Base fire now 90% contained

The Juliet Fire that ignited at about 3 p.m. Monday afternoon on Camp Pendleton, is now 90% contained, according to fire officials. The blaze, which started on the southern portion of the Base, near the San Luis Rey (Vandergrift) gate, has now consumed 4,000 acres. Shortly after the fire erupted, a second one broke out about 4 p.m., merging with the first fire within two hours.

Camp Pendleton officials have said the cause of the fire is under investigation and states that no live fire or incendiary training was being conducted in the training area at the time the blaze began.

Multiple agencies including the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) and Cal Fire have assisted Camp Pendleton with fire fighting equipment and 150 firefighting personnel. Cal Fire has provided two strike teams of engines (10 engines), one helicopter, two fire crews, one air tanker, and five overhead. The USFS has provided six engines, one air tanker, one helicopter, and three helicopters. The County of San Diego has provided two strike teams of local government engines

111 Responses to "Base fire now 90% contained"

1. Bird   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I can see the smoke from my work window.

2. sprout knight   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

dude I can see the smoke and taste the ash,it’s pretty much in my backyard!

3. Joseph   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

the smoke is all the way to the cost with the wind

4. Christopher   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

5. DC   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Where are you guys that are commenting? Fallbrook?

6. me   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Not a fire every month. there’s been three in the past three weeks. what are they doing over there? president bush is probably starting them.

7. spud   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Where on Campen is it?

8. calmandnotfreaked   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

It’s still on the base, but the houses just outside of the back gate have been evacuated.

9. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

We can’t see the smoke but we can smell it. My mother who lives with us drove around and saw that is was huge! She saw the smoke but didn’t get close enough to see any flames.

10. Please inform us   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

To still worried update has moved to 4:40

11. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

What i want to know is how big it is. Can anyb one see smoke east of campenalton? Is it to the border of the base?

12. Christopher   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

"Those army men shouldnt be allowed to practice on such windy days. Jeopardizing all those homes is just ridiculous."

Because the terrorists don’t practice on windy days either?

FYI it’s a Marine Corps Base.

13. Freaked   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

This is scary.

14. Still worried   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Even though it’s under control there are still strong winds and that no one can control !! Just being cautious .

15. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

What is causing the fire if it is not the training? There are fires every month there about.

16. Kristen   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Is it near Sycamore Springs?

17. Marinetracker   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

those Army guys, first of all we are Marines not Army. Secondly the cause is not determined and not at or near any ranges so to say we caused it by training is ridiculous. And believe it or not us training keeps you safe at night and save our life’s where ever we need to operate. But i love all you guys and hope you appreciate us as much as i appreciate the civilians i joined to protect.

18. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Thay have the equipment to put it out, but if they wait, then the wind will blow it out of the base, and if that happens then they will pobably have to let regular fire men take care of it. It will take a lot longer that way, and might not get it out on time.

19. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Were is the update? Its 4:21…
    Im not too worried, unless it crosses the base’ boreder

20. long time resident   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

It’s a MILITARY BASE!!! They were here first. Deal with it or move to the desert and live in a bunker.

21. Please inform us   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Let us know how close it’s to jeopardizing Fallbrook is there any chance for it to come this way . I guess it depends on the winds . Almost a year now and here is the second fire besides the one in LA

22. calmandnotfreaked   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

It’s JUST a fire guys! No reason to get freaked unless you are living right there and refusing to leave after being told to evacuate. It’s on Camp Pendleton toward the gate…it’s moving south west. In the San Luis Rey area.

23. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

How big is it now?

24. LADYLEATHERNECK   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Army guys? Get a clue. This is a MARINE CORPS base, big difference between soldiers and Marines. You should know that if you live hear. PLEASE!

25. Proud American   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

props to the guy regulating the dumbass that doesn’t even know what Camp Pendleton is. Have a little respect for your country…

26. Tom   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Today is a holiday. Their not working!

27. ewa   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

how contained and how big is it??

28. calmandnotfreaked   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Papagallo and Alexandrine neighborhoods and San Luis Rey housing district on the base….fire is heading south west from there. These have all been evacuated.

29. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Will the person who’s user name is ME not put down the goverment so much, I bet you couldn’t do anythign as good if u were up there

30. me   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

the difference betweeen army men and MARINES is that the marines usually have a small man’s complex.

31. calmandnotfreaked   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Fire is pretty big, but firefighters are doing a great job at preventing the fire from moving towards the homes. Winds are blowing Southwest at about 12 mph…not too bad.

32. rebecca   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I’m high in rancho del oro and it appears to be right at the back gate. I can see all the houses high in Arrowood and it appears as though they are not threatened at this time. But it looks like the aircraft are dropping right next to them.Smoke is BLACK and highly toxic. close your windows! it looks like there is a couple of new outbreaks east of there though.

33. USMC Eagle   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

My Marines live in the barracks on the edge of the Juliet Training Area. You can see the flames clearly from the parking lot of Bldg 140107. The 14 area barracks are being evacuated. The real consideration here is where will the 1000+ Marines live if they are unable to control the fires? Everyone should be concerned, not just those immediately affected. Semper Fi.

34. rebecca   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I think they are evacuating Arrowood. Its within 50 yards of the community.

35. okguys   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Enough with the quarrelling…it was a misconception is all.

Anyway…any more news about the fire? Where’s our update?

36. calmandnotfreaked   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

It’s burned about 75 acres.

37. rebecca   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

100 acres-rapidly growing. CalFire and oceanside fd are also onsite. I have seen 2 superscoopers and 2 larger planes constantly dropping.

38. calmandnotfreaked   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Let’s just pray that this fire doesn’t turn into last year’s fire where it burned from Borrego Springs down to Rancho Bernardo!! We can be thankful that the winds are under control for right now. USMC Eagle: your marines are in my prayers! Semper Fi

39. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

IS IT NEAR FALLBROOK?????? IS IT GROWING TO THE WEST AS WELL??? SHOULD WE EXCPECT EVACUATION OR IS IT UNDER CONTROLL???? HOW MUCH IS IT UNDERCONTROLL????

40. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

That is an excelent idea. EVERY ONE OUT THERE, PRAY!!! If one can take a thousand and two can take 2,000, then how many can we take???? I am praying.

41. rebecca   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

it appears to be still heading north west so I think you’re fine in Fallbrook unless the winds change. The flames I can see are fire breaks I think…they are defineately on this one. I"ve lost count of the aircraft. Of course we only have a couple more hours until dark…

42. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I got to go now, but it looks like it might come in to Fallbrook for a little while. PLEASE, PRAY!!!!!

43. me   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Uh, 0.0: one can take a thousand? what??? i think its a scripture but what does that have to do with this fire???

44. momo   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Thank you Village News for having some coverage – even the fire news sites don’t have anything yet. I heard the Bonsall West Elementary School was evacuated (the after school program had students there). Any news about evacuations?

45. Christopher   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Because the terrorists don’t practice on windy days either?

FYI it’s a Marine Corps Base.

46. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Thank you Village News for the update, does any one know if Fallbrook should be excpecting evacuations? Or is it going in the other derection?

47. scgirl   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Don’t we all remember how fast the wind changed last year? Always be ready, always be prepared. This time of year, have your laundry caught up and know where your important papers are so you can grab and run, that’s my motto.

48. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Ugg… I hope we dont have to evacuate, it seems BIG! How big is it compared to the fire last year?

49. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Any one have any view of the fire out there? I can’t see it from here, all I can see is smoke… ANY INFORMATION PEOPLES?????? ‘0.0’

50. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

TY! You mean the fire is all the way down there!! It must be in a semi-circle! I live in Fallbrook, I can see smoke that looks like it is from Bonsall/Pendleton area I hope it is under controll, or we will have to start filling the car again… Can you SEE any flames????

51. Patrick berg   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

We live on Little Gopher Canyon Rd just south of Old River Rd (N/E Vista / Bonsall area) & the smoke seems thick & I can see an orange glow from here. Will post again latter if more details.

52. fw   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I just heard from my husband who is one of the fire fighters working on this fire. I pray that they will be safe and be able to contain this fire soon. God Bless all the firefighters.

53. tony   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

The fire close to Fallbrook is approximately a quarter mile west of sleeping indian on the west side of the base fire break and slowly moving north. Wind is calm so far and smoke is going west for now. Homes on sleeping indian are not threatened at this time as long as the wind continues to blow from the North East. It will just be another long fire watch night..just like last year.

54. deja vu   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Just to be sure, I am getting the suitcase out that I NEVER unpacked from last year with old pics and important papers. Gosh, I pray for all their safety.

And to LADYLEATHERNECK….Marines or Army, it is all identical!! The only thing that changes is the color or the uniform. I am PROUD of all of them because they train equally and risk their lives in the IDENTICAL MANNER. Let’s all pray the Marine’s homes are saved.

55. Freemans   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Well i live on stage coach in fallbrook and from where we live we can see the flames rising over the hill top

56. Patrick Berg   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

From our vantage point on Little Gopher Canyon / Old River it seems to flaring up again in Fallbrook off Sleeping Indian area. Saw some black plumes of smoke.

57. Alison   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

To Freemans: Don’t cause unnecessary panic. My parents live right off of Sleeping Indian Rd. They are packing a car just in case along with many neighbors. However, it is nowhere near Stage Coach or the actual town of Fallbrook.

58. newbee   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Thanks to everyone who keep sending in updates. It’s frustrating that we’re not seeing more on the news right now. We are currently in escrow on the place at the corner of Burma and Sleeping Indian…looking forward to moving out there-and learning more about the community. We hope the night goes well for everyone.

59. Renie   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I live on Alta Vista Drive in Fallbrook and have been watching the fire since it began. The fire is on Sleeping Indian’s head. The Sheriff’s department is calling this the "Sleeping Indian" fire. Thru binoculars I can see a single fire truck and pilot cars attempting to catch the fire from the Fallbrook side.

60. Oside Res   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Anyone know if the fire is out yet, or is it too big? I live in Oceanside around College and Old Grove. Just wondering which way it’s headed, if I have to worry or not!!

61. Renie   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Dear Debbie Ramsey: Have any homes been lost?

62. sleeping indian resident   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

EVERY THING IS UNDER CONTROL ALREADY RIGHT? dID THE FIRE GET ANY OF THE HOUSES.

63. wife   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

yes, there is another fire, not sure where but i can see it from my back porch.

64. friend of sleeping indian family   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

The fire has burned "hump hill" which is the head of Sleeping Indian (I think). Residents are being evacuated according to the Village News above. I’d just go. why wait?

65. Diane   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I live off Brooke behind the high school. We are on a hill and can see the flames on the head of the Sleeping Indian. It has been burning the west side of the head. The flames are very strong on the north ridge side of the head right now. The wind is to the west, but the fire is trying to get a hold on the east side. Please keep safe.

66. Just notified   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I was just told by a friend that there is another fire on Camp Pendleton let me know where it’s at was told ny Highway 5

67. ughh   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

sure hope thats not true but makes sense because arsonists are probably waiting for a field day due to this weather. I imagine they were gettin ready yesterday.

68. deja vu   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Newbee…..I hope this helps you a little. I think you are fine so far. I have been driving around all night, from Fallbrook to Vista, to Oceanside, to Burma/Sleeping Indian. It seems the fire is climbing the "head/feet" of the sleeping indian. The flames are huge. That is within a mile of your new house, but the wind is blowing the complete opposite direction from you.

When we were first up on Alta Vista (Renie has the best view), we could see the fire sort of ringing your new home area with bright orange flames. Now that area is totally dark and it appears they got it out (at least over there). However, having said that, that west side of sleeping indian is in trouble. The view of that area was scary from the Strawberry Hill area (that is at the top of East Vista Way by the Bonsall Bridge). I know that area very well, it is all custom homes with remote access. It is COVERED in avocado trees and brush. The brush is always out of control (growth-wise) in that area. I am definitely praying for all of them.

I looked at the satellite map and this fire is closer to my hou than the fire last year. I am also praying that the wind does not change direction because you can tell the fire is still out of control.

69. deja vu   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

sleeping indian resident….just to let you know, the fire is still "out of control" and there is no control time insight. That was just on the 10pm news.

70. Renie   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

No homes lost — Your update at 10:15 p.m. is very helpful. Thanks.

71. MrsH   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Hey Newbee,
    Welcome to Fallbrook!

72. Leah   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Village News- you rock! Because of you, I can go to bed knowing the fire is no-where where near me- thank you. I will keep those in my prayers who are up tonight dealing with this and pray no one loses their home. Thank you Village News for being the only source of news for us that is consistent and constantly updated so diligently.

73. cleo   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

11:30 pm = so. wjat’s happening now?

74. Kings Cup   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Wow i hate ignorant people coming on here and trying to blame the marines for a fire. that is ridiculous and he couldnt even get the branch of service right. theres a big difference between the army and the marines. TRUST ME

75. Not Again!   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

any updates? We can’t see any glow anymore, but are smelling some smoke now. Does anyone know what is going on?

76. HB   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Does anyone know what the sleeping indain/indian head fire is up too…Which way is the fire moving?

77. niki   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

i work in the 14 area, and live on alturas rd in fallbrook, i have been watching from my apt and I can’t see anymore flames either, but i can still smell the smoke. I heard that one of the barracks near my shop caught on fire, but i’m not sure if that really happened. I know all my MARINES where evacuated from that area. If anyone has heard anything can you let us know, because I don’t want to drive to work in the morning and my shop be gone. you know.

78. ktbug   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I was there last year and in the bad previous fire evacuation prior to that. In Spokane WA now watching closely fire at Camp Pendleton. Have a daughter in Valley Center. Which direction is the wind blowing?
    I feel for you guys. Stay Safe.

79. BoriLES   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Yes, kudos to Fallbrook Bonsall Village News!! I stepped out of my apartment(Fallbrook). I don’t smell any smoke where I’m at either. I pray for everyones safety.

80. cooolio   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

when i was going to school.. roughly 645 am. the fire had just broken out to the left of st peters if your facing it.

dont knwo what happened since

81. tony   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

We have a direct view to the fire over here…Morrow Hills "hump hill" is completely consumed with fire heading east and north slowly. Western face is burning strongly to the south via favoring winds which are blowing due south at the moment. My guess is that southern sleeping indian down towards old river road is a mess, but can’t confirm. North sleeping indian up to burma road looks quiet for now.

82. Georgiana Webber   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Any new fire news on the Sleeping Indian area?

83. luvithere   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Thank Village News for keeping us updated throughout. I saw Blue heron B&B on channel 8 last night…is anyone near there that can tell me if they are okay? Newbee…welcome to socal and santa ana winds. Make sure you can get your new home insured.

84. BoriLES   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

85. Concerned parent   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I was just reading that there is a fire near Fallbrook St. is this fact ??? Please inform and let us know what is going on as my kids are at school now and they are in that area

86. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

im praying for them too. We should all pray for the Fire fighters and teh reporteers and the homes

87. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

WOW! Still no update!

88. Fallbrook St Res   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Does anybody know about a small fire starting on Fallbrook St./St. Peters Drive? Was this just a false alarm? Heard sirens and got a report that this was where they were going. Also saw a couple of copters… Don’t see or smell smoke, however…

89. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Should we (people who are further East around the Comunnity Center) be ready to evacuate or not?

90. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

i looked out side and saw no smoke, and smelt hardly any, there was only a firish glow around the horizon.

91. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I just walked around outside and looked everywere to teh west and North, but there is NO smoke or even a hint of it in teh air! I live near the Community Center, anyone see any? Im almost convinsed that it is out!

92. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Does any one know if it has broken the fire barrier in to Fallbrook?

93. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Were’s our update! It’s 7:57. I am near Fallbrook St., and there is no smoke anywere, the sky is completely clear all around. Do you guys know if the fire stopped, or is it still going? Can anyone see anything?

94. jane   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

again thanks for the coverage on fallbrook/bonsall-so difficult to see the red glow and smoke @11 pm and not be able to find out info.- would love to have a boundry map of fires in your coverage if possible- thanks

95. Booyah   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

whats up with the house fire next to st. peters. saw it driving to palomar about 40 minutes ago. I hope it hasnt spread to any other homes and i pray everyone got out.

96. Newbee   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Again- I have to say thanks to everyone for their updates and Village news for the updates too. It’s frustrating not getting the info on the tv news! Hoping they get control of this soon now that the sun is up! We’re looking forward to being neighbors soon! Tinacasola@yahoo.com, would love to connect with new neighbors and learn more about the going on in the area. Good luck today to everyone!

97. wwwtttt   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

apparently the fire was a motor home and it burned but the fire has been put out.w

98. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

it seems as if it has stopped is that so? it really seems like it has stoped

99. dooo   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

the fire next to saint peters was put out all that was lost was a motor home trailer in the persons backyard

100. 0.0   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

do you think that they will update it? Can anyone see the fire!?!?!??!

101. Concerned   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Please notify of us if there is a fire near St Peters

102. Georgiana Webber   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Any new fire news on the Sleeping Indian area?

103. dado   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

damn, like 5 fires just sprang up around the county in the last 2 hours or so. Ridiculous

104. deja vu   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

There is a third fire. It is at Las Pulgas and the 5 freeway. The 5 freeway is closed at the 78 and all northbound exits are closed. The southbound is closed in San Clemente. The CHP are turning the northbound lanes around and they are driving through a big opening in the center divider to go back south and around to the 15 freeway. Traffic looks like it is backed up way below Carlsbad. What a mess that will be.

The smoke looks like it is all white. I thought that indicated that the fire was going out, but that is not what happened in Fallbrook 20 2005. I was in Temecula with a firefighter friend and watching that fire. I commented at the time about the white smoke meaning the fire is being put out and the firefighter told me I was incorrect. He said the color of the fire only meant a difference in fuels? I guess bottom-line is that there is a huge plumb of smoke at Las Pulgas and I haven’t heard if it is being put out or not.

105. newbee   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

At least this one is on the other side. What’s the wind like in Fallbrook? Not to bad here in Vista by the 78. Thinking possitive thoughts for everyone.

106. resident   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I have zero wind, just an orange cast to the sky.

107. Fallbrook resident   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Well i am kind of close to Camp Pendleton and it’s a little windy not too bad but it’s getting hot hopefully everyone is ok and we don’t have anymore around Fallbrook area

108. BoriLES   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Very very slight wind in Fallbrook. No sign of smoke as far as I can see. Looking good. Keep well everyone.

109. newbee   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

110. Mary   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Thank you, thank you, Village News! One more time, I’ve been able to track the fire danger from my second home in the Seattle area! You got me through the disaster last year, and I’m counting on you again! Kudos to your reporters who really stay on top of things, and God bless all of my Fallbrook friends and neighbors!

111. Chris   February 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Another fire. Seems to be a common thing around here lately!