CAMP PENDLETON – Camp Pendleton units will be conducting night live-fire mortar exercises in the Whiskey and Zulu impact areas from midnight to 2:30 a.m., Wednesday, May 15 through Saturday, May 18.

Depending on atmospheric conditions, the sound of the explosions may be amplified and heard up to 50 miles away.

17 Responses to "Early morning mortar firing exercises aboard Camp Pendleton Wed., May 15 through Sat., May 18"

1. Me   May 13, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Midnight to 2:30 am?

"Sounds of Freedom…. bla bla bla."

2. ???   May 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm

any update on the gopher canyon fire?

3. perfect ime   May 13, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Let’s see, isn’t it time for a fire at Pendleton? It’s hot and windy, so let’s start shelling.

4. Proud Marine   May 13, 2013 at 5:18 pm

You said it "Me", wasn’t us this time. You are of course partly correct, it is indeed the sound of freedom. I’m sure you know what you can do with the bla bla bla.

@ perfect ime: It usually isn’t too hot and windy at 2am, better to do this in the middle of the night rather than the middle of the day….don’t you think?

5. 4year in Fallbrook   May 13, 2013 at 11:09 pm

At least at night you can see the fires glow faster.

6. Wizard of Fallbrook   May 14, 2013 at 4:04 am

Fallbrook will know be Smokebrook….Hopefully the weather will start to cool down…

7. FALLBROOK 101   May 14, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I have lived here for 20 years and just love it, does not bother me at all. Some people move near airports and 4 years latter they want the airport closed, dont figure.

8. Me   May 15, 2013 at 6:26 am

I didn’t move near an airport nor a marine base. People 50 miles away should not be forced to listen to this crap.

9. fallbrook res   May 15, 2013 at 6:45 am

I don’t know of a single structure in fallbrook that has ever been lost due to Camp Pendleton training exercises. I do however, see Camp Pendleton fire trucks come into Fallbrook to fight our fires when needed. I’m amazed by the petty remarks from people who obviously aren’t busy enough.

10. Pink   May 15, 2013 at 9:06 am

Completely agree with Fallbrook Res. I moved here over 40 years ago and, unlike Me, I noticed that the Marine Base was there long before I bought my house.

11. De Luz Neighbor   May 15, 2013 at 9:48 am

I’ve never been impressed with mortars when used as a weapon.

12. Wah wah wah   May 15, 2013 at 11:27 am

I’ve lived in fallbrook for 30 years and can’t recall a single night I wasn’t able to sleep because of the loud noise. I actually find it quite comical how some of you complain about this like immature children; never understood how someone older than 13 mind can complain about something they can’t fix or have no control over. Get over it; nobody cares if you’re annoyed.

13. grunt   May 15, 2013 at 12:35 pm

@De Luz Neighbor – nice clip. Were you military? Mortars are evil when you are on the receiving end – nice when outgoing. Actually a well-trained mortar crew and the effects of their weapon can be quite impressive.

14. Laughing Out Loud   May 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm

@Me: Would you like some cheese and crackers with your "whine"?

15. Redneck Bill   May 15, 2013 at 8:20 pm

@Grunt

Actually, De Luz Neighbor’s clip shows there can be times when outgoing isn’t so nice.

I was going to ask if you thought the hombre dropping the mortar passed his PRT, but it looked like he got away, so I guess he did.

16. Me   May 15, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Laughing Out Loud…Go to …..

17. Laughing Out Loud   May 15, 2013 at 11:14 pm

@Me (again) Would that be a glass of red or white?