By Newsroom 9:12 pm March 28, 2014

LA HABRA – A magnitude-5.1 earthquake struck at 9:09 p.m. tonight, centered one mile east of La Habra, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, causing some water main breaks in Fullerton, but little significant damage.

The earthquake was felt in at least seven Southern California counties — Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego and Ventura.

The quake was at a depth of around one mile and followed by about 20 aftershocks, two greater than magnitude 3.0, Caltech seismologist Robert Graves. There were no reports of surface rupture and scientists are not yet able to assign it to a particular fault, Graves said.

The earthquake was probably 10 times larger than the March 17 magnitude- 4.4 quake near Encino in terms of energy released, says Caltech’s Lucy Jones.

Minor damage is expected from earthquakes the size of tonight’s magnitude-5.1, which struck about five miles to the northwest of the magnitude- 5.4 Chino Hills earthquake of 2008, Graves said.

A magnitude-3.6 prequake struck at 8:03 p.m., according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The Los Angeles County Fire Department received reports of gas leaks in the Rowland Heights and scattered minor damage, said department supervisor Ed Pickett.

There were several water main breaks in Fullerton, Sgt. Jeff Stuart of the Fullerton Police Department told KCAL9.

The Los Angeles police and fire departments conducted an assessment and report no damage in the city, Mayor Eric Garcetti said.

Disneyland shut down rides as a precaution, NBC4 reported.

The Los Angeles Fire Department did not receive any immediate reports of damage following an initial assessment by firefighters from its 106 stations, the department’s Erik Scott said.

The Los Angeles Police Department and Los Angeles and Orange county sheriff’s departments did not immediately receive reports of damage or injuries.

A lieutenant at the Orange County sheriff’s office in Silverado Canyon said the shaking lasted nearly 30 seconds.

The earthquake set off car alarms in Anaheim Hills, a resident said.

A lieutenant at the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department said residents reported feeling the magnitude 5.3 quake — which struck at 9:09 p.m. near La Habra in Orange County — in the North County and as far south as Mission Valley.

No damage to the Metro Rail system was found following a check of all lines, the agency’s Paul Gonzales told City News Service.

Hannah Hirzel, 17, said she was home in her room in Placentia, four miles from the epicenter, when she felt a jolt. It was the second earthquake she had felt that night, but this one felt different. It was longer and more intense, she said.

”I was home alone and I ran out of the house,” said Hirzel. ”I was sitting where my bookshelf fell, but I ran too quick.”

Her bookshelf and other furniture toppled over onto where she had been moments before. Food also fell out of the pantry, with items breaking on the kitchen floor, and there are cracks in the walls, she said.

Hirzel said she was not hurt, but plans to change the design of her room to make it safer, especially by making the bookshelf more secure.

”My mom says we are going to hook it to the wall and I think I’m going to sleep downstairs tonight,” Hirzel said.

Garcetti said the earthquake ”reminds us to be prepared.”

”L.A. residents can visit readyla.org for guidance on how to best prepare for the next earthquake, including potential aftershocks,” Garcetti said.

5.1 Earthquake in greater LA area felt locally, no damage reported

An earthquake centered in the La Habra area outside of Los Angeles was felt at about 9:09 pm tonight throughout Southwest Riverside County and San Diego County. Did you feel it? Please comment below. About 900 people reported feeling the quake in the Temecula, Murrieta, Lake Elsinore, Wildomar, Menifee area. About 250 people reported feeling it in the Fallbrook, Bonsall, Camp Pendleton area by 9:50 pm.

Earthquake Swarm Strikes La Habra

LA HABRA – A magnitude-5.1 earthquake struck at 9:09 p.m. tonight, centered one mile east of La Habra, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, but there was little significant damage.

The earthquake was among at least three striking in La Habra in slightly more than one hour. A magnitude-3.6 earthquake struck at 8:03 p.m. and a magnitude-3.4 earthquake at 9:11 p.m., according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The Los Angeles County Fire Department received reports of gas leaks in the Rowland Heights, said department supervisor Ed Pickett.

The earthquake set off car alarms in Anaheim Hills, a resident said.

A lieutenant at the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department said residents reported feeling the magnitude 5.1 quake — which struck at 9:09 p.m. near La Habra in Orange County — in the North County and as far south as Mission Valley.

No damage to the Metro Rail system was found following a check of all lines, said the agency’s Paul Gonzales.

The Los Angeles Fire Department’s Erik Scott says the department has received no immediate reports of damage following an initial assessment by firefighters from its 106 stations. A lieutenant at the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department said residents reported feeling the magnitude 5.3 quake –which struck at 9:09 p.m. near La Habra in Orange County — in the North County and as far south as Mission Valley.

LA HABRA – A magnitude-5.1 earthquake struck at 9:09 p.m. tonight, centered one mile east of La Habra, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. Several aftershocks have followed, with magnitudes of 2.0 to 3.4.

The earthquake was felt in at least five Southern California counties –Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego, Riverside and Ventura.

A magnitude-3.6 earthquake struck in La Habra at 8:03 p.m. More info to come as it is reported for the USGS website.

65 Responses to Earthquake swarm strikes La Habra area, felt in five counties – Seismologists have yet to assign a particular fault

1. j Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Felt in de Luz rd and mission . Shook my windows

2. Anne Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I felt the 9:09 one in Calabasas.

3. Michelle Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I felt it in La Quinta, about 20 miles east of Palm Springs! Loooong quake!

4. In Temecula Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I felt it here in Temecula! About 9:15 ish. We haven’t been in CA a year yet. First earthquake experience! Only felt it for a few seconds and very slight. Might have been longer. I didn’t feel it until I sat down, and noticed my centerpiece was shaking too!

5. Meeko Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Felt in Fontana

6. Regina Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:28 pm

We felt it in Highland, Ca…. San Bernardino County

7. zooooom Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:29 pm

VN, you guys are on it! Thank you!

8. Stu Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:29 pm

South Redondo Beach, 3rd floor apartment. The quake went on for a loooong time.

9. Laura Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I felt it in Sunland Tujunga around 9 pm. It was not that strong though. It felt like it lasted a bit longer then the one we had a few days ago.

10. Clair Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Felt it in Sherman Oaks

11. melanie Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Yes in Glendora.

12. lmarie Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Felt it in Temecula…dog started barking like crazy & then I felt a little rumble on the 2nd floor.

13. Bob and Paula Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:34 pm

We both felt it (ever so slightly) in Carlsbad.

14. Alison Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Felt the 5.4 in Victorville

15. Patricia Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I felt in Glendora! and it was my first earthquake! o.o wow!

16. Derly Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Yes in Fontana. It was strong.

17. matt Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Felt this in Torrance

18. Bolong Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I felt in Riverside

19. rockstar Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Felt it here in Indio, Ca it was a long rolling that lasted probably 30 seconds or so.

20. Dave Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm

That earthquake was horrible. My glass tipped over and then all the beer spilled out. NOOOOO!

21. dpsg Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm

felt it ib victorville

22. Johnson Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Sure felt it here in Long Beach

23. Kim Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Felt it in San Marcos about 20 min ago. Family members felt it from two different 2nd floor rooms.

24. Berries Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:43 pm

felt it in Colton 92324

25. Twink Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:43 pm

I felt it on the 22nd floor of a San Diego hotel. Thought I think that was an earthquake. Went to the govt earthquake website and sure enough….earthquake in La Habra. About 10 seconds or so. No doubt about it.

26. Antonia Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:43 pm

We felt a slight shaking in Rancho Santa Fe (Northern San Diego County)

27. chirssy Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Compton we felt it

28. Mel Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Felt it here in Rancho Cucamonga. Was so long I thought something was wrong with my equilibrium!

29. Ellowyn Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:46 pm

It shook my bed; I live right outside of San Diego/Poway.

30. Rick Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Felt it in Encinitas. Very slight, but definitely felt it.

31. NGO Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Felt it big time in Linda Vista–SAn Diego @9:10

32. michelle Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:49 pm

felt it in Temecula. long one!

33. Rachael Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Felt it in Carlsbad. Shook chair I was sitting on and shook hangers in my closet.

34. High Desert lady Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Felt it hard here in Victorville and for longer than any before. Nothing fell and broke though.

35. jd Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Felt it in Point Loma, San Diego.

36. Marlene Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Slight shaking in West Hills San Fernando Valley

37. McMorris Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:57 pm

We felt it in Downtown San Diego. 15th Floor. distinct slow wavering in bldg. Nothing falling off walls, but definitely disorienting.

38. HP Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:57 pm

According to USGS, 7 in the last hour, but decreasing in size… typical of a swarm… which is good in that it suggests there’s more than likely not a big one behind it.

39. D. Burton Reply

March 28, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Felt a 2-3 second roll in Joshua Tree, San Bernardino County at 9:11.

40. becktoff Reply

March 28, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Felt mild rolling in Quartz Hill

41. becktoff Reply

March 28, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Felt mild rolling in Quartz Hill

42. Jenna Reply

March 28, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Felt it in San Diego. Live in Hillcrest. Strong enough that I had no doubt. Felt the after shock right after. I was on the phone with my mom when I felt it. She felt nothing in Bay Park.

43. Village/Valley Editor Reply

March 28, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Thank you everyone for commenting. It’s always interesting to read people’s comments from far and wide!

44. lise Reply

March 28, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Felt it in Palm Springs – water moving in the pool!

45. Nita Reply

March 28, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I felt the earthquake tonight at approximately 9:10 pm in Escondido,

46. AKS Reply

March 28, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Felt at downtown long beach, walls and floor were shaking…

47. Dianne Reply

March 28, 2014 at 10:10 pm

We live in Escondido, out near the Wild Animal Park. The house was rockin’.

48. Leslie Reply

March 28, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Definitely felt it over here by Fallbrook High School at 9:09 pm, but I think there was more shaking going on at 7 this morning coming from Camp Pendleton. Did anybody else go to the USGS website "Did You Feel It?" and report it?

49. haskins Reply

March 28, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Shook the bed and rolled for awhile in Laguna Woods Village

50. windrider Reply

March 28, 2014 at 10:30 pm

My wife and I were in a restaurant on Vista Way between Vista and Bonsall. We each thought the other was rocking the table and causing the floorboards beneath it to move. Only having arrived home and seen the news have we discovered what the actual cause was.

51. Carly Gordon Reply

March 28, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Felt it in Los Angeles, my chandalier and couch was shaking

52. Sheila Reply

March 28, 2014 at 10:54 pm

I felt it in La Jolla near UCSD.

53. 48money Reply

March 28, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Felt it at tgif Fridays Rowland heights!

54. bellylander Reply

March 28, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Felt in Fallbrook around 9:10 pm pst…lasted about 10-20 seconds. Felt like it was a deep quake…not a rolling surface quake.

55. Mike Albertsen Reply

March 28, 2014 at 11:37 pm

This was my first earthquake….funniest part is I was driving a tractor-trailer and only found out about it on FB. I never noticed a thing! You would think for sure I would have felt it because I pulled into Long Beach at 9:01 this evening. I was within 10 miles of the epicenter!

56. Resident Reply

March 29, 2014 at 2:52 am

Slept right through it….

57. jenny ybarra Reply

March 29, 2014 at 9:03 am

Felt it in west Covina near la Habra it was really loud and strong I jumped from my rocking chair and jumped in the bath tub!

58. Raquel Diego Reply

March 29, 2014 at 11:23 am

Felt it in Whittier pretty strong. I’ve lived in So. California since 1962 and have felt most of them, but this one was too close to home! it scared me a bit. But I rather have a quake every 10 years than a hurricane or a tornado EVERY year!. BTW, nothing broke this time.

59. N8tive2Fallbrook Reply

March 29, 2014 at 2:34 pm

My wife felt it, I didn’t. She had her feet on the ground and I was reclined. I looked and saw slightly swinging fan/light cords in dining room. Her feet on the ground made the difference and quickly went to USGS site to make a report. In over 55 years, I’ve felt many sizeable events. Daughter in Mira Loma felt it big time, she was about 8 miles from the epicenter and it really shook her place.

60. jose meza Reply

March 29, 2014 at 2:45 pm

we felt it in Riverside.

61. Jessy O. Reply

March 29, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Here in Joshua Tree, San bernadino county, it lasted about 7 seconds. I was on my couch with my sleeping puppy in my lap, the only thing she noticed was that I started to get up. I heard the sounds and saw my wall swaying, I hopped up, blew out my candles, grabbed my phone and went to my younger siblings. My cat didnt feel anything, the only reason he ended up freaking out was because I was having a panic attack. lol.

62. beaner designs/henslee motorsports Reply

March 29, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I was haulin butt through the whoops thanks to my suspension from BD designs and henslee motorsports didn’t feel a darn thing homie crazy tho crazy breeep

63. ZZZ Reply

March 30, 2014 at 1:10 pm

My friends in La Habra got hit hard – everything off the shelves and walls – debris and broken glass everywhere-Insurance covers damage only if you have earthquake insurance – which I certainly never buy at over $10k a year.

I went to help – what a mess – but we haven’t had any quakes in awhile, ground needs to move-maybe this is the year, since El Nino is coming.

Post if you need help cleaning up!

64. JD Reply

April 1, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Really? 63 posts on who felt it where? Wow..dull reading for sure. Any quake smaller than a 5 or so is back page news. I read recently that the "Scientists" who are working on predicting quakes were excited, because they were able to predict this a few seconds before it happened. A few seconds? Not worthy of excitement. In all seriousness though, we should prepare for a big one eventually. I think the Lake Elsinore fault is next. Check the maps…that is NO whimpy fault line.

65. Marcos Reply