Authorities say motorcylist escaped serious injury in East Mission head-on

Authorities said today that a motorcyclist involved in a head-on collision yesterday, February 6, on East Mission Road escaped serious injury.

“He was lucky,” said Jim Bettencourt, public information officer for the California Highway Patrol.

In the collision, the man, who Bettencourt said is a Marine, was catapulted over the vehicle following the impact.

“He appeared to only have suffered road rash and moderate injuries; he was transported to Palomar Hospital for treatment,” said Bettencourt.

The crash occurred shortly after 5 p.m. and caused temporary closure of East Mission Road at Hamilton in both directions.

The CHP did not release the name of the motorcyclist or information on the other vehicle and driver involved. It is assumed the motorcyclist was the only person injured requiring medical treatment.

(former version)

Head-on between motorcycle and other vehicle causes closure of East Mission Road; traffic being diverted at Stage Coach Lane

Debbie Ramsey

Managing Editor

A head-on collision between a motorcycle and a vehicle shortly after 5 p.m. today (Wed., Feb. 6) has caused the temporary closure of East Mission Road at Hamilton in Fallbrook.

The California Highway Patrol is diverting traffic traveling eastbound onto Stage Coach Lane.

No additional information is available at this time from authorities.

Watch this website for more information as it becomes available.

7 Responses to "Authorities say motorcylist escaped serious injury in East Mission head-on"

1. Michele Howard   February 6, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Hello People!! Can’t you just slow down… and drive like a normal responsible and considerate human being? Please, please, please, just slow down…you’ll make it home to your family in one piece. I am so sick of drivers zooming around someone that may not be driving 60 miles an hour in a 45 mile an hour road. The speed limit is 45 miles an hour for a reason. It is so hard for residents who live off East Mission to get on to East Mission to either go into town or get on the 15 freeway. AND GET OFF YOUR CELL PHONES AND PAY ATTENTION!!

2. Pink   February 7, 2013 at 9:20 am

Well said Michele, I agree with you 100%.

3. Me   February 7, 2013 at 10:35 am

I agree Michele. People are so selfish. They forget they "share" the road with others who want to obey the law. My husband and I are always commenting on how unsafe these motorcyclists drive. The thing is if they want to end their lives that’s their deal. I, however choose to keep mine from injury or death when I am on the road.

4. grunt   February 7, 2013 at 12:22 pm

As a biker – actually as a human – I hate hearing of this. But as a biker, we should be able ot advoid head ons. 1) as Ms. Howard says, obey the law. 2) Be alert to what is going on in front, behjind and next to you.

5. TiredOfSpeeders   February 7, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I agree Michele. Also, on a side note, ever since the 76 widening, I get honked at and cut off for doing 55mph (the posted speed limit) People fly by me and I hate that extra third lane which is nothing more than a "floor it and pass" lane they put in at olive hill and 76.
    Would love to see more cops on the 76 maybe with their presence people would slow the heck down!

6. the man   February 7, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Yes we need the highway patrol on 76 speed limit is 55 but, people actually think is 76 mph, trust me I’ve seen people do 80 mph. My guess is that the highway patrol won’t do anything till we see more head oon coalitions.

7. Pooh Sticks   February 8, 2013 at 9:28 am

Too many young people believe that our highways are their personal playgrounds.