Corporal Tevan Nguyen killed Dec. 28 in Afghanistan

Corporal Tevan Nguyen, 21, of Hutto, Texas died December 28 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. Nguyen was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton.

Today, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger issued the following statement:

“Corporal Tevan Nguyen was a brave Marine who gave his life in service to our country. Maria and I were deeply saddened to learn of his death and we will forever be grateful for his sacrifice. On behalf of all Californians, we extend our sympathies to Tevan’s friends and family during this difficult time.”

In honor of Cpl. Nguyen, Capitol flags will be flown at half-staff.

31 Responses to "Corporal Tevan Nguyen killed Dec. 28 in Afghanistan"

1. JP   December 29, 2010 at 5:05 pm

RIP Hero.

2. IBAM   December 29, 2010 at 6:09 pm

My deepest sympathies to the family of yet, another fallen hero.

3. Rockygurl2   December 29, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Amen to JP’s comment, but what about all the other soldiers from CA who have given their lives?

4. Marine Wife   December 29, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Cpl Nguyen, you are truly a brave American and a true hero to all of us…may you rest in peace…my prayers and thoughts to your family

5. vietnam vet brother 68   December 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I ‘am very sorry for your loss , this is the 1’st time I have ever had a comment in 40 years, Bless him I do not have word’s to tell you how sorry I’am , time has stand still for you I pray for your loss people ask me how I do this after 40 years I take each day at a time I never forget, the word I use, and I have taught myself I cope with it . God Bless you, vietnam Brother

6. Cpl Istre, Jason   December 29, 2010 at 8:41 pm

As a Marine, he was among the finest, as a person he shook the ground with his humor and genuine character. I worked with Cpl Tevan Nguyen side by side and was very proud to have such a fine friend and brother in arms. He and I, along with a small number of other Marines went through several courses together, one of which was a martial arts instructors course where he showed his undying will to fight every single day and was yet another great inspiration to us all. May God keep his soul near. For the ungrateful, know that great men give absolutely everything they have, or may have ever had in their future for our saftey and security. For those who are thankful, we all appreciate your support. Rest well my friend, we will meet again.

7. Charles Obermiller   December 29, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I will always remember Tevan playing football for Hutto High School. RIP Tevan

8. Reynaga Family, Hutto, Tx   December 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Our deepest sympathies to the family of Tevan. May you rest in peace and thank you for sacrificing your life for us.

9. Hutto, Texas   December 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Tevan was a couple years behind me. I never had the honor to meet him. I heard he was amazing and loving…my prayers to the family….Hutto Lost another Hero….God Bless

10. Dave Kinnaman   December 29, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Tevan was one of my brightest economics students. I remember him well. God Bless you, Tevan.

11. Marine Mom   December 30, 2010 at 6:53 am

My prayers for you Corporal, and your family. Thank you for your service to our country.

My son had the privilege to serve with you this fateful day. The following are excerpts from an email I received from my son.

12. Robert Reyes   December 30, 2010 at 9:10 am

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CARING WORDS AND PRAYERS!!! Tevan was one of my best friends, he was a brother whom I looked up to. When we were in high school we worked out every night together and became family. We always had so much energy after working out so we always were like kids and we always tried staying awake till the next morning or even just finding random things to keep ourselves busy in the middle of the night. Tevan always said we should try to stay awake for days and he used to call them missions. Alot of times we succeded but most of the times we also used to just fall asleep. He was there for me through my ups and downs and I will always thank him for that. I will miss you so much dude. R.I.P Cpl. Tevan Nguyen. Love you much kiddo.

13. Nguyens Sgt   December 30, 2010 at 9:21 am

Tevan Nguyen, best friend, good father, and excellent marine…. I still cant believe you are gone brother. Was just yesterday you were here at the Battalion in WA State. We will all miss you and never forget you. Your smiles and motivation make me strive to re-enlist and lat move to grunt. You my brother were the definition of a well rounded Marine. My prayers and best wishes go out to his family and friends such as Cpl Istre and the Marine Mom.

Marines keep your goals high, head low and move forward in life!

14. Dan Pflaum   December 30, 2010 at 11:19 am

Rest In Peace. God bless you, your courage and commitment.

15. Lisa Kridner   December 30, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I had the honor of being Tevan’s first grade teacher. He had a wonderful sense of humor and was a very loving and protective big brother to his sister, Tamara. I know that he will be missed by many. I am so sorry for his loss.

16. Cpl Teague   December 30, 2010 at 2:14 pm

As every one seems to say he was and always will be one of the greatest men I have ever met. Had you talked to him for 5 minutes on a rainy day he could make the sun shine in the dreary state of washington. He is missed dearly and i will see you again some day brother.

17. Art Pratti   December 30, 2010 at 2:37 pm

To the Nguyen Family, may your pain be lifted soon. My Brother, LCpl Joseph Lopez, was also killed on Oct 14 2010, and apart of the 3/5, im willing to bet my brother and your son were very close. The Pratti Family would like you to know that we are thinking of you in this hour and send our prayers your way…we all may not be able to make sense of our loved ones sacrifice, but rest assured that the 3/5 Marines are paving the way for their Brothers-in-arms…there mission will not go unnoticed. Please send your prayers down range to our boys, they need it. Tevan is now in a better place, his job now is to guard the streets of Heaven, Hoorah Marine, Semper Fi.

18. Suzanne Obermiller   December 30, 2010 at 7:30 pm

May God’s embrace be of comfort to the family of Cpl. Tevan Nguyen’s family during this difficult time. As a Marine mom in Hutto, I am deeply saddened by this loss. Rest easy Warrior.

19. B.T.   December 30, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Tevan was always the appreciative, caring, and smiling kind of person. RIP bud. keep them laughing up there

20. Julian montez   December 31, 2010 at 8:02 am

I know his wife….. Tevan you were a amazin person….. We will miss you

21. Irma Avila   December 31, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I remember when Tevan and Monique, and Jean and Amy and I would wrestle on the bed and he would throw us off , and we would laugh so hard! and he gave us each a dollar. The last time I saw him was when we went to Wal-Mart Tevan Monique and Amy and I, we were shopping for some baby stuff for baby Tevan. And he was crashing into the stuff. Man he was so much fun he was nice to EVERYONE, I mean EVERYONE. We will see you again Tevan. You will always be missed. God Bless. Love you.

22. Amy Avila   December 31, 2010 at 9:15 pm

When I heard the news I remember the first thing that came to my mind was when you and Monique were over at mine and Irma’s house with Jean and we would throw each other off the bed. We would win $1 to whom ever one, haha good times. I also remember one time when we all decided to trick you that Monique had gotten hurt and you came fast in firiouse in your car :) we were all like "Omg omg! Get down Tevan is here!" (We were in the moon walk). Good times too. I also kind of remember when Me, Irma, you, and Monique were painting rocks and you and Monique made one’s for each other.
    I was like omg this dude is SO cool. He is buff and has the best personality anyone could have. You always had a smile on your face. And the next time I see you, I know you still will.
    The last time I saw you me, Irma, Monique, and you went to Wal-Mart to shop for stuff for little Tevan. I remember you were all on the cart like a little kid haha. Man you had such a big heart. You loved kids, and they loved you just as much. Later on that day we were in little Tevan’s room and you were shooting with the Nerf Gun and we were all "You wanna cry" because you got in trouble with Monique haha.
    Love you Tevan. And me and my family still pray for you and I know God can make miracles…God knows what Im talking about.
    Love you Tevan L. Nguyen.

23. Big Mike   January 1, 2011 at 1:51 pm

RIP marine. im sure you gave the enemy hell

24. Bradley   January 3, 2011 at 11:53 am

Watch my back as an angel on my shoulder when i go over there next month……

The Lord bless thee and keep thee. The Lord cause his light to
    shine on thee. The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee. And give thee peace. Amen.

25. Shannon   January 5, 2011 at 12:40 am

I never met Cpl Nguyen, Nor do I have to, in order to know he was a brave Soul. His memory will remain always with his family,friends and loved ones, and yes even with me. I hope that his family when ready reads these simple thoughts. First I want to say thank you for bringing up a strong brave young man. For teaching him to put others before himself. For your sacrifice as well. I can only guess as to how you feel. For every tear you shed know he is in the light. He is now another type of soldier watching over the world. Me and my girls are blessed everyday because of men and women like your son. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours….

26. TMHippo   January 6, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Tevan, you have honored your country and your family; you have served and given the ultimate sacrifice for her and for her people. You will be remembered in Hutto as a hero of the first order; one who embraced life and elevated its value by your willingness to lay it down.

27. Candace Cooksey Fulton   January 7, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I did not know Cpl. Tevan Nguyen, USMC, in life, but have cried and prayed for his family since learning he was killed. His wonderful family brought him to Indian Creek Cemetery near Brownwood as his final resting place on earth

28. Jennifer Mori   January 9, 2011 at 8:51 am

Tevan was my son’s Team Leader and friend!! My son phoned home a few days ago, and spoke of him, and his death. I could hear all the sadness in his voice. Please be assured that your son will never be forgotten!! We are praying for the entire family, and may God bless and watch over his baby son.

29. 3rd   March 8, 2011 at 2:41 am

seems like yesterday you were here in washington man. never forget the day you corrected me for wearing my flak in the chow hall haha but after that we got to hang out a couple of times. everyone here misses you man your in our hearts and give us motivation to make us push on with our jobs as marines. my prayers go to the family. he was a great marine

30. cpl robert vidal   April 12, 2011 at 7:22 am

me and tevan were together since bootcamp, it was only today that i learned of his death, me and tevan deployed to sangin afghanistan together. i honestly dont have the words to express only that he was a great friend and a good marine. You will always be in my heart brother, semper fi !

31. prp brother   December 14, 2011 at 11:10 am

You were an instructor when I was in washington. You gave the ultimate sacrifice for your country and your fellow sailors admired you. We shall meet again, and this time we will be able to don our gas mask in time! RIP brother. American hero.