Brush fire quickly extinguished at Wilt Road and Camino Zara

Shortly after 3:15 p.m. today, Friday, May 23, emergency responders reported to a call of a brush fire near the intersection of Reche Road and Camino Zara in Fallbrook.

According to John Buchanan, public information officer for North County Fire, firefighters contained the fire to 1 1/2 acres before getting it fully extinguished.

“No structures were destroyed and no one was hurt as a result,” said Buchanan. “The cause of the fire is under investigation.”

(previous story)

Shortly after 3:15 p.m. emergency responders were enroute to a report of a brush fire near the intersection of Reche and Wilt Roads.

Early indicators are that authorities may have to close Reche Road from Gird to possibly Old Highway 395.

**Watch this site for updates as they become available.**

20 Responses to "Brush fire quickly extinguished at Wilt Road and Camino Zara"

1. Paul   May 23, 2014 at 7:57 pm

A very grumpy volunteer deputy would not tell me how and why Reche was blocked and how I could get to my wheelchair bound off of Wilt Rd could could be reached. 395 at Reche was also blocked but the CHP told me to go to Pala Mesa Drive to get onto Wilt. What a difference in attitudes, the professional CHP makes me proud!

2. Just wondering   May 23, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Will that get the property owners along reche to mow those weeds and remove all the brush? Why don people get\’d think after the fires. People would start hauling and cleaning their weeds…and brush..c\’mon !

3. KulMom   May 23, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I wondered what all the sirens were about this afternoon. Thank you first responders for keeping us safe & thank you VN for keeping us informed!!

4. THANK GOD FOR...   May 24, 2014 at 6:44 am

Thank God for our local firefighters, today and everyday. North County Fire Protection District firefighters from Stations 1, 2, 3,, 4 and 5 and the CAL FIRE firefighters from the Red Mountain and De Luz Fire Stations.

And all the firefighters, who came to our aid, from surrounding areas and from throughout the state,during the siege of wildland fires, last week, including the US Forest Service (Cleveland National Forest), CAL FIRE, Orange County Fire Authority, Aerial firefighters from Ramona and Ryan (Hemet) Air Attack bases, US Marine Corps water dropping helicopter pilots, Camp Pendleton Fire Department civilian firefighters, Hotshots and handcrews, bulldozer operators, and ALL THE ADDITIONAL FIREFIGHTERS, who provided mutual aid assistance.

5. Happy Atheist   May 24, 2014 at 11:58 am

Glad for our firefighters too.

6. Brookie   May 24, 2014 at 12:22 pm

@Just wondering……I live on Reche and have lots of weeds. This is a concern for me also. Being recently widowed, I can not do it nor have funds to have someone come out at this time. You are welcome to come on over and lend a hand. Also, no one was expecting the fire season to start so early.

7. GRUNt   May 25, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Brookie – I am sure you are not alone in being unable to clear the weeds. This sounds like a great project for a church group or boy Scouts, possible some group like CERT could coordinate. I am sorry for your loss.

8. Justwondering   May 26, 2014 at 10:01 am

@brookie..also sorry for your loss.weve been busting our backs and our hoes clearing our own brush. Also quite a bit of out of pocket expense..but that’s what responsible property owners do.Its irresponsible for any reason to allow a tinder box on ones property. I like the suggestion of community groups..but who makes that decision? Maybe the state could allow some of the orange suits that pick up the freeways..I’m not unsympathetic to your cause..believe me.but one persons fuel can contribute to many others losing homes. Maybe contact the high school for volunteers..even the marines have a program to help them…now seeing the difficulties maybe someone who can….will. Thanks brookie and hope this brings light to some of the reason..good luck.

9. Brookie   May 26, 2014 at 10:11 am

@GRUNt….Thank you for your suggestions! I will contact them to see if any of them would be willing to help. I have a riding mower and the belt is broken. Have not been able to get it on. Maybe if some one out there can even help with that I would be most thankful!

10. Lee   May 27, 2014 at 10:48 am

Overpaid, expensive and state budget-draining firefighters actually do their job. Details at 11.

11. Brookie   May 27, 2014 at 2:13 pm

@Lee….Are you serious???? You could not pay me enough to do what they do. 100+ deg, heavy suits and working shifts that keeps them away from their families …I bet you wouldn’t even go outside and pull weeds with a beer in one hand on a hot day. So this happened to be a small fire, could have been worse!

12. Lee   May 27, 2014 at 4:44 pm

@ #11 Brookie

I see somebody’s been drinkin’ their Koolaid!

That is their job. Hello!!!! And they only work about 10% of the time of the year. The rest of the time they (A) lobby for and have fancy fire stations built, (B) wash their trucks, (C) work out, (D) make chili, (E) participate in mandatory marches down Main Street to spread the Koolaid, and (F) trim their mustaches.

You were saying? Raise your standard, girl!

13. grunt   May 27, 2014 at 8:38 pm

The fire fighters lost a man as a result of the fires – left here, returned home and died – cause as of yet unknown – fairly young man but maybe have been heart attack. The price he paid to "overpaid, expensive and budget-draining". These guys and gals not only used physical skills, but the management of the assets, moving teams around and keeping us safe protecting our homes working long hard hours was well worth the expensive. If they have to fight not one more fire, respond to not one more accident, this "expensive budget-draining" group has my thanks. Lee – what did you do for a living? How did you contribute? (you won’t answer, I know – ashamed?)

14. Pink   May 28, 2014 at 10:00 am

Lee couldn’t and wouldn’t do what they do, that is why he resents them so much.

15. Brookie   May 28, 2014 at 1:55 pm

@Lee….They not only fight fires, they also save lives. I hope that they read this and if you ever need them to come to your aid at home do to a heart attack or auto accident, that they say oh it just Lee, lets keep playing cards! I bet they had a real fun time when that woman jumped off the bridge and they had to pick up body parts. These are “real men”….grow up!

16. Lee   May 28, 2014 at 2:31 pm

# 15 Brookie

Oh btw, what you are proposing that firefighters do, i.e., NOT coming to somebody’s aid, is ILLEGAL.

I hope Law Enforcement reads YOUR comment! Good luck!

17. observant   May 28, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Firefighters have an important job but at the same time they are just a cog in the wheel of society. They get paid well for what they do, typically retire at a high percentage of pay and at a relatively young age. When job openings arise there are no shortage of applicants. That says quite a bit about the job.

Yes, it’s dangerous but so are quite a few other jobs.

I’ve always thought the toughest part would be living with a bunch of other men.

18. Justwondering   May 29, 2014 at 7:18 am

…all I suggested was that land owners take responsibility for their property to lessen the possibility of others loosing their homes.

19. Pink   May 29, 2014 at 9:22 am

@Lee: What Brookie said in comment #15 isn’t against the law, it is his or her right to freedom of speech and expression; the very same right that you have to make ridiculous and inane comments. However Lee, if I were you I wouldn’t worry, firefighters and paramedics are men and women of honor, they will still gladly respond and attempt to save your life should the need ever arise. The fact that you wouldn’t appreciate it is neither here nor there.

20. grunt   May 29, 2014 at 10:07 pm

@Observant – yes, you are correct – the comments supporting fire fighters are mostly in response to the attacks on them. Marines, firefighters, cops, teachers all volunteer for their jobs; many, probably most of us, could not do their jobs; many try and fail (the % of teachers that quit after the first couple of years is huge). None of the above are over paid – for military and firefighters, cops, after 20 years or so of doing it the physical toll tends to eliminate them from continued service. Fire fighers are men and women – so living with a bunch or women isnot that ease, either. The worst part I think is dealing with dead kids.