25-year-old Fallbrook man killed after hitting cement truck in Temecula

TEMECULA – A motorist killed when his SUV slammed into a cement truck near Temecula was identified today as a 25-year-old Fallbrook man.

Cort Hedrick suffered fatal injuries Tuesday in an 11 a.m. collision in the 42200 block of Anza Road, just north of DePortola Road.

According to the California Highway Patrol, Hedrick was headed north on Anza at high speed when he came upon a stopped cement truck. The truck’s hazard lights were flashing, but Hedrick “continued at a high rate of speed, with no attempt of stopping behind the cement mixer,” CHP Officer Nathan Baer said.

The SUV plowed into the cement truck and then veered left across opposing traffic lanes, onto the dirt shoulder, where Hedrick was ejected, the officer said.

“The SUV continued over an embankment, rolled over within a field and came to rest on its side,” Baer said.

The vehicle caught fire, but the flames were quickly extinguished by the truck driver and several utility workers who witnessed the crash.

Hedrick died at Inland Valley Medical Center in Wildomar about two hours later.

The truck driver complained of pain but declined medical treatment at the scene, according to the CHP.

33 Responses to "25-year-old Fallbrook man killed after hitting cement truck in Temecula"

1. Old friend   February 27, 2013 at 4:57 pm

RIP Cort. You will be missed by many. My condolences to Chris, Julie, Cole, Shaunti, Conner and the rest of the Hedrick family. My God be with you during this tragic time.

2. 3 year home owner in Fallbrook.   February 27, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Please, slow down everyone. RIP youngman.

3. more to it   February 27, 2013 at 8:11 pm

There’s more to the story when someone keeps going full speed ahead. RIP and prayers to the family who have to live with the pain. God bless.

4. Lisa   February 27, 2013 at 9:42 pm

My heart aches for your entire family. Prayers for all of you. God bless.

5. Reeders   February 27, 2013 at 10:51 pm

We’re stunned and we know there’s really nothing we can say. Our prayers are with you. So so sorry. Let us know if there is anything we can do.

6. high school chum   February 27, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Yes i agree there is more to the story. He didnt brake at all and was ejected, which may mean he didnt has a seat belt. He was so young and from what i have heard fighting many demons. We dont know the full story so please dont pass judgement. Say a prayer for his family no parents should have to go through this at all. And if someone is ever reaching out for help…try to help them. We never know what someone is holding inside

7. Fallbrookian   February 28, 2013 at 12:25 am

He may have been fighting demons, but it probably was a case of driving too fast and looking down at the radio, or his phone, etc., and not seeing the cement truck in front of him. Kids that age get distracted, don’t wear seatbelts and get tragically injured or killed in accidents more often than they should. As sad as it sounds, I would rather know that my child passed away from being ejected from the car, than know that he went over an embankment and passing away in a burning vehicle. Both ways a simply horrible. Prayers to his family. I have two boys that age as well and know that in spite of their age, they are still “kids”.

8. close friend   February 28, 2013 at 4:41 am

close friend of thought it would be you …. Rest In Paradise
    My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family… Wish
    i could see you one last time and tell you how much of a cool
    Guy you are…

9. Fallbrook mom   February 28, 2013 at 8:48 am

We have known Cort since he was a little boy. We have seen him play on the Pop Warner football team where his helmet was twice the size of him running around the field to a grown man at the river having a good time with his friends and making lasting memories with them. Cort had a good heart, always had a smile on his face and a mischevious laugh. He loved his friends and family and we’ll miss him a lot. RIP Cort.

10. Just a Class Mate   February 28, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Saddens my heart to hear of another fallown classmate. The class of 2005 has been through a lot since our freshmen year. Life is short hope he had a good life since high school. RIP Cort!!

11. Carl and Sheila White   February 28, 2013 at 5:12 pm

My heart is filled with sadness for the family. Our thoughts will be with the family for many days to come. May God bless you with peace and comfort in the coming days. RIP Cort.

12. AZ Family   February 28, 2013 at 7:06 pm

RIP Cort. Our prayers and condolences to Julie, Chris, Dave, Judi and family. So sorry for your loss. Love from your family in AZ.

13. a close fallbrook family   February 28, 2013 at 8:23 pm

We are so very sorry to hear about Cort. Our condolences to the Family. We will be praying for your Family. God Bless.

14. wow   February 28, 2013 at 9:28 pm

i know the truck driver he is my brothers wifes dad thank god he was not hurt

15. wow   February 28, 2013 at 9:31 pm

well i know what chp said the plates and vin number did not match up so ya there is more to it

16. Diane McClelland   February 28, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I am so sorry. I wish there was some comfort I could give his family.

17. friend   March 1, 2013 at 9:39 am

please keep your rude comments to yourself…^ this was someones child, brother, uncle, grandson, nephew and friend… you don’t know the story

18. @wow...   March 1, 2013 at 10:38 am

Or anyone else who says theres more to the story or that he was fighting demons. Please stop creating drama and stiring up rumors that are not only bogus, but extremely insensitive. This is a time for grieving and comforting family and friends. Keep your childish remarks to yourself.

19. John and Ruthie Harris   March 1, 2013 at 4:13 pm

To the entire Hedrick family, our thoughts and prayers are with you all. We are so very sorry to hear about Cort. Our condolences to you and may Cort rest in peace.

20. Resident   March 1, 2013 at 4:36 pm

As always when a death is reported….

This is not an obituary column. This is the comment section of a newspaper.

People will say things that annoy. Don’t read the comments if you think they will bother you.

To comfort family and friends, create a private facebook page or call them.

21. Mr. Williams   March 1, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Cort always made my day at FHS.

22. RESIDENTTOO   March 1, 2013 at 6:57 pm

To Resident – I was always taught that if you don’t have anything good to say then don’t say it. period. No this isn’t an obituary, but it is also not a page to start rumors or say negative, hurtful, uncaring, unfeeling, inconsiderate comments. This is a very small community where everyone knows everyone and this is so very, very sad. To the Hedrick Family – God give you peace and hold you all tenderly in his arms.

23. High School friend   March 1, 2013 at 8:47 pm

To the family I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I know he will be greatly missed my prayers and thoughts go out to you.

24. Lisa   March 2, 2013 at 12:58 pm

What does it matter if you think there is more to the story. It’s not your story, it’s his. Please keep negative comments and rumors to yourself. Honestly what could be worse than loosing a child? Nothing else matters, he is gone and his family deserves compassion, love and understanding.

25. Lori   March 2, 2013 at 4:17 pm

My prayers are with the Hedrick family. May God walk with you during this time of sadness.

26. Dana Acero   March 2, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Dear Julie my heart goes out to you and your family. Cort was a wonderful guy. I can remember how Grandma Brush would comment on how good looking and smart all your children were. Cort is now in Heaven with Grandpa & Grandma Brush along with my mom (your Aunt Kay) and my step father, good old "Hank". He is in a much better place now. We will all be together again. I love ya cuz. If there is anything I can do, just call me. Dana

27. Moe   March 2, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Dear Julie and Chris my heart goes out to you and Aunt Judi and Uncle Dave and Cole, Shanti and Conor.
    There are no truly comforting words for a time like this except to say that you are all in my prayers. Cort was a Beautiful Boy and will live on in your hearts!

28. Tiff   March 2, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Cort was such a beautiful person. Full of love. I’ll always cherish your memory. Rest in peace.

29. Keli   March 8, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Hedrick Family – diligently praying for all of you every day for God’s comfort during this hard time. Praise God that we will see Cort again one day in heaven! In the meantime, gone, but never ever forgotten. Cort is unforgettable – especially the twinkling eyes and that heartwarming smile :) Love you all –

30. Kshf   March 17, 2013 at 7:20 pm

John LYou’re speaking truth we need to hear day-in day-out. The mtnuie you think that the gospel is something that saved you in the past, and is not something to help you right now today is the day you cease to grow in Christ.’thanks.

31. John   June 24, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Im very sorry for your loss to the Hedrick family, Cort was one of the best friends I could ever ask for…RIP

32. Saxon   March 18, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Cort is my cousin. Really upsets me to see people say this stuff about what probly happened and about thank god the truck driver wasn’t hurt. Regardless of the details, I moss Cort alot. To all of you who knew him, I’m sure you do too. RIP cousin, ill see you when its my time.

33. Gradechecker Danna   April 26, 2014 at 8:57 am

Corte I\\\’ll see you in heaven ! One of the most fearless
    Operators I\\\’ve met in 30 years of grading . Hey now!
    Cris cole and family Jesus loves you!!!