SACRAMENTO – The holiday season is here which means gifts and parties. This also means that everyone’s trash and recycling bins will be filled to the rim. One item that belongs in the recycling bin this holiday season is foam, which is often mistakenly referred to as styrofoam, electronic packaging and foodservice foam. Waste services in Bonsall and Fallbrook make recycling easy by offering curbside pickup.
Recycling foam gives it a chance at a second life. One manufacturer in Chino, Calif., uses the material to make beautiful picture frames and crown molding. Other manufacturers use it to make baseboards, nursery packaging, and pens.
So this holiday season, instead of throwing electronic packaging and foodservice foam into the trash, residents can recycle it. Not only will they be helping the environment, they will be helping the economy by supporting companies that manufacture here in California with recycled material. Together everyone can all help create a sustainable future for their communities.
To best recycle foam, here are some tips to follow:
1) Make sure what is put in the recycle bin is recyclable. To figure out if it is recyclable, look for the triangle on the bottom of the material. If there is a 6 inside of the triangle, then it can be recycled it. Foam comes in a variety of shapes and sizes, including food containers, coffee cups, packaging material, and egg cartons.
2) Rinse foam before recycling it; make sure that it is free of food by rinsing it well before putting it in the recycling bin.
3) Don’t forget to put foam where it belongs. Be sure this holiday season to place foam in curbside recycling containers so that it is able to get a second chance at life.
4) Spread the word! Tell neighbors and community members that they are able to recycle foam in their curbside containers.
5) Recycle year round! Continue holiday foam recycling throughout the year. This community offers a service that makes it easy. Make it a News Year’s resolution to recycle throughout the year.