Escrow closes on Fallbrook Golf Club – Works now own 116-acre property

Escrow has closed on Fallbrook Golf Club, meaning longtime Fallbrook residents Jade and Julie Work (Gird Valley, Inc.) now own the 116-acre property that formerly served as an 18-hole golf course.

“It just closed, it’s a done deal,” said Jade Work late this afternoon. “A formal payoff demand that was acceptable to everybody was sent by Mr. Richards (Ronald Richards) and I received that Friday (Nov. 11). The entire payoff amount of the funds was wired Monday (Nov. 14) and all final papers were signed. The escrow company confirmed this morning that they received all documents and the money, and sent it to the title company for recording.”

It took the Works months and multiple visits to court to complete the purchase of Fallbrook Golf Club from Jack Lamberson, who was in default on his payments to Beverly Hills attorney Richards, whose D-Day Capital, LLC, owned the notes on the 116-acre property.

“I’ve never seen a deal where it was this hard to pay somebody money,” said Work. “Mr. Richards…they made a tremendous amount of money in profit, and, honestly, I say, whatever. I just wanted to close the deal and try to do a good thing. I’m glad it finally is over.”

Richards has a history of working with developers who purchase troubled golf courses and then work to develop them. One of those courses is Escondido Country Club, where residents have been battling development plans for several years.

“A tremendous profit could be made if somebody was willing to fight that fight (for development) with the community,” said Work. “There’s tremendous potential profit – many, many, many millions of dollars in profit to be made there. That’s exactly why we wanted to step in, to keep that from happening.”

The Works are both Fallbrook High School graduates who have fond memories of enjoying the Gird Valley as youngsters. They want to make sure future generations of Fallbrookians have the chance to enjoy it as well and thus are placing conservation easements on the property.

Jade Work owns and operates the golf course construction company Integrity Golf. However, he will not be putting his golf construction knowledge to use at Fallbrook Golf Club.

“Nothing would be easier for me, as a guy who builds golf courses, than to rebuild the golf course,” said Work. “That would be the easiest thing of all, and that would be the first thing I would do if even there was a hope of it being profitable. But the reality is, it’s a not a possibility, especially now that all the grass is dead.”

The golf course has been shut down since July 26 when a pending deal fell through, and other than some neighbors watering a few greens, the only water to hit the property has been provided by Mother Nature.

“I’m itching to go to work,” said Work. “I’ve got a whole bunch of guys standing by. We’re ready to start cleaning up the place. It’s a tremendous amount of work we need to do.”

The Works have a clear vision for the property.

“We intend to put vineyards out there, and redo the clubhouse and restaurant,” said Work. “We want to do a winery and have a wine barrel room. Obviously, all those things have to be designed and submitted to the planning commission and to the county and all of that. I think it’s going to be a really cool thing for the community. I really do. I believe in my heart people are going to be really, really happy with it.”

The lengthy purchase process gave the Works plenty of time to think about plans for the property.

“I’ve been very busy behind the scenes,” said Work. “I’ve been consulting with viticulturists and wine makers. We’re researching how to do it, and we want to do it in an excellent way so it will be a beautiful view for the home owners. Hopefully, we’ll do something everybody can be proud of.”

58 Responses to "Escrow closes on Fallbrook Golf Club – Works now own 116-acre property"

1. SaveFallbrookGolfCourse.com   November 15, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Congratulations to the Works and a big thank you to them for saving this wonderful property from development!

2. Fallbrook Liberal   November 15, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Wonderful news! Wishing the Work family all the best. Thank you for stepping up and doing this for the community.

3. M. Mitzner   November 15, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Hallelujah!! Finally we will have something all of Fallbrook can be proud of. We will support the Work’s any way we can. We owe them a debt of gratitude for all their hard work and persistence in acquiring Fallbrook Golf Club.

4. Willow   November 15, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Ding Dong the Rich is dead!

5. Marilee Lowe   November 15, 2016 at 9:59 pm

What wonderful news. I’m so happy the Works love our community enough to choose this route over so many other options.

6. Denise   November 15, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Hmmm, maybe Jack will pay his former employees what he owes them. Poor guys worked for free helping to get the course ready for the prior hopeful buyer.

7. Preston   November 16, 2016 at 6:13 am

Every time I drive the 76 from Oceanside I see more grapes and as the area slowly becomes wine country I believe property values will soar.

8. Neill Ketchum   November 16, 2016 at 7:11 am

I would love to help with any art work you might need. Thank you for stepping up to the plate. Neill Ketchum

9. Pat Hunter   November 16, 2016 at 7:17 am

Fallbrook is blessed to have M/M Work. Sure wish we had a buyer with means as well as the vision to preserve the open space of the dead Escondido Country Club property. Do we have to cover every inch of ground with huge housing developments? It should not always be about profits. When profit turns to greed, the community really suffers

10. Linda Keene   November 16, 2016 at 8:08 am

That sounds lovely! I am hoping to see a horseback riding trail along the easement. 😀

11. Mary Merchat   November 16, 2016 at 8:12 am

We thank the Works for purchasing Fallbrook golf course. The plans to convert it to a winery sounds wonderful.
    Mary Merchat

12. Dusty   November 16, 2016 at 8:30 am

In reference to “Mr. Richards…they made a tremendous amount of money in profit”. That does not surprise me.

In a perfect world, the system that allowed Ron to both acquire the loan and then attach lawsuits, to attempt to sabotage a qualified buyer, would be fixed to keep this from reoccurring.

I am sure this cycle will repeat itself. Golf courses, large land areas, will be in financial trouble, loans will quietly be acquired, when they won’t sell the business directly, and pressure will be put on the owners to foreclose. The buyers will use LLCs, corporations and anonymity, as much as possible, to keep their names out of the press (and blood off their collective hands).

13. JD   November 16, 2016 at 8:42 am

This is amazing good fortune for the locals in the Gird valley, that being the Works coming along and saving this land. A vineyard, restaurant/wine bar sounds fantastic. This family, although planning an investment that will be a viable business, have really done a wonderful thing, saving the land from development. I hope they can incorporate a few public walking paths in and around the former course, so we can continue to enjoy it as open space also. I look forward to the great future of the area, thanks to this gracious family. I was worried, but now I am relieved, happy, elated, almost giddy over this fantastic news.

14. terrence burke   November 16, 2016 at 9:06 am

Mr. Work,

Thank you very much for purchasing Fallbrook Golf Course. It breaks my heart that it won’t remain a golf course but a winery, restaurant and bar are great alternative. Especially, considering Richards planned to build homes and destroying the Gird Valley. Again, thank you very much for saving the people of Fallbrook from what would have been a true disaster.

Terrence Burke

15. Bill G   November 16, 2016 at 9:19 am

Congratulations to the Works for their successful escrow completion. We all look forward to seeing your plans and supporting your efforts in any way that we can. We feel confident that the future of this pristene (although now somewhat shabby) section of the Gird Valley is now in good hands

16. Sue Thorne   November 16, 2016 at 9:59 am

Thank you so much, Jade and Julie, for your commendable persistence in face of such horrid opposition! I’m looking forward to seeing “green” again from my golfcourse view home where a memorial bench confirms that there’s a little corner that is “forever England!” I’m also excited about the idea of a re-opened “drinking hole” within walking distance for local residents.

17. Sonya Meline   November 16, 2016 at 10:08 am

Gird Valley is our live, work, and play area and has been since we moved here in 2012. We plan to make this our forever home and we can’t thank the Works enough for thier dedication and vision. We are happy to help in any way possible. And we are wine enthusiasts, so we will plan to support in every way!

Such a wonderful thing to read this article.

-Sonya & Michael Meline

18. G. S.   November 16, 2016 at 11:37 am

Really good news for all Fallbrook residents, no matter where you live. The Gird Valley area is lovely, keeping it that way is a very, very good thing, and will ultimately benefit all in our “Friendly Village”. Sanity, and love of our exceptional community prevailed over greed and quick profits from outside developers; well done!

19. Nathalie Taylor   November 16, 2016 at 11:40 am

God bless the Work couple for rescuing this property!! I am so excited about the restoration of the restaurant, the planting of grape vines and a new winery! Oh, and, I love the art work of Neill Ketchum – I think her art would complement a winery/restaurant. I would consider that as well.

20. Anne Richter   November 16, 2016 at 11:49 am

This is awesome news! I would love to assist in any way possible.

21. Megan G   November 16, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Thank You Jade and Julie Work for your vision, persistence and understanding of what was truly at stake here..protecting the rural character of this community. It was David vs Goliath and you did it!

My not so secret wish is for the front nine to re-open as a nine hole “walking course” with a fine bar and restaurant to welcome me as I climb up the hill on that final hole!

Hope that emerges sometime in the future. Let all of us know how we can help.

22. Lila Sandschulte   November 16, 2016 at 4:08 pm

This is wonderful news. It is special to know a family that went to school in Fallbrook has shown such consideration to our Gird Valley. With much gratitude, we thank you and wish you success. Lila Sandschulte

23. Bob Lafey   November 16, 2016 at 6:30 pm

It it can’t be a golf course, the a winery is a great idea!

24. Anne Youngblood   November 16, 2016 at 9:26 pm

“….and then a miracle occurred!” We are very grateful to the Works for their caring and integrity. It is a forever gift to this community that will never be forgotten.
    Annie & Bob

25. Jeff Wilkerson   November 16, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Put me down for purchasing the first case of your Gird Valley wine! Excellent idea! Thank you for your willingness to take on this project. My wife and I will pray the Lord will bless your efforts! Jeff and Lynette Wilkerson

26. Debbie Forbes, Fine Artist   November 16, 2016 at 10:57 pm

As Gird Valley residents on Via Del Robles, we will be forever grateful for your timely and generous rescue of this precious property.
    After 33 years here I have so many fun memories of the golf course including Christmas mornings waving to festive households while playing 9 holes.
    Thank you for caring enough to put forth this tremendous effort… God bless you for it, and cheers to a new vineyard/winery here in this special place.

27. Jan Bruno   November 17, 2016 at 6:34 am

Praise God, prayers are answered! So looking forward to gaze out my windows and see something alive again.

28. Jeff Nichols   November 17, 2016 at 7:28 am

This is fantastic news! Thanks so much to the Work family. This is as good an outcome as I could have imagined. Well done!

29. Kathryn Dionne   November 17, 2016 at 8:07 am

Thank you Work Family for your endeavors in saving our beautiful Gird Valley. We are so grateful for your commitment to this community. How gorgeous will it be to see grapevines from our balcony! You can count on us to be patrons and to help in whatever capacity you need. Here’s wishing you great success!

30. Ted Lacy   November 17, 2016 at 9:39 am

Wow!….. and Whew! What a positive relief for all the folks in the Gird Valley and Fallbrook. Thank You.. to the Work’s persistence and dedication to the preservation of the “Jewel of Fallbrook” We all look forward to supporting you.

31. Ted Lacy   November 17, 2016 at 9:49 am

also.. A big Thank You to Teresa Platt and the Steering Committee of “Save Fallbrook Golf Course” for all your unwavering efforts, work and keeping us informed as this sage unfolded.

32. Don McGrath   November 17, 2016 at 10:17 am

As a retired Napa Valley winemaker and a Gird Valley resident, I am very pleased to hear of the Works plans and wish them the best of fortune and success in their new venture. For me, it will be like being back home again in St. Helena. I would be pleased to help in any way I can.

33. ajw   November 17, 2016 at 11:27 am

Amen to answered prayers indeed!!! And since Jeff W. is buying your first case of Gird Valley wine, we shall purchase the 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, 5th …). Truly, what a JOY! Our family has a small local vineyard (some of their vines are growing in our Laketree Drive backyard!) so it will feel just like home as we now get to look out our windows and see gorgeous vines! Jade and Julie – we will help in any and every way possible and we thank you and bless you for your amazing stewardship. Looks like Christmas came early this year!
    With deep gratitude,
    Andi & Kevin

34. Dusty   November 17, 2016 at 11:38 am

There were 2 things I thought would be impossible…saving the golf course, from housing development, and having Trump win the presidency.

I’m very very happy with one of those two things…the other will be easier if there’s lots of local wine to consume during 2017-2020.

Thanks Works! Now get to, well, you know…

35. Amelia Smith   November 17, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Another beautiful vision for Fallbrook. Congratulations to the Works on their purchase. I am so happy this extraordinary property is now under their stewardship.

36. ajw   November 17, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Yes! We too want to thank Teresa Platt and all the folks who contributed their time and talents to the Save Fallbrook Golf Course effort – what an outcome! Tom Ferrall – many thanks to you as well for your continued coverage as this unfolded. Who knew (when we were sipping drinks with Kevin and friends in the clubhouse) that we were actually gracing soon-to-be winery grounds?? Let the good times continue – cheers!

37. Linda Petersen   November 17, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Congratulations Fallbrook community~ looking to make Fallbrook home and we hoped that your efforts would be answered. Faith, Hope & Love

38. Jonathan B   November 18, 2016 at 7:05 am

Hey, Dusty. I see your another brain-washed Clintonite. She LOST. Get over it
    snowflake.

As for the vineyard? That may go the way of Clinton also when the lure of
    bigger profits are in focus.

Let’s wait and see!

39. Guy   November 18, 2016 at 7:19 am

I wonder if the chances of having a successful golf course will increase with the soon to be completed Hwy 76. It would seem that far more people would be interested in coming out this way when there are four straight lanes of traffic rather than the two curvy narrow lanes that have always existed in the past.

40. Liveoakparker   November 18, 2016 at 8:17 am

What so all you people think that you should be the last one in town and lock the gate behind you. I’ve been here over 50 years. Maybe we shouldn’t have let you build your homes. Grow up

41. kma   November 18, 2016 at 9:18 am

We are gonna be vineyarded out around here! Seems like wine grapes are the next palm tree speculator’s obsession? We’ve watched horses and avos turn to rows of palms on spec and now, the grapes are coming. (Grapes and tract housing!) Our county altered the tax code to give owners of even small vineyards, a property tax break. Make sure you don’t do any business w/the Lambersons. They don’t care about the community. And, now you can turn your attentions to Bonsall Unified School District’s plans for a high school on Gird. Talk about “destroying the valley!”

42. J. Duncan   November 18, 2016 at 1:53 pm

As a 10 year resident of Gird Valley (first fairway of the old course) I am deeply grateful and want to thank the Works for saving this picturesque area from development. I wish to offer my assistance in any way possible.

43. Casey OCallaghan   November 18, 2016 at 3:17 pm

How about one small putting green at the winery? I’ll lend design services for free. Great job guys! You have wonderful vision and I wish you much success.

44. Marilyn B   November 18, 2016 at 3:58 pm

This is wonderful! I have a view of the golf course and felt that there needed to be another use for the property. A vineyard, tasting room, and restaurant was my hope. Looking at grapevines is my preference, though I wish the golf course had not gone away. I hope that there will be some walking areas for the locals. We tend to walk a lot in Gird valley. Looking forward to seeing changes as this progresses. 😀🍷🍷😀

45. Bobbie and Jim   November 18, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Thank you Jade and Julie. We so appreciate what you have done. Your tremendous efforts will create a wonderful legacy. Bobbie and Jim

46. Peter Van Zandt   November 18, 2016 at 5:42 pm

Played a lot of golf there, having grown up on Lake Tree, but have no standing to complain as we moved away permanently in 1991. Vines and trees don’t mix so this will certainly clear the site lines on Gird road and open up the valley, exposing some nice rolling hills that have been covered with scrub and trees for 50 years. Looking forward to see what the next chapter is for this property and vines would appear to be its highest use, but hope that Jade keeps the 9th hole or a nice putting complex for old times sake. But most of all, how about an abundance of moderately priced, quaffable wine and a nice farm to table type restaurant in keeping with the relaxed Fallbrook lifestyle. Best of luck, I’m certainly pulling for them.

47. Preston   November 19, 2016 at 7:54 am

I have a small Avocado Ranch near the golf course and have friends that grow grapes. When I see what they go through, growing grapes is not something I would want to deal with — very very labor intensive. All the different fungus, each requiring a specific remedy, and what you have to go through to protect from pests incredible. I wish the Works the best however one thing I have learned is sometimes it is best to stick to what you know.

48. Bob Lindner   November 19, 2016 at 12:55 pm

We agree with Preston and have heard horror stories regarding the problems of growing grapes. The fact that the Works have stepped up to do this for the community is just beyond
    marvelous. We wish you every success and we will certainly support you in every way we can.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!

49. Terri Reynolds   November 20, 2016 at 10:26 am

Thank you Jade and Julie for your patience in purchasing the Fallbrook Golf Course. We live on Laketree and are ecstatic to hear of your plans! We join with our neighbors in support of your business. We look forward to meeting you! Hope there will be another opportunity after Thanksgiving holiday when all are able to meet. It truly is a “Thanksgiving”for Gird Valley and Fallbrook with your hearts to purchase and save our FGC from future development. Thank you! Thank you!! ❤️Terri and Wade Reynolds 🍷🍷🎉🎉🎉

50. Dusty   November 21, 2016 at 8:13 am

Well, there is a plethora of grape growing, in this region, so I think there will be lots of resources to understand the risks, pests, disease one has to treat for. Sharpshooters, etc.

With the ongoing drought, the higher water needs of avocados has made them less attractive, with grapes requiring far less water.

It will be interesting how the views will change, with the existing trees likely coming out. Also, acoustically, a house on the east side of Gird, on the hill, made me painfully aware of how far ‘house music’ can travel when played at a high volume.

51. R Finch   November 23, 2016 at 9:33 am

Thank you, Jade and Julie, for stepping up to save this badly neglected property from development into wall-to-wall houses. When so many other golf courses have lost this battle, we in Fallbrook will be blessed (via conservation easements placed on the property) with open space and agriculture in beautiful Gird Valley FOREVER. That is amazing! Wonderful! On behalf of neighbors, the birds, the coyotes and all the wildlife in this precious little valley, Thank You! You will be remembered in Thanksgiving prayers in all our homes this week and we promise to be your best customers when you get your business up and running! Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

52. L Hunt   November 28, 2016 at 11:49 am

Thank you to the Work Family. We hope your new adventure is a fun and exciting one. We are looking forward to the natural beauty of the Gird Valley growing and changing with the seasons.
    We had dreamed about living in the south of France for years, and even looked at homes for sale. Now, we don’t have to pack, move, or learn the language. I think we will stay put and watch the vines grow and enjoy the wine when it’s time.

53. Patricia Steele   November 28, 2016 at 4:51 pm

We are so excited and happy with the new owners plans! Congratulations to the Works family! We just moved to Gird Valley a month ago and we have been praying for positive results. WE live right above the clubhouse, we cant wait to enjoy the view.

54. JS   December 17, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Come on, a golf course construction company won’t rework the course because the grass is dead? LOL, calling BS on that one.

55. bbking   December 21, 2016 at 9:46 am

WHO WOULD WANT TO GROW GRAPES/ DRINK WINE AFTER THE PROPERTY HAS BEN HIT WITH 50 YEARS OF CHEMICALS AND PESTICIDES????????

• Dusty   December 22, 2016 at 9:47 am

While it may not be organic, I am sure there will be soil testing, if it hasn’t been done already, as well as the typical testing for chemicals and pesticides before a single bottle is allowed to be sold to the public.

56. Preston   December 23, 2016 at 6:44 am

Well, what do you know, the grass wasn’t dead after all, it just needed a little water (rain).
    The way things have progressed so rapidly, I’d say “saving the course” was never in the mix but to be honest, I would much rather drink wine than play golf. Hope they build a fabulous winery with a great restaurant, entertainment and perhaps some evening dancing!

57. Carl Loud   March 3, 2017 at 2:33 pm

I lived in Oceanside from 1986 through 1991 while my wife and I were serving in the Navy stationed at Camp Pendleton. In 1988 when I retired from the Navy, I started working at Fallbrook Golf Course as a course marshal and then worked my way up and into the Pro Shop as a starter and in sales. The course back then was owned by the Cook family. I don’t remember the parent’s names, but their daughter, Blaire, was the General Manager. I thoroughly enjoyed working at the course, but more than that, playing the course. I really enjoyed the beautiful scenery, the peacefulness and the whole golfing experience. I would proudly point out to my playing partners the home that former Dodger great Duke Snider owned high on the hillside overlooking the fourth teeing area. I haven’t been back to Fallbrook since leaving in 1991, but I know that if I ever did, I would definitely make time for a visit. Great memories are there for me and Fallbrook will always will be one of my favorite golf courses ever. Best wishes and much success to the new owners.