Drunk driver causes crash with major injury on South Mission Road

A man under the influence of alcohol lost control of his vehicle on South Mission Road in Fallbrook last night about 7:25 p.m., crossed over the double yellow line into ongoing traffic, collided with another vehicle, causing major injury to the other driver, and then fled the scene.

Jose Gaspar, 29, of Fallbrook, was not only alcohol-impaired, but driving without a license when he struck Archie A. Barnes, 45, of Fallbrook, said California Highway Patrol (CHP) Officer R. Schmidt.

Gaspar was driving a 1986 Isuzu southbound on Mission Road, north of Via Monserate, at approximately 45 miles per hour when, due to his impairment, he crossed over the painted yellow lines and struck Barnes’ 1985 Ford.

Schmidt said the front left of Gaspar’s vehicle struck the front left of Barnes’ vehicle within the northbound lane of South Mission Road. Due to the impact, Barnes lost control of his vehicle and it overturned onto its right side.

Schmidt said Barnes suffered major injuries including a fractured left femur as a result of the collision. Barnes was transported to Palomar Hospital.

Gaspar fled the scene on foot, Schmidt reported, but was quickly apprehended.

Gaspar was treated for moderate injuries and then booked into the Vista Jail for felony driving under the influence, felony hit and run, and driving while unlicensed.

46 Responses to "Drunk driver causes crash with major injury on South Mission Road"

1. Fallbrook Res   April 2, 2010 at 10:25 am

CheckPOINTS!

Not sometimes all the time.

2. Ray (the real one)   April 2, 2010 at 10:39 am

Someone please run this bozo through the "who’s in jail" site on the SDSO web site and see if there is an ICE hold. Inquiring minds want to know.

3. german soldier   April 2, 2010 at 10:41 am

another drunkin ,unlicensed Mexican driver? Putting other innocent drivers in harms way….and costing taxpayers for checkpoint$

4. Diana   April 2, 2010 at 10:42 am

all I know is when I was struck by a non lic, non reg, driver it cost me a lot of money in the long run. for both the rental and deductable.plus time off work. turns out this person has a very extensive history of this and yet he continues to drive. is there justice ?

5. Fed up   April 2, 2010 at 11:13 am

It use to be when you drove in Fallbrook you waved to the people you passed because you knew them. Now you pray the person passing you has a license and insurance. Can someone please tell these unlicensed drivers (aka Mexicans) we have laws in this country?

6. Donna   April 2, 2010 at 11:24 am

I agree with german soldier. So sick of it. I struggle to pay registration, taxes and insurance and make sure my ducks are all in a row and these people come here and do what they want and when questioned they play stupid. Not only Checkpoints but Border Patrol please.

7. Ray (the real one)   April 2, 2010 at 11:40 am

Donna: Reason is citizens don’t have all these advocates like MALDEF, LULAC, CRLA, Border Angels and of course, the ACLU to speak for us. We have a Sheriff who is "passive" and refuses to join other law enforcement agencies in the 287 (g) program in fear of a PR nightmare. We "citizens" have nobody who speaks in our behalf, we just take it on the chin and smile.

8. also fed up   April 2, 2010 at 12:05 pm

in response to donna, we have border patrol that cost us tax-payers alot of money and are not effective. use the military and our problems are cured

9. fallbrook mom   April 2, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Real Ray: Those organizations are definitely the root of the problem.

10. LOL   April 2, 2010 at 1:44 pm

da**… LOL… Ray( the real one) WOW!! ur really on every single one of these stories….lol… Ahhh what it is to just SIT on ur *** all day and comment on here every hour… You must be on Disability or a depending on Welfare…LOL!

11. bonsall live   April 2, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I too was a victim of a unlicensed,uninsured driver..he wasn’t even the owner of the vehicle.He t-boned my car on the passenger side.somebody prayed for that guy that day b-cause if my teenage daughter was in the car she would have died.please believe me when i tell you,his family would have been mourning a death as well as mine….The bad part about it is that highwaypatrol didnt even arrest him and he was picked up by,im assuming other illigals he called on his cell phone,and rode off into the sunset.Im not racist..but i became extremely racially biased for about 3 years after.Im ok now,lol,took some years thought to forgive but i will never ever forget.

12. bonsall live   April 2, 2010 at 2:15 pm

deport his @#%@!!!

13. Get a Clue   April 2, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Fallbrook Res: I completely agree. I spend time out in the desert area. They have checkpoints there ALL the time. And they also don’t announce where they are going to be like they do here. It’s stupid for SDSD to say on Friday Night we’ll be having a sobriety checkpoint on Mission Rd. Whose brilliant idea was that?

14. Ray (the real one)   April 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Bonsall live:Your first emotion was correct.

15. Ineffective Control   April 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Also Fed Up: Due to our wonderful government, Border Patrol is not allowed to pick up illegals from any other location than freeways and transit stations. ICE is to pick them up from other areas. When’s the last time you saw ICE on the roads of Fallbrook?

16. White Shirt   April 2, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Is this by chance Nazi-town? It sure sounds like it.

17. Stupid people   April 2, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Archie Barnes is my best friends dad. Its so horrible what happened to him. We need to stop drunk driving 🙁

18. RHS   April 3, 2010 at 8:20 am

I used to be Archie’s neighbor – great guy – always helped me when I had car trouble… I really hope he recovers – and I really hope this other guy pays for what he has done (emotionally, physically, and monetarily).

19. resident   April 3, 2010 at 8:21 am

#16 white shirt, that is a disgusting comment. People are not talking about exterminating Germans in ovens. They are talking about taking our land back from drunk drivers. Yes, they are upset that this guy might be illegal, but shouldn’t you be as well? Do you tolerate breaking the law? I saw the CHP website about this last night. This guy took off, with his face bleeding and heading toward River Village on foot. He did not even bother to help Mr. Barnes. For that alone, he should be jailed. He is not human if he can leave a man that he injured pinned inside of his car. Mr Gaspar needs to pay for what he did. Period, end of story.

20. chiken says   April 3, 2010 at 8:21 am

mexican is not the only drunk driver i have been hit by other people " am "

21. Ray (the real one)   April 3, 2010 at 8:22 am

White Shirt: No it’s a brown barret town.

22. Erms   April 3, 2010 at 2:55 pm

This is horrible. What a tragedy. But the bigger tragedy is most of you people. I would feel like the biggest idiot if some of the things that have been said here ever came out of my mouth. It’s like when you’re embarrassed for someone, ugh glad I can’t see your faces or else that feeling would come back anytime I’d run into any of you in town. Many if not most of you jump to conclusions and assume. Let me tell you something about assuming. It makes an a** of u & me. Get it? The Village News website makes this town sound like the South in the 50’s & 60’s. Greaaaat. Awesome to know you people would have been great lynchers back in those days. Really comforting.

23. Ray (the real one   April 3, 2010 at 2:55 pm

chiken says: Maybe that is why MOST states do not grant drivers licenses to illegal aliens. When California changed the law, accidents and drunk driving arrest fell dramatically, also insurance rates once the highest in the nation became more in line with other states. My rates fell over $400.00, I loved that.

24. Ray (the real one)   April 3, 2010 at 2:59 pm

chiken says: Were these other people drunk or were they just accidents? According to a Mothers Against Drunk Driving (non-partisan) study, Hispanic alcoholism and drunk driving rates are twice the rates of any other ethnic group. The study also pointed out the culture within the Hispanic community regarding drinking, it’s "macho" to drink. also it mentioned hispanics "binge" drink and the culture within the community. More hispanics die in alcohol related accidents, arrested twice the rate of other groups, diseases related to alcohol. A sad by true fact.

25. Fallbrook Res   April 3, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Have you called CHPfor more CheckPoints?

26. Fallbrook since 91   April 3, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Ray wish I had as much free time as you do to nothing but irriate others on this web page.

27. nOT nly mexican   April 4, 2010 at 6:19 am

not only Mexicans drive drunk, i work at A hospital in LA county and 80% for the drunk drivers are Caucasian and do they go to jail? NO THEY DON’T THE COPS LEAVE THEM A TICKET AND TELL THEM TO SHOW UP FOR COURT. THESE PEOPLE Do IT OVER AND OVER AND WHEN THEY KILL SOMEONE THEN THEY WANT TO CHANGE.
    SO NOT SAYING THAT ITS ONLY THE MEXICANS

28. NATIVE   April 4, 2010 at 6:21 am

It’s so funny that all of the people of “Fallbrook” have nothing better to do than to be on this “Village News” website, especially one person who call him self “Ray”. What’s even funnier is that the “Village News” allows some of this verbiage, and racist remarks. Is that okay? Should a child/teenager who is harmlessly studying and researching on the internet see this! Is there anybody monitoring this? Anyways, your on here talking about how a drunk driver, who was unlicensed hit another vehicle. Is he an idiot, of course he is! Anyone who is driving irresponsibly, (driving under the influence of anything) should be arrested, maybe even more. I hope Archie recovers fully, he seems like a great guy. One thing I find funny is that the race card is immediately pulled in these situations. If it’s a African American, Latino, Asian, etc. there seems to be an issue, but if it happens to be a Caucasian person, then there is no problem? “Just another dumb white boy doing something stupid” as the locals chuckle! The world we live in today is not the same it was 20, 30, or 40 years ago. Either you begin to change your views, whether it’s racially, politically, or any other view you may have, or your surrounding will change it for you. Come on people stop blaming it on one person, when in all reality you need to wake up, and see what the real issue is. A solution can be implemented for these types things. There are no legitimate arguments here just a bunch or stupid verbal disputes, and ad hominems against other people for their race. I heard a couple of good ideas in the comments above that could possibly work, but it’s going to take a more educated approach then what some of you have in mind.

29. Ray (the real one)   April 4, 2010 at 12:30 pm

NATIVE: Spoken like a true democrat, censor the truth. It’s the constitution, you know the first amendment, ever read it?

30. white shirt   April 4, 2010 at 12:30 pm

To Ray the Real one and the other Racist. The only point you are making is that you are RACIST I hope you sleep better now.

31. The New Falllbrook?   April 4, 2010 at 12:58 pm

In response to

32. Ray (the real one)   April 4, 2010 at 3:10 pm

white shirt: No problem sleeping Rachel and Keith. The truth will set you free.

33. G.O.P.   April 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Ray you are a part of the minutemen, aren’t you?

34. Linda   April 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I speak for myself and sisters and that that driver should be put to justice for what he did to my dad. I am Archie’s youngest daughter and you have no idea what that driver put me and my sisters through.

35. Surfing 2.0   April 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I agree with native there is alot racist stuff going on here. I love to surf maybe all of you should pick-up a hobby, and get your mind off all the hate. What you really hate now will come back and haunt you in the future. I grew up in a wealthy "Republican" family, and their views are all so stupid, it makes no sense! Basically their views are to do whatever it takes to get rich, stay rich, and kick anyone who is on the ground!

36. Mary Jo   April 5, 2010 at 10:58 am

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Love you like a brother.The first meal you eat will be mine and special delivered by me.

37. Bob & Joan   April 5, 2010 at 10:58 am

Archie, what a great guy. We’ve known him and Paulett for just a short time but he has this big smile and a love of life every time we talk.
    His spirits always are high and he radiates an infectious feeling of power and strenght.
    This thing, caused by a drunk should not have happened. We are praying for you Archie and we know you will recover soon.

38. usmcret   April 5, 2010 at 10:59 am

All, I think when many here say mexican they mean mexican – not a US Citizen of Mexican heritage. The illegals, of whom most are mexican, are a huge problem in this town, county, state and nation. It is not racist to be against illegals; it is nto racist to be against gangs – even if on our area all gang members are latino, hispanic or what ever the PC word is today. Stop looking for an insult in ever comment and start looking for solutions, agree the logic, or the facts if you know them, but looking for insults and then returning them is no good.

39. BonsallBars   April 5, 2010 at 11:00 am

The Bonsall bars are filled with the same people’s cars every night yet they never seem to get pulled over and tested for DUI. What do the cops think they have been drinking? Water?

I know this as fact because I personally know someone that has spent the last 7 years at these bars almost nightly and has yet to get pulled over after leaving the bar. The cops turn a blind eye leaving me to assume that they have to be in Kahoots with the owners. I cannot imagine getting away with driving drunk for 7 years due to only sheer luck.

Tonight you will have a drunk driver (or, a few) in Bonsall and he (they) will NOT get caught.

Drive careful.

40. usmcret   April 5, 2010 at 11:02 am

Ray (the real one) irritates some people, including me, often with how he says thing; how ever

41. Fallbrook Res   April 5, 2010 at 11:53 am

Have you called today for more CheckPoints?

42. JG   April 5, 2010 at 12:26 pm

All of your comments are going nowhere. This is not an illegal immagration problem. This is a matter of two "human beings".
    One, a nice caring family man and one uncaring, irresponible, yellow chicken liver. End of story.
    P.S. I am a caring white person .

43. all this is bull   April 6, 2010 at 7:37 am

Seriously if people dont like that now is mostly hispanics (because u cant say they r all mexicans because they speak spanish) they should leave town then nd move somewhere where theres is no spanish speakers in there area.. nd good luck trying to find a non-hispanic landscaper lol… nd for people who dont noe that not all people who drive without a license are illegals there is some of them that get it taken away nd suspended nd even when u have to renew ur license it counts as not havin a license k… nd yes thi is the town where the kkk started… but im pretty sure there is alot of racism around here

44. Julie   April 6, 2010 at 7:37 am

The KKK was not started here, and the one person who was not even a KKK member, but is associated with his own racist group, does not even live here anymore and hasn’t for years.

45. Fallbrook Res   April 8, 2010 at 11:29 am

IT’s Thursday have you called CHP for CheckPoints?

46. A victim of a drunk driver & the legal system   April 13, 2010 at 8:04 am

I, too, was hit by an unlicensed, drunk driver with no insurance who was arrested and freed because "he had no assets" He spent no time in jail and it is a laugh to try to get compensated for my injuries and totaled car. What part of driving illegally doesn’t the law community understand? When people who break the law get just punishment maybe they and others will stop breaking the law.
    Why do honest, law-abiding citizens have to suffer the consequences of these people who break the law and walk away?