28-year-old man arrested for carrying concealed weapon

On Saturday evening, July 27, deputies with the San Diego County Sheriff’s Dept. responded to a call saying a man was suspiciously showing a gun to occupants of his vehicle in the parking lot of the Albertsons grocery store in the 1100 block of S. Mission Rd.

“As units arrived on scene, the vehicle was leaving the location,” said Lt. Todd Richardson. “The vehicle was followed and stopped in the center where Major Market is located in the 800 block of South Main.”

Richardson said Matthew Hass, 28, was the man determined to be in possession of the firearm.

“The weapon was recovered underneath the driver’s seat of [Hass’} vehicle,” said Richardson. “Haas was taken into custody without incident and later booked into the Vista Detention Facility for being in possession of a concealed firearm in a vehicle.”

The three passengers in Hass’ vehicle were identified, questioned, and released from the scene.

25 Responses to "28-year-old man arrested for carrying concealed weapon"

1. Dr. Jehan   July 29, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Isn’t it sad when our youth make dumb mistakes? Albertsons parking lot? Who does that? Some people are too comfortable here. This used to be a “friendly village”. Our town isn’t safe anymore. Use your brain.

2. Res.   July 29, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Wow, great tip. Quick work men.

3. Lee   July 29, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Thank you, Law Enforcement, for busting these modern-day Yosemite Sam …..!

4. get a life   July 30, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Californians are such wimps when it comes to guns.

5. Hermesse SensiMia   July 30, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Loser

6. Mr. Dad   July 30, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Wow !!!!!!!!

7. sh   July 30, 2013 at 9:10 pm

this guy is harmless. good hearted person who has a gun… woopdy doo… its sad that this town is so lame that this is what makes the paper.

8. For a Free America   July 31, 2013 at 9:01 am

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people with concealed weapons out there. 37 states have reciprocity agreements and allow the average non-criminal to carry. Only 9 states are as restrictive as California, where your government doesn’t really care if you can protect yourself. Criminals, of course, don’t care about the law and prefer doing their work in places where they know people are unarmed. I don’t know the man, but Mr. Hass may very well be the kind of person that we would all want to have a gun. I always feel safer when I’m around cops, even off duty cops, because I know they they are carrying.

9. Lee   July 31, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Gun owners, if you believe that WE, THE PEOPLE will live in fear while you are carrying your guns and threatening and bullying the rest of us like some modern-day Yosemite Sam, then you are SADLY mistaken! WE, THE PEOPLE will notify the authorities at the slightest sighting of your firearm faster than the speed of light and have Law Enforcement arrest your sorry Yosemite Sam rear-ends! Got it?! If you, gun owners, believe that you are going to move into peaceful and quiet Fallbrook, "The Friendly Village", thinking that this California town is the same as the hee-haw town and state where you came from, then you’ve got another thing coming! WE, THE PEOPLE, will NOT live in fear of you and your guns! WE, THE PEOPLE, will NOT live in intimidation! WE, THE PEOPLE, will NOT be threatened by your guns!

We, the people!

10. Queen   July 31, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Wish I could find ammo!

11. DR DR   July 31, 2013 at 3:05 pm

The problem with guns in California – MOST are not purchased for the reason of hunting to feed your family.

Legally "Purchased" guns to protect your family are indeed registered. And aaaallllll the other guns….for intimidation to get what you want, drugs, sex, goods, money…and if you don’t get your "big selfish self" what it wants….bam, so they can get what they want, NOW.

Selfishness destroys: self, friendships, relationships, marriages, companies and countries.

12. LMAO   July 31, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Would somebody please get Lee a straight jacket… and a glass of Merlot.

13. ...   July 31, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I don’t know about others on here, but Lee does not speak for me as part of "We the people". If the person is a responsible gun owner, then yes, you can have your gun, and I as part of "We the people" don’t mind. Thanks.

14. Seriously??   July 31, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Yosemite Sam??

15. grunt   July 31, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Lee, surprise but gun owners have already moved into Fallbrook. We the People have the RIGHT to own guns – yes, we voted on it – long ago. BTW, how long will it take law enforcement to get to you if you call the second you see a gun, and the guy with it should not have it as he is a criminal, maybe does not want to go back to jail? Sure – tell him "you can not shoot me with that gun, because if is illegal to have that gun". good luck with that.

16. Raider Fan   August 1, 2013 at 1:25 am

What an dummy.. Never show your weapon, thats 101 stuff..Wish i had ammo too Queen

17. Old   August 1, 2013 at 5:48 am

We are in a great decline from where we were 70 years ago. At that time I often took my 22 rifle and walked downtown to the police shooting range for target practice. In the late 50s I was working at Harvard University on the submarine program and had to do extensive traveling including India and the Philippines both very dangerous at the time so I carried a pistol. The only airport that asked if I was carrying a weapon was Singapore where I checked my pistol and when I left they gave it back. Had anyone tried to hijack the aircraft they would not have gotten very far. At that time we had no homeless drifters, or mentally deranged people running loose, girls and boys could safely walk to and from school. Today thanks to the liberals people who should be in institutions receiving medical care are roaming our streets. The same liberals think you and I should be unarmed and if we were there would be no gun deaths or crime. Having a gun in our automobile should not be a crime.

18. Queen2   August 1, 2013 at 6:21 am

Re queen..amen! Our current administrator has decided with all his power to make it Impossible for ammo to be bought..legally!

19. Pink   August 1, 2013 at 7:37 am

I think that I will wait and find out the actual circumstances of the incident before I judge Mr. Hass. The last time I looked "we the people" still had the right to a fair hearing. If he is a criminal and had the gun for nefarious reasons, then by all means, get him off the streets. If however, he had just bought a gun legally and couldn’t wait to show his friends, then he is probably only guilty of bad judgement. I agree with grunt here Lee, I don’t think it would be a real good idea for you to run up to someone who has a gun and say, "that’s illegal, that’s illegal, I’m calling the police right now". That probably would not be a good plan. BTW Lee, Yosemite Sam is a cartoon character, he isn’t real…..

20. LMAO   August 2, 2013 at 8:15 am

HIGH 5 PINK!!

21. Common Sense   August 2, 2013 at 9:15 am

Okay, so the kid obviously was showing off his gun, probably excited he just got it! That is one scenario, another could be that he had malicious intent..At this point we don’t know, right? One thing is clear though, he had a gun in the parking lot of an Albertsons. Why? It’s your right (per second amendment) to own a gun, yes, but what are the limits? People in North Carolina (talk about gun owners) don’t even carry their guns anywhere. They do what they want on their property, but their not at a local grocery store showing off their piece. Even they will tell you that’s pure stupidity.

The gun issue in America and more so in California is a pressing issue. You will have Americans for and against gun control, but the elephant in the room is the criminal. Guns are being acquired by the wrong people. They are using these very weapons to kill, and they are not using them for hobby purposes (like responsible gun owners). That is very clear in many parts of California. When our police officers get shot at in Southern California, that’s an issue! Gun owners have to see that they may have good intentions, but the criminal does not share those same intentions. It’s clear cut!!

22. Just wondering   August 2, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Why are some referring to this person as a "kid" he’s 28..

23. Res.   August 3, 2013 at 7:34 pm

If you act like a kid, I’ll call you one also. Adults have a home to show off there guns, not the parking lot. (Adults know better.) Am I the only person who feels “Lee” is a women? I have never heard such a chatty man. Sorry, just a question.

24. Lee   August 5, 2013 at 7:01 am

@ #23 Res.

I could be a woman, but I’m definitely NOT a women.

25. Tripplex   August 6, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Reguardless of our rights…. This was stupid stupid stupid. If you want a gun you can have one. Just don’t be a dumby and show it off around town… This guy still acts like a kid …The generation of youth growing up in our town today have no direction whatsoever.