BREAKING NEWS: Fallbrook Hospital suspends maternity services

FALLBROOK – Fallbrook Hospital, operated by Fallbrook Hospital Corporation (Community Health Systems) has filed a request to suspend maternity services at Fallbrook Hospital effective September 3. Area EMS agencies and other hospitals are being notified of this suspension and the operating company says they are “working through the transition with the support of Fallbrook Healthcare District.”

According to Fallbrook Hospital spokesperson Monique Murphy-Mijares: “This decision was made after reviewing medical staff resources and the number of births at the hospital and in our community. The number of babies we deliver has steadily fallen over the past few years and there are now only two obstetricians on the medical staff. These changes have made it difficult to sustain OB services.”

“We understand this may be concerning to expectant mothers and are working with physicians to transfer their patients’ care to another hospital if they are scheduled to deliver after September 3. Women in Fallbrook will still be able to deliver their babies close to home at two area hospitals that offer labor and delivery services.”

“Our first priority is ensuring all of our patients continue to receive quality care. Though obstetric services are being suspended, patients who are experiencing a medical emergency – obstetrics-related or otherwise – should not hesitate to come to the Fallbrook Hospital emergency room. The hospital has an experienced emergency department team trained to provide emergency medical care and, if needed, make arrangements for a transfer to a higher level of care.”

31 Responses to "BREAKING NEWS: Fallbrook Hospital suspends maternity services"

1. NunJoBizness   August 22, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I’d think with all the illegals coming over here to have their kids, the maternity ward would be quite busy these days….

2. knows healthcare   August 22, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Ah, the joy of for profit healthcare. CHS is in business to make money. They take over small hospitals and chew them up all over the country. Obamacare isn’t hurting the healthcare system. The for profits, including what used to be the nonprofit Blue Cross of california, have done that job already.

3. NunJoBizness the real juan   August 22, 2014 at 10:42 pm

I saw this coming with NunJoBizness comment #1 opening up that mouth every chance she gets I knew for a fact all those babies were being swallowed

4. FallbrookResident   August 23, 2014 at 8:52 am

Good, I delivered my son in this hospital & the staff were very unfriendly and looked as if they didn’t know what they were doing. Never again will i go there again & i do NOT recommend it to anyone!

@NunJoBizness lets keep the racial comments to ourselves please!!

5. RMWD ratepayer   August 23, 2014 at 11:18 am

Yes. The profit motive, pursued without regard to anything else, has the potential to damage or destroy institutions that are of benefit to us all.

6. Fallbrook Mom   August 23, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I had both of my children at Fallbrook Hospital and I am very sad to see that they are planning to close the maternity ward. It was wonderful to have babies close to home and with my friends and family friends working around me.

7. Bullsh***   August 23, 2014 at 5:15 pm

This is so pathetic ha .

8. CA Nurse   August 23, 2014 at 6:39 pm

As a Nurse at Fallbrook Hospital, I truly think that the hospital needs to close. The incompetence of the administration has taken a major toll on the facility over the past 3 years. This is evident with everything that has happened at the hospital in the recent past.

9. IgnoranceIsBliss   August 23, 2014 at 7:01 pm

It just goes to show just how much the average person knows about healthcare economics….. Really its no different than running your household… If you don’t need it then why keep spending money; that you don’t have to pay for it…

It has absolutely nothing to do with the number of anchor babies (so called illegals) or payors and for profits ruining the system. It is simple economics … which in this case results in doing what makes sense, close services you don’t have a demand for, in order to ensure you keep the services that are necessary to service the needs of the community.

10. Wally   August 23, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I’ve raised three kids in Fallbrook and never considered for a second that any of them would be delivered at Fallbrook Hospital. Trust me people, this is not the end of the world.

11. ME   August 23, 2014 at 11:19 pm

#2-what, may I ask, is your profession?

12. Ann Glass   August 24, 2014 at 12:54 am

Give me a break. There’s nothing wrong with the hospital administration. Don’t you think it has something to do with 4 large hospitals opening just in the last couple years? It’s just a case of flooding the market with bigger, newer places to go.
    Fallbrook is a fine hospital. I’ve been there for surgery recently and the staff was great. I’ve had other surgeries in the past, as well as most of my family. My family has been going there for over 20 years and I’ve had babies there as well. It was a great experience.
    We will suffer as a community if we don’t have a quality hospital in town. I would love to see Sharp or Scripps take it over and it really would be nice to have a facelift of the facility as well.

13. Justwondering   August 24, 2014 at 9:00 am

Related story on stolen identiies from fallbrook hospital..this has been in the making for years..ever since Corey Seale left.back in the day this hospital was a good one..one that was clean..convenient and cared.why does this suprise anyone..first the cardiac center..then these services..it’s like amputating one limb at a time.

14. Tax Payer   August 24, 2014 at 12:05 pm

To NunJoBizness–Ain’t that the truth!?!

15. JDoll   August 24, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I always thought that the healthcare district fee we pay on our property taxes went to Fallbrook Hospital; this 1.5 mil was being used to subsidize the hospital. I was wrong.
    Instead, this 1.5 mil goes to the boys and girls club for free food handouts and cooking classes, vans for seniors, REINS, etc. You can call me uncaring about these other "health" programs but I’d like to see our tax dollars sent to the hospital.

16. exemployee   August 25, 2014 at 8:51 am

I really feel sorry for the employees. They must be freaking out. I once worked there and there are employees that care. CHS’s approach is that employees are disposal. Burn them out and send them on their way. Yes, there are newer and better hospitals closing in on Fallbrook but instead of adjusting to the market they just stayed the course. It is way to late to adjust. Closing is the only option now. If some other entity comes in and takes over, do not expect the facility to stay as a hospital.

17. Liz D   August 25, 2014 at 9:16 am

Fallbrook hospital is not the best hospital either and NunJoBizness not only illegal people have kid so keep your racist comments to yourself stupid people these days

18. We Them Boyz   August 25, 2014 at 9:34 am

BURN DOWN FALLBROOK HOSPITAL Just Kidding CLOSE THAT PLACE DOWN

19. DR DR   August 25, 2014 at 11:09 am

Employees better get their app’s out, there will be no hospital soon, adding to the unemployment lines.

The nurses and doctors are the caring individuals, have gone to school, educated themselves to help others. CHS does not care about you or I.

Both Urgent Cares in town are a great. I have been to both, not wanting to spend the extra money at the hospital. If you call first, it is cheaper than a walk-in.

20. Pam CNM   August 25, 2014 at 11:53 am

I delivered many a baby at Fallbrook Hospital many years ago. When it was a community hospital it was a great small hospital providing excellent care. Yes Cory Seale was a great administrator, those were the days. The day the tax payers decided not to support the hospital anymore was the beginning of the end. For profit hospitals are just not very effective in small towns. Sad to hear this, but it was inevitable. I will always have many fond memories of this institution & community.

21. Not important   August 25, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I worked in L&D for 8 and the hospital for 10. A new director came in and decided this department needed another RN so as everyone says, they don’t care about their employes, I was without a job after 10 years of caring for our community. Well now she is jobless and she was probably the beginning of the end of that department along with the Director of Nirsing who was another winner!

22. Had 3   August 25, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I had my children at FH and had wonderful experiences each time – wonderful caring nursing staff that saw to it I had the best labor experience possible. Sad to see this change, hopefully it’s just a short term situation. Good people work at FH and Fallbrook needs a good hospital.

23. ERIN   August 25, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Aye carumba!

24. grunt   August 25, 2014 at 2:52 pm

@Liz D. Tell me, please what NunJobuinsess said that was "racist"? Stating an unpleasent fact, or just not in agreement with you? Fact: Many illegals come here and have babies. Fact: Many Mexicans in Fallbrook wear cowboy hats and boots. Fact: Germans seem to like saugases. None of these statements are racist. If you disagree, or agree, it STILL IS NOT RACIST.

25. Not important   August 25, 2014 at 3:04 pm

To CA nurse, boy you go that right. If CHS would have wiped out upper management they would have had a chance and their reputation would not been so bad. It’s not the people who work there, it’s the ones that manage and make the decisions.

26. Raised in Fallbrook   August 25, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I know a whole family that was born and raised in Fallbrook, all of them came out with some sort of problem.

Its a blessing for this hospital to be shut down, maybe someone else will take over.

27. La Verda   August 25, 2014 at 6:12 pm

The truth is CHS does not want Fallbrook Hospital and let it run into the ground, so they could say "we are losing money".

28. Vickie K   August 25, 2014 at 11:18 pm

@Pam CNM
    I am so thankful to have had Dr. Egan deliver two of my children and they Pam Christman. I truly feel that I received the best years of Fallbrook Hospital. I’m sad to see that it’s declined to this state, but it was inevitable. Thank you to all of you who served this community as hospital staff and gave the best years to this facility. I am thankful that my children are now basically grown and I don’t have to be suddenly forced into another system in another community. What is happening to our town?? We need some positive change for sure!!

29. Leticia Maldonado/Stamos   August 26, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Every community is a refection of its residents. The hospital is holding community meetings this week and next, I believe. Let’s see how many of us Fallbrookians come out and participate.

30. CaCoCo   August 27, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Pam CNM. You delivered my son many years ago. He was one of the smallest babies ever born at FH. You and the respiratory tech keep him alive till the Children’s Hospital Team from Sam Diego could get him to a NICU. The reason you and the RT. were taking care of him was because the on-call Pediatrician threw his hands up in the air and stated "I have nothing to work with here (meaning my son) the other reason was the staff Nurse was just worried about me staying in bed, instead of letting me see my son before he was taken away. on a personal note, Pam he is doing better than any doctor felt he would and I have you to thank. (Not Fallbrook Hospital).

31. FrostyColdOne   August 27, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Duh, this is what happens when 95% of the births in the hospital don’t pay their bills, just grab their birth certificate and run out the door.