Sheriff’s Dept. investigators are trying to get to the bottom of an odd incident that took place Monday afternoon, May 13, on Stage Coach Lane in Fallbrook. The scene led to a mother of three sustaining injuries at the hand of a stranger.

Sgt. Patrick Yates said for an unknown reason “a female walked into a neighbor’s house in the 200 block of Stage Coach Lane; as far as we know, they did not know each other.”

The woman that resided in the house was at home with her three children.

“The neighbor then started to hit the female victim with a shovel, including one time in the head,” said Yates.

As the attack began to unfold, Yates said the victim escaped from the house [to get help] and “the suspect locked herself in the house with the victim’s kids.”

A call to 911 went out about 2:30 p.m. As a result, the Sheriff’s ASTREA helicopter was launched over the area and deputies responded to the scene right away.

“Deputies forced entry into the home, removed the children, and took the suspect into custody,” explained Yates. The children were not injured. Their mother was treated and released from a hospital.

Yates said at this time detectives have not been able to determine a motive for the crime.

“We don’t know why it [occurred at] that house or to that person,” he said.

The incident took place in a 30 to 40 minute time frame.

*The Sheriff’s Dept. updated their comment on Wed., May 15 to state that the suspect used a shovel, not a hammer to attack the resident of the house.

(previous story)

Sheriff’s helicopter searches 200 block of Stage Coach Lane and surrounding area

FALLBROOK – The San Diego County Sheriff Department’s ASTREA helicopter was deployed Monday afternoon, May 13, to search the area of the 200 block of Stage Coach Lane in Fallbrook.

According to Lt. Todd Richardson, a female caller reported that she ran out of her home after seeing an unknown person come inside, and it is being investigated as a possible burglary scene.

A message was being transmitted for a period of time to area residents advising them to stay in their homes temporarily for safety reasons while the search was conducted.

“We are still seeking information in this situation; we have deputies on the scene,” said Richardson.

As of 7:15 p.m., no further information has been provided on the case or whether it was deemed valid or not.

46 Responses to "Detectives investigate incident in which woman wielding shovel attacks neighbor she doesn’t know"

1. great   May 13, 2013 at 3:16 pm

2. cracks me up   May 13, 2013 at 5:50 pm

The loudspeaker is a joke. I live right across the street and could practically throw a rock at this helicopter its so close yet you can’t hear a single word.

3. curious   May 13, 2013 at 8:12 pm

They do need to work on the loud speaker. Does anybody know what happened at Ron’s Red Eye last week? There were about 10 or more shefiff cars parked on Old Stage. This was around 11:30 pm

4. res   May 13, 2013 at 9:30 pm

This is the exact reason why our former president shouldn’t take away the right to own a fire arm due to this kind of crime we need to protect ourselves and family well glad no one got hurt

5. @res   May 13, 2013 at 10:05 pm

What are you talking about? Nobody is tryin to take away your right to bear arms.

6. fallbrook res   May 13, 2013 at 10:14 pm

OK you guys its 10:12 pm room right now did any of you see a weird shaped object with multiple flashing lights but they were flashing different colors at the same time it wasn’t a plane it had no noise it was shaped in a circle and right now trangler shaped light just appeared in the sky are any of you seeing this

7. res   May 13, 2013 at 10:29 pm

I just wanna say that there’s a strange light in the sky looks like an orb but its moving around flashing red orange green blue and white

8. pray for the victim   May 14, 2013 at 12:46 am

What it was the woman thst lived at the house had found a lady on her back porch which is gated aand had asked the lady what sbe was doing on her property and the lady that was on the porch started beating her with a shovel the lady eventually got caught and arrested

9. tamara   May 14, 2013 at 12:58 am

Someone did get hurt, it was a friend of mine and I hope that evil person gets what she deserves for hurting my friend!

10. hnb   May 14, 2013 at 9:41 am

I was home for this and as much as I strained to hear what the helicopter was saying, I couldn’t understand a single word. I tried to look on here to see what was going on and if I needed to be worried but there was nothing. Please try to get articles on situations such as these sooner so the public can find out what is going on in their back yard, literally.

11. close by   May 14, 2013 at 11:05 am

I agree, the loadspeaker cannot be understood. To be expected I guess with engine noise,wind,altitude,etc. I too checked the FVN for info as it was very close to my house. At least they (SDSD) were right on it.

12. grunt   May 14, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I am surprised – shocked – that she left the kids in the house while she escaped. @Res – the President is trying to limit our right to firearms, but it would not have helped this lady – unless she walked around in her house with it strapped to her side. And — if she has received no training and not continued to train with the weapon she may have been more of a danger to her kids than the stranger.

13. Bert   May 14, 2013 at 3:29 pm

No "Close by" there is no excuse for a bad loudspeaker. During the Korean War in 1952 I worked on twin engine bombers (B-26) that had loudspeakers in the bombay. They flew over the enemy talking them into surrender. They were loud and clear.

14. victim   May 14, 2013 at 3:32 pm

it was not a hammer, it was a shovel.

15. Curious   May 14, 2013 at 4:57 pm

What part of Fallbrook was this in? I know Stage Coach Lane, but it runs north and south, this sounds like North Stage Coach??

16. glad you are ok victim   May 14, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Thanks for clarifying, and glad you are ok. Hopefully this psycho will get punished harshly. Did your attacker seem "out of it" or drugged or something like this?

17. @res   May 14, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t realize people needed an AK-47 to protect themselves. Get real.

18. Wrenchers   May 14, 2013 at 5:46 pm

The only that stops a bad girl with a hammer,
    Is a good girl with a hammer.

19. Lawrence   May 14, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Grunt, the Victim is my Grand daughter and she did not run out of the house and leave her children. the aggressor came in swinging the shovel attacking her and trying to kill her and as she tried to deflect the blows after being hit in the head she was driven out the door and the attacker then locked her out. please do not blame the victim.

20. Pink   May 14, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I know it’s Fallbrook but please keep your doors locked, put screens on lock as well. That poor mom, she must have been terrified! My prayers are with the family.

21. Brookie   May 14, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I was driving by when I saw the paramedics checking your young sons head. I am glad you are ok. Do you have a description of this person? Was she living close by?

22. Village News   May 14, 2013 at 8:07 pm

To "Victim" – the information we have published was provided by the Sheriff’s Dept. If the information we have been given is incorrect, we invite you to call our office and speak with Editor Debbie Ramsey at (760) 723-7319. Thank you.

23. Nearby neighbor   May 14, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I am very curious to find out the name of this perp. There is a VERY strange lady that lives between my house and the house where this happened. She has harassed several of my neighbors and knocked on doors in the middle of the night talkin to herself like a crazy person. I would not be surprised if its the same person.

24. Call it like I see it   May 14, 2013 at 9:20 pm

What a horrible story!! That lady needs to be punished and the victim needs a reality check and some self defense classes! I would have had to of been dead before someone would have locked their selves in my house with my children. Maybe I’m just not the "victim" type but I would of broken every window in that house before I let some crazy be left alone in a home with my baby!

25. Call it like I see it   May 14, 2013 at 9:22 pm

That is if the story Lawrence is saying about being pushed out of the house is correct. If not she needs some parenting classes!

26. grunt   May 14, 2013 at 10:32 pm

@Lawrence – thank you. I read it differently, but understand it was breaking news; was NOT blaming her. Maybe a big dog for her birthday?

27. Only in Fallbrook   May 15, 2013 at 5:43 am

There is a BIG DIFFERENCE between a shovel and a hammer. Please get the story right!

28. Anonymous Lady   May 15, 2013 at 7:23 am

Prayers for everyone involved. I know the victim and she is a fantastic mother, wife, and friend and by no means deserved this. And defiantly does not deserve negative attention during her time of healing! So glad everyone ended up being ok. Glad this lady is in custody and hope she stays for a while!

29. re: call it like i see it   May 15, 2013 at 9:48 am

there are a million people out there with "I would have done this.. and I would have done that" but until you have been beaten in your head until you cant see straight or hear, all you can do is scream.. you have no idea what you would have done. if your stupid enough you would have ran back into the house and put yourself right back into the same situation instead of getting help.

30. Momof3   May 15, 2013 at 10:06 am

WTH?? What kind of mother leaves her children to get help for herself?? A good mother would have grabbed anything to fight back or called 911 while protecting her children! If the neighbor lady has harrassed others … Why hasn’t she been arrested?? Sounds like she should be institutionalized!!

31. alexxa   May 15, 2013 at 10:43 am

It was a shovel i was there at the scene me and my daughter helping the young girl that was beaten by that women with a shovel…

32. @villagenews   May 15, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Any updates on this story? Suspect name?

33. @Momof3   May 15, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I completely agree with you Momof3. When my daughter was 4 a large dog ran into our porch and attacked her. I instantly grabbed her and held her as high in the air as I could while the dog shredded my legs. I would of took the risk of going back in than taking the risk of her laying her hands on one of my babies!!

34. dont believe everything you read   May 15, 2013 at 9:00 pm

all of you need to realize that this news story is so inaccurate its insane. the complete truth will not leak out due to the risk of a mistrial. the mother did not just run out of her house and leave her children there. so don’t make assumptions when you don’t know what kind of damage your ignorant comments can make to the victim if she is reading this

35. Wow   May 15, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Are you all serious?! She was brutally attacked and you’re trying to make her seem like a horrible mother? Read all the comments then say something. You really think she ran out purposefully to get help for only herself?? GET REAL. Chances are there are details that aren’t included. And you think she had enough strength to break windows to get back inside? Again, GET REAL. What happened to her was terrible and you guys trying to make it seem like she’s a bad mother doesn’t help. You should all be ashamed.

36. re mom of 3   May 16, 2013 at 12:54 am

Have you ever been hit in the head with a shovel? Probably not. Do you think she willingly left her home? Deffinetly not. Have you ever attempted to make a phone call while being beaten with a shovel? Until you have experienced the horrific things that she has endured I suggest you keep your parenting "expertise" to yourself. Seriously. I thank God she is OK and her babies are fine.

37. @ comment #24, #25   May 16, 2013 at 8:21 am

calm down Monday morning quarterback. Give the lady a break, she was attacked, and was a random act of violence. And… I totally agree with comment #29. Hey "call it like I see it" when this happens to you, you better comment on your story and show off how you handled the situation since you’re such a self defense knot-it-all, Chuck Norris wannabe.

38. isupport-the-victim   May 16, 2013 at 9:21 am

My heartfelt wishes for this poor lady to have a speedy recovery-both physically and emotionally. There doesn’t always have to be a motive for a person to commit a violent crime against another person. Some people are totally nuts and violent. Some people commit crimes against anybody. They don’t need a reason…They are either evil- or have a serious mental illness with a propensity towards violence.

SERIOUSLY- only a jerk for a woman would say stuff like WTF, or suggest stupid parenting classes to another mother- after a violent ordeal.

The holier than thou mothers advising "parenting skills classes", should take classes in Logic and Reasoning. Clearly you have NO HUMAN COMPASSION WHATSOEVER. My God-have a heart ladies. You look so ugly.

The victim most definitely doesn’t deserve to be called a bad mother- after being brutally attacked. I can’t even imagine how terrified she must have been.

Common sense in an emergency- is one of this mother’s attributes. All the "Good Mothers" who would have stayed inside, would be "Really Dead", and what good would you be to your kids then? I am sure she had to make terrifying, horrible, snap decisions- while she was losing a lot of blood.

She made the right choice, and I support the victim & her 3 kids.

39. @Call It Like I See It-Back to Grammar School   May 16, 2013 at 10:12 am

@Call It Like I See It- You shouldn’t be telling people to go to parenting classes, when you have so many spelling and grammar errors. Take some English and Grammar classes. They offer many Basic Adult Education courses at nearby campuses.

40. Unbelieveable   May 16, 2013 at 11:37 am

That poor woman was attacked with a SHOVEL and driven out the door which the attacker then locked! I imagine that she she was terrified out of her wits when that happened plus she was injured to boot!! How dare you people monday morning quarterback her reactions, you don’t have any idea what you would do in a situation like that! I am thankful she is going to be alright and that the children weren’t harmed!! That poor mom will have nightmares and guilt issues for years because of this incident. Show some compassion.

41. Concerned Friend   May 16, 2013 at 1:11 pm

None of you negative people were there or involved so why don’t you all go get beaten with a shovel and then come back with how u reacted, she did the best thing by yelling for help other wise she could have been Killed, SHE WAS PROTECTING HER CHILDREN!!!!! Some of you are pathetic and if you don’t know the victim don’t talk about her parenting skills. She is all about her kids and always has been maybe you people who are judging her are the ones who need "parenting classes"
    To the victim who reads the comments… Don’t listen to these people their opinion does not matter.

42. Old Hickory   May 16, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Well, the thing about a predator, is they’ll catch you off guard. Hopefully, any nightmares or haunting thought replay; will give her the hardened resolve to swiftly ____ any future home invaders.

43. SB   May 19, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Sounds as if the person who did this needs to be checked out by county mental health. I hope that happens. So relieved it wasn’t worse.

44. @mombashers   May 20, 2013 at 8:56 am

If it was my kids in that house that woman would have been subdued right away. And my kids aren’t even in kindergarten yet. This is not a joke.

People are always to quick to persecute and judge others… here, I see people insulting each other all around. If we could be more understanding, and loving, than we can begin to understand why these events happen and learn to prevent them as a community. Having compassion for the woman who was beaten is necessary, but so is for the mentally ill woman who carried out the attack. Imagine the terror they both have had to experienced…

Anyways, perhaps her children are as burly as mine and she is as small as me, I can imagine needing my children to help me ward off an irrationally aggressive offender.

@the women judging the mother, perhaps you are large and built, and your children are petite gentle children? If so, I can understand where you are making your judgements.

45. comment 24 & 25   May 20, 2013 at 10:29 am

You’re more like, "you call it like you dont see it", captain hindsight

46. The Truth   May 20, 2013 at 12:29 pm

This is heartbreaking, to say the least. It sounds to me like a lifetime movie. Where you feel for the victim. But at the same time, the victim causes you anger and frustration. I feel bad for the victim though. I mean after all, she is a victim. And it’s just not right that it happened. Love your neighbor fellow fallbrookians. Watch out for them like you would your own family.