Alcohol, methamphetamines contribute to death of Fallbrook residents

RAINBOW – Alcohol and methamphetamine use contributed to the death of a 73-year-old man who was killed along with a 5-year-old boy when the car they were in was swept into the Rainbow creek during a powerful storm two months ago, an autopsy showed.

Roland Eugene Phillips of Fallbrook was found dead near his overturned and sunken vehicle on the edge of Rainbow Creek on the night of Jan. 22. The body of Fallbrook preschooler Phillip Campbell was found in the rural waterway four days later following an extensive search.

Phillips was a close friend of the boy’s family. The official cause of death for both was drowning, but the county Medical Examiner’s Office added contributing conditions of alcohol and methamphetamine use, and hypertensive
and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease for Phillips.

The amount of methamphetamine present in Phillips’ system would have likely caused confusion and anxiety, according to published news reports.

21 Responses to "Alcohol, methamphetamines contribute to death of Fallbrook residents"

1. Lee   March 16, 2017 at 6:46 am

Wow, how utterly sad! A little innocent boy, who had his entire life ahead of him, died because of some irresponsible and selfish POS. What a crazy world we live in.

Unbelievable.

2. Terri   March 16, 2017 at 5:31 pm

He wasn’t a POS. He was helping in raising Phillip. Addiction is everywhere and with how high the water rose my father in law could not have saved Phillip much less himself. He was 73 and feble. We will continue Praying for Phillip’s Family and trying to grieve without people like you making us feel worse. It was a great loss for both families😭 I Pray you never have to go through this 🙏🏼 Roland & Phillip we best buddies 😇😇

3. TOO LEE   March 17, 2017 at 7:29 am

LEE NO BY NO MEAN A POS HE WAS A HUMAN WHO LOVED THE LITTLE BOY WITH ALL HIS HEART AND MADE A MISTAKE . PEOPLE LIKE YOU LEE IS WHAT MAKES THIS WORLD A SAD AND CRAZY PLACE BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO JUDGE PEOPLE. THANK THE LORD THAT IS GODS JOB AND NOT YOURS.

4. grunt   March 17, 2017 at 10:23 am

If you love someone, then why do you drive impeded? I don’t do drugs, and if I am going to drink I either stay home or have my wife drive – I would NEVER drive someone I loved while drunk, drugged or otherwise unable to fully function. I am sure he did not intend to kill this child, but this can not be considered a mistake. He was on drugs – knew he was – also maybe drunk (at least the article implies he was under the influence of both drugs and alcohol) – and knew he was. In most cases this is considered vehicular manslaughter a the least.

I have to agree with Lee – due to this incident, all the “atta-boys” are erased and a the time he was a POS

5. Liveoakparker   March 17, 2017 at 1:21 pm

What the heck is a 73 year old man doing on meth?

6. Concernd   March 17, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Where was the legal gaurdian ….. .(Sensored for potential libel issues)……………………………….. Good job ….. and cps .she should face charges for this..selfish.

7. Disgusted   March 17, 2017 at 9:44 pm

I knew this was coming. What kind of POS can’t keep his insensitive, judgmental, unnecessary opinion to himself when he knows that opinion is ONLY going to cause pain to those ALREADY in unbelievable pain? Do you feel better now? When I saw the news a couple of days ago, I KNEW that when the Village News published it, there would be the usual viciousness from the same POS citizens of Fallbrook who believe their right to post their offensive “opinion” is more important than the pain their words inflict on their neighbors who are already suffering. Friendly Village, my ass! I hope and pray that you, Lee and grunt, are not anyone that I know or ever cross paths with. I hope you are not my next door neighbor, my child’s bus driver or teacher, a member of my church, a juror, etc. Why is it ok for you to cause pain and suffering to the people of Fallbrook with your judgments and finger-pointing? I am not a member of the family but your words caused me immense pain. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain you have inflicted upon those who are suffering with the loss of two obviously loved family members. What is wrong with you?

• grunt   March 19, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Disgusted, Lee did not cause the pain, the irresponsible adult under the influence of drugs and alcohol did

• Lee   March 20, 2017 at 11:52 am

@ Grunt

Exactly! Thank you, Grunt, TRULY thank you! I greatly appreciate it.

@ Disgusted

You know, I was thinking about this incident over the weekend and your over-the-top theatrics are clearly nothing more than a bunch of smoke: you try to cover all bases yet you, in fact, have said nothing at all. But here is my main point to you . . .

Spare me your phony intellectualism and humanitarianism! Spare me, you phony hypocrite! Again, as Grunt correctly points out, the REAL culprit here is the old man and the REAL victim is the little innocent boy. And you have the audacity to criticize somebody who criticizes the culprit instead of the actual culprit?

Shame on you, Disgusted, shame on you!

The right thing to do is to honor the little boy and to criticize the old man!

What is wrong with YOU?!

8. Lee   March 18, 2017 at 7:46 am

@ Grunt

Again, thank you; greatly appreciate the support.

My dear fellow Fallbrookers, what a TRULY crazy world we live in! Instead of denouncing an addict, we now defend him EVEN IF HE HAS A DEAD LITTLE BOY AT HIS HANDS (TOO LEE and Terri)! You kill a little boy and a person has the shameless audacity to say that he loved the little boy.

UNBELIEVABLE!

What is sad in this situation is that folks actually defend an addict succumbing to his/her disease instead of denouncing his MURDEROUS act!

Absolutely pathetic and sad!

As Grunt correctly points out, if and when you love somebody, you do NOT hurt the person including killing him. (PLEASE do not waste my time arguing semantics whether or not this man technically killed this little boy! He did!) The man is drunk as a skunk and higher than a kite — yes, yes, please feel free to disagree yet again — kills a little boy in the process . . . and YOU, TOO LEE, have the nerve to shout into the world that the man . . . LOVED the little boy?!

Shame on you, shame on you.

9. Lee   March 18, 2017 at 7:48 am

@ TOO LEE

PS. You just judged me.

10. Lee   March 18, 2017 at 1:45 pm

@ Disgusted

No, I will not sit down and shut up. Sorry, I don’t jump when YOU whistle.

And when you do cross paths with me, what exactly are you going to do?

11. sol whan   March 18, 2017 at 4:46 pm

what about making a donation for this family?

12. Terri   March 19, 2017 at 2:04 am

These bad comments are making it worse on our family. Please let us grieve without your negative comments. Roland Loved Phillip as his own. They were best buddies and went everywhere together. Bad choice yes but Phillip always wanted to be with his best Buddie at all times. Please allow both Families to grieve. Thank you

13. No Matter What   March 19, 2017 at 4:23 pm

This little boy was subjected to a house full of meth users. They loved each other, but the drug use took over all common sense any of the adults ever had. This poor boy didn’t have a chance. If his death wasn’t caused by drowning in flood waters, it surely would have been due to something else. Children should not be subjected to bad choices some adults make. Addiction is horrible, yes. But subjecting children to the effects/consequences are worse!!! RIP sweet boy.

14. Don blamee   March 19, 2017 at 5:41 pm

I can see both sides.equally. too little too late? Maybe all the way around. The community of fallbrook has it’s own history.both good and bad.the old locals are survivors,some, at best. Anybody has the right to make a comment. Unfortunately, some do.perhaps those who seem justified should donate time before the next time.

15. Good Neighbor   March 19, 2017 at 6:10 pm

I am sure the 73 yr old man loved the little boy. It was still illegal for him to drive impaired. Stop trying to overlook the drugs and alcohol. It is a separate issue and is illegal. If he would have survived he could have been charged with at least manslaughter if alcohol and drug tests were administered at the time. Nothing makes that situation acceptable. The whole thing is truly tragic.

16. Good Neighbor   March 19, 2017 at 8:30 pm

I also want to mention that the uncle who helped with the search for the little guy stated on the news that meth ruins families. I did not know what he was referring to until I read about the toxicology reports for the driver of the car. The uncle was mad that the young boy was even taken out in that storm. Too bad he did not have custody of this little beloved boy. We can only hope that all the adults related to young Philip will get help and clean up their addiction in memory of this young man. I believe his father is in prison and the mother is also. That is why he had to live with other people. In memory, fix your life. Young Philip deserves it.

17. Preston   March 21, 2017 at 7:49 am

We all share in the responsibility to keep drugs out of our Country but unfortunately those that have not fallen prey to addiction believe they are superior to those that have and point the finger and blame. It is difficult to understand how frail human beings can become until you have to live their life. We face many problems in America and I guarantee you that we all share responsible for either failing to properly vote or not holding elected officials responsible and accountable when they do not fulfill the duties of the job.

18. Hmm   March 21, 2017 at 4:25 pm

This was not a surprise to people who knew of these persons. Meth does ruin people. But don’t defend the meth users! This little boy is now in the arms of a loving God…but please stop defending the meth users.

19. JESUS   April 14, 2017 at 2:38 am

SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PRAY FOR EVERYONE!