriatric care managers at Innovative Healthcare Consultants can meet with individuals and assess needs in a professional, impartial manner to help elder citizens and their family with important decisions. Call (760)731-1334 or visit www.innovativehc.com for more information.