FALLBROOK – It was a 67-year-old Fallbrook man who was killed when his car drifted off a road, struck a parked truck and crashed into an apartment building, medical examiners said today.

Frank Joseph Woynilko was driving a 1991 Volvo station wagon north on Alturas Street near Fallbrook Street at about 6:10 p.m. Thursday, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office and the California Highway Patrol.

For unknown reasons, Woynilko let the car drift into the parked truck on the right side of the road. The car then veered left, jumped a curb and crashed into the apartment building at 744 W. Fallbrook St., the Medical Examiner’s Office said.

Paramedics were called and declared Woynilko dead from injuries he sustained in the crash, according to the Medical Examiner’s Office and the CHP.

The CHP said it was unknown if alcohol or drugs contributed to the cause of the crash and the crash remained under investigation.

67-year old Fallbrook man fatally injured when his vehicle crashes into apartment building>

The California Highway Patrol has confirmed that last night, January 3, a 67-year-old Fallbrook man was fatally injured in an accident on Alturas Road near Fallbrook Street.

Officer Chris Parent said, “At approximately 6:08 p.m. a white male adult (60, Fallbrook) was driving his 1991 Volvo northbound Alturas Rd, south of West Fallbrook St., at approximately 25 to 30 mph. The driver of the Volvo hit a dip in the roadway and lost control of the vehicle, causing it to veer right where it collided with a parked Toyota Tundra.”

Parent said the Volvo “continued forward and to the left, crossing southbound lanes, and colliding with an apartment complex located at 744 West Fallbrook St.”

“The driver of the Volvo was unrestrained, suffered major head trauma, and succumbed to his injuries as a result of the collision,” said Parent.

Alturas Rd was shutdown for approximately an hour and a half, causing a minor delay to traffic.

The identity of the man has not been released by authorities at this time.

(previous story)

Older man driving Volvo station wagon perishes in crash into wall of apartment building at Alturas Rd./Fallbrook St.

Debbie Ramsey

Managing Editor

The California Highway Patrol has reported that a fatal accident occurred shortly after 6 p.m. at Alturas Road and Fallbrook Street.

The driver of a Volvo station wagon, estimated to be a man in his 60s, was traveling at high rate of speed on Alturas Road, hit a parked car, and then crashed into the wall of an apartment building located at 744 West Fallbrook Street.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

There were no passengers in the vehicle and no other individuals were injured.

Authorities are unsure what led to the crash. The Medical Examiner’s office will be involved in the investigation.

25 Responses to "67-year old Fallbrook man fatally injured after vehicle crashed into apartment building is identified"

1. aida mendez   January 3, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Hope they sirvived this terrible accident!

2. @aida mendez   January 3, 2013 at 9:49 pm

They didn’t survive. It says Single car "fatal" accident. The driver is dead.

3. Shannon Wilckens   January 3, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Sadly I do not think they did:( I live down the street and I saw a body bag:( My thoughts are with the family….

4. captain obvious   January 3, 2013 at 9:59 pm

@aidamendez "fatal" accident

5. And more!   January 3, 2013 at 10:03 pm

And a body in a truck in Albertson’s parking lot. And a shooting in De Luz. Dang.

6. a bystander   January 3, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Is it the water?????

7. jen   January 3, 2013 at 10:57 pm

They car that they are talking about almost hit my sister before hitting the corner of the apt. My soister , Thank God was driving slow enough she was able to pump her brakes or she would of been involved in the accident. Thank You God for saving my sister’s life.

8. fallbrookgirl   January 3, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I live in the complex. It was a sight ill never forget. Not wearing a seatbelt :(

9. Chelle   January 3, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Hey Jen!! Yes I’m so thankful she had a 2 second delayed. Thank god he missed our other resident standing outside! God be with the family of the driver. So sad

10. francisco   January 4, 2013 at 12:23 am

the city needs to do something about that particular section of fallbrook st, because people park the cars on both sides of the street and, there is not enough room for the cars going eastbound. I live on alturas rd and, and I almost got hit couple times by cars going eastbound cuse they always drive over yellow lines to avoid hitting the cars on the left side. Sorry about the loss. God bless you all

11. sad and sacred   January 4, 2013 at 4:24 am

Very sad and scary day..

12. IBAM   January 4, 2013 at 9:08 am

13. Resident   January 4, 2013 at 10:13 am

Busy day for the deputies yesterday. It was murder and mayhem across Fallbrook.

Seconding IBAM’s comment : What is going on in Fallbrook?

14. sad and sacred   January 4, 2013 at 10:21 am

Very sad and scary day..

15. J   January 4, 2013 at 10:51 am

@Francisco: People mostly drive over the line there because of that deep dip at the bottom of the hill. I cannot imagine hitting that dip hard enough to totally lose control of your car, though.

I was right there when it happened. Wear your seatbelts, folks. This was a survivable accident made fatal by a bad decision.

16. fallbrook res   January 4, 2013 at 11:24 am

@francisco – the ‘city’ can’t do anything about the street, there is no city of Fallbrook. Fallbrook is an unincorporated area of San Diego County. The roads are maintained by the County or the State. You may have noticed there is no City Hall, no city council, etc in Fallbrook. There is no government here to blame accidents on, just drivers who aren’t paying attention to the conditions. I’m sorry for this family’s loss but there is really no excuse for a 60 year old man to not be wearing his seat belt.

17. TRUTH   January 4, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Truth is there were two deaths within a mile that day. Alvin in his toyota in albertsons parking lot and this all around the same time kind of eerie! Dang

18. Renee   January 4, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I live in the apt where he crashed.My sympathies for his family and the shooting.I wil not forget yeserday.

19. TP   January 4, 2013 at 7:58 pm

This is my best friends father that passed away. We are devastated. She got the call today about her father and is now in Fallbrook.

20. CD   January 5, 2013 at 11:33 am

I can’t believe what I’m reading about my friends father, headed to Fallbrook in the morning to help, this is so tragic & a very sad time for the family & friends.

21. friend of frank   January 6, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I am so sad to hear this…. is there any information about the service/memorial time and place? Please post information, so I can attend.

22. Kathy   January 9, 2013 at 5:26 am

THATS MY MOMS BOSS! omg, he was such a great man! he had just lost his wife too about 3 years ago. RIP, we will be missed, he was such an amazing person, not only as a boss, but also just a friend.

23. services   January 9, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I believe his burial services will be Friday, 1/11/13 at 1pm at the Mira Mar National Cemetery.

24. Condolences   January 10, 2013 at 8:01 am

My heart goes out to the family of this man. I am glad that nobody else was hurt.

25. Winston Riley   February 21, 2013 at 4:00 pm

This was a good friend of mine. I’m so sorry for his son Joe and daughter Frankie. Both his kids were small when he and his wife and me were good friends in Hawaii. We stayed close and lost touch until I learned that Sue had died of lung cancer. I got the funeral card in the mail today but didn’t know until just now how Frank died. He was an amazing artist, great cook, always in good spirits and a lover of life. He had a swagger about him and a style all his own. He was a beloved friend and i’m devastated to think he isn’t still here. I ask everyone who reads and writes to think of him as a neighbor who would do about anything for anyone and to be respectful of his kids and their families. Rest in peace Frank. I love you brother.