CAMP PENDLETON – Camp Pendleton artillery units are scheduled to fire a ceremonial 21-gun salute at the Pacific Views Event Center between 4:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 22. An additional test fire will also be conducted earlier in the day.

The firing is part of a ceremony commemorating the landings on Iwo Jima during World War II.

The center is located at the Southwestern part of base, near Interstate 5 and the base’s Main Gate.

Depending on atmospheric conditions, the sound may be amplified and heard up to 50 miles away.

The Battle of Iwo Jima took place between 19 February and 26 March, 1945. More than 6,800 Marines and sailors were killed during the fighting. The famous flag raising on Mt. Suribachi took place during the battle.

7 Responses to "Battle of Iwo Jima to be remembered with 21-gun salute on Camp Pendleton Sat., Feb. 22"

1. Lee   February 21, 2014 at 12:40 pm

When will we finally understand that war does not work? When? When will we finally learn from the past? When?

History serves one and only one purpose: that you and I, the living, learn from the dead.

2. grunt   February 21, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Lee – 1) Revolutionary war – freedom from GB, 2) War of 1812 – among others stopped the impressment (slavery) of American seaman 3) Civil War – kept the Union together and ended slavery (and I am a southerner!) 4) WW2 – Stopped Nazism and Japanese, 5) Korean War – defended an ally….I could go on but you are still spinning on your "Joe Biden is a war criminal, is not a war criminal, is a war criminal" so you are probably too dizzy to understand. As long as evil men live, violence will be required, I know you do not have the ….hm,,(what will Debbie let me get away with?)…grapes to defend you and yours, so get out of my way and I will defend you.

3. Arigato   February 21, 2014 at 6:53 pm

When will you finally understand that you might have had to learn Japanese.

4. When?   February 22, 2014 at 7:21 am

When will we finally understand that Lee is a complete lunatic? When will he just go away?

5. Sampuggers   February 22, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I like that Lee does these posts. The responses make me realize how many intelligent, rational, THINKING adults are in my community. :-)

6. Redneck Bill   February 23, 2014 at 12:26 am

This ceremonial 21 gun salute isn’t about the validity of war. It isn’t about learning any lessons. It isn’t about Republicans or Democrats.

This ceremony is about honoring the amazing American heroes who answered what they understood to be their call to defend their country, many of whom gave their life in this pursuit.

In a perfect world, this would not be necessary. But as one who bathes in the luxury of liberty on a daily basis, I am in awe of the sacrifice these patriots have made on my behalf. And I will be reminded of their patriotism when I hear the 21 gun salute.

7. Pink   February 23, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Thank you RB. My thoughts exactly.