26-year-old man killed in Fallbrook crash identified as Terrence Smith

On Wednesday afternoon, October 30, the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office released the identity of the 26-year-old man killed in the accident as Terrence Smith. An investigator with the Medical Examiner’s Office said that Smith’s driver’s license was issued in Mississippi, but they were told he was living or staying in Fallbrook.

(previous story)

26-year-old Fallbrook man killed in crash on South Mission; 24-year-old female driver crawls up embankment for help

Debbie Ramsey

Managing Editor

A 26-year-old Fallbrook man was killed in the early morning hours when the vehicle he was a passenger in ran off the roadway and down an embankment, striking a tree.

California Highway Patrol public information officer Jim Bettencourt said the crash occurred at approximately 12:25 a.m. this morning, Tues., October 29.

“A 24-year-old female from Fallbrook was driving her 2007 Toyota Corolla southbound on South Mission Road north of Via Monserate at an unknown speed. She lost control of her vehicle, ran off of the east side of the road, down the embankment, and collided into a tree on the right passenger side. Her passenger, a 26-year-old male from fallbrook died at the scene.”

Bettencourt said the driver was able to crawl up the embankment and flag down a passing Sheriff’s deputy for help.

“She sustained minor injuries and was transported to Palomar Hospital,” said Bettencourt, who added that neither alcohol or drugs are suspected as a factor in the collision. The collision remains under investigation.

The identities of the passenger and driver have not been made public at this time.

***Watch this site for updates as more information becomes available.***

(previous story, Tues., Oct. 29, 4:16 a.m.)

One person killed in fatal accident on South Mission Road

FALLBROOK – At least one person was killed in a single-vehicle crash in Fallbrook early today, authorities said.

The fatality in the 4400 block of South Mission Road was reported at 12:27 a.m., according to the California Highway Patrol. Traffic was diverted from S. Mission Rd. through Heller’s Bend.

17 Responses to "26-year-old man killed in Fallbrook crash identified as Terrence Smith"

1. Fallbrookian66   October 29, 2013 at 8:58 am

Please at least give us color or make of car. Male or female. Worried mom.

2. Dave   October 29, 2013 at 9:34 am

Any updates yet? It’s been nine hours.

3. jennifer   October 29, 2013 at 9:54 am

It was was male

4. Howard Salmon   October 29, 2013 at 11:19 am

Was the passenger wearing a safety belt?

VILLAGE NEWS REPLIES: That information has not been released by the CHP yet.

5. KulMom   October 29, 2013 at 11:50 am

There was a video of the wrecked car on the news this morning (either KUSI or FOX, can’t remember which). Anway the car looked like a dark blue or black sedan, that’s all I saw. Prayers to those involved and their families.

6. Legal Citizen and Vet   October 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Fallbrookian66,
    I understand your concern. But not to be mean, if you are a worried mom, then wouldn’t it be easy for you to find out where your kids are and if that was them??? Just call them and find out??
    Keep all those involved in your prayers??

7. Sharon   October 29, 2013 at 7:27 pm

No alcohol and no drugs are suspected… Let’s wait and see. Speeding perhaps? No seatbelts perhaps? Sound like it was an avoidable incident. If it wasn’t mechanical, then it probably could have been avoided.

8. Fallbrookian66   October 30, 2013 at 6:48 am

I did call and text, thank you. However I did not get answers at that time. It was an hour after the ages etc. that I did get an answer. My kids are these ages, adults yes, but always my kids. Prayers to these families. Blessings to all involved.

9. Lee   October 30, 2013 at 6:54 am

How utterly sad!

10. Fallbrook Fan   October 30, 2013 at 8:31 am

So sad!

11. Joss   October 30, 2013 at 8:57 am

Does this happen often? I remember the 2 cars that drove off S Mission into a vacant lot at Alvarado. And the car that nearly drove into the library courtyard. I worry about Rock Rose’s new location on South Mission -I’d like to see some kind of guard rail or barracade so a car doesn’t plow into their outdoor play area. This is why if I go to the Fallbrook Coffee Company, I don’t use the patio that is only separated from S Mission by hedges. That whole road makes me nervous.

12. Resident04   October 30, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Fallbrookian66, I understand completely. I too, was going through the same emotions. I was waiting up for my sons to come home because it was pouring rain and I knew that would make driving tough. One son came home, but the other did not and he normally texts when he stays someplace else. I could not reach him and knew he was with his girlfriend. This accident happened right by my home, so I was petrified. I sent text messages, called on his phone and got nothing. I don’t care how old my kids are, I will always worry about them. I am 100% understanding of what you were feeling.

13. Legal Citizen and Vet   October 30, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Any update on this accident??

14. Legal Citizen and Vet   October 30, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Probably an active duty member was my first thought. I seem to be right, unfortunately.. Hope for a quick recovery for Debbie and God Bless everyone involved with this accident..

15. momz   October 31, 2013 at 12:29 am

Fallbrookian66 and Resident04 High fives for you both to be concerned about your kids. Some parents don’t care and I would be worrying myself to death if my son was not home at the time. Old, young a Parents worry does not go away with age. Blessings to the family, prayers go out to all of our kids in Fallbrook to make it home safe.

16. Frederick   October 31, 2013 at 6:34 am

It’s truly sad this young man was from my home town Tupelo,Ms he only been up there a little over a month he was a good humble young man R.I.P Shun Smith you will be truly missed

17. FR86   November 4, 2013 at 12:49 pm

To FVN:

Is there a reason that the Driver is not identified?

FR86

VILLAGE NEWS REPLIES: The authorities will not release the name of the driver. For some reason, we have noticed in the past six months, the CHP is very selective about releasing driver’s names. Not sure exactly why. We have requested that information and it has not been provided. Thank you. Debbie Ramsey