Fallbrook Avocado Festival: 27 years strong; event takes place Sunday, April 21

When downtown Fallbrook erupts with excitement on Sunday, April 21 for the 2013 Avocado Festival, it will mark the 27th consecutive year of the event that heralds the green gold as king and the sponsoring entity, the Fallbrook Chamber of Commerce, expects a healthy attendance.

“We expect to draw about 70,000 people again this year,” said Richard Kennedy, CEO. The event, Kennedy said, is very beneficial to the community.

“Local businesses that are open on that Sunday, particularly the downtown businesses, increase their sales dramatically due to the number of people here,” he explained. “Many have said their best day of the year is always the day of the Avocado Festival.”

Kennedy said it is typical for festival day to generate over $1.5 million in revenue (booths and existing stores).

“We encourage our local businesses to stay open,” said Kennedy. “We think it’s a good deal; where else can you get 70,000 people in one day?”

As a result of booth space rentals for the festival, the chamber typically collects between $40,000 and $50,000, Kennedy said, adding that the revenue is put back into the community.

“That money is put into a lot of our programs, such as the Christmas Parade, and other things that benefit both chamber members and the community,” said Kennedy. “It also provides operating funds for the chamber to sustain business promotion.”

The average booth space at the festival is between $250 and $300, with prices dependent on positioning and whether electrical or other hookups are needed. Non-profit organizations receive space for a significant discount.

Booths contain a virtual rainbow of offerings – including clothing, crafts, jewelry, hats, food items, artwork, home d

17 Responses to "Fallbrook Avocado Festival: 27 years strong; event takes place Sunday, April 21"

1. Ray Fassbender   April 19, 2013 at 9:33 am

As part of the Avocado Festival, I would love to see Fallbrook bring back the Guacamole Grande bicycle ride. Is there any chance?

2. Check it out   April 19, 2013 at 10:03 am

I doubt it Ray, the last time it ran someone was hit by a car and killed, which brought about a huge lawsuit against both the Chamber of Commerce and the person who organized the ride.

3. Lee   April 19, 2013 at 10:38 am

FINALLY, it seems that our festival will showcase and celebrate our Hispanic culture and community on a greater scale, those who are the backbone of this avocado industry! Without the Hispanic community there would be, who’s kidding who, NO local avocado industry. I have always thought it SHAMEFUL for the festival to not showcase our Hispanic community more but to instead suppressing it. It is the Hispanic community who do all the back-breaking work . . . yet have always been only superficially showcased and celebrated.

But why should I be surprised?

4. JR   April 19, 2013 at 11:00 am

Yeah, that was really sad. The lady was probably out of shape and as I remember it, she just fell over on her bike in front of some poor person driving up Stage Coach. Not sure I could make it up that hill very well either.

5. Jose Cuervo   April 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm

What on earth are you talking about (now) Lee? The Hispanic community has been involved with the Avo Fest for years!! Not only the Flaminco dancers and ballet but food as well. The best food booth there is the one serving authentic tacos. What do you think guacamole is anyway? Geez.

6. Re?????   April 20, 2013 at 7:08 am

Really Lee?? Why don’t you settle down with your “Hispanic Culture” bit. We hear it everyday in our supermarkets, lawn care associates, bars, and everywhere where there are people. So don’t give me this crap about your backbone experiences and your cries for superficial grievances. It is part of Fallbrooks culture, not only the Hispanics. Give it a rest already!!

7. Re???   April 20, 2013 at 7:09 am

Do your whining across the border.

8. ex vendor   April 21, 2013 at 12:43 pm

We had some of our best days in business at the Fallbrook Avocado Festival. Too bad the city and chamber got so greedy that they priced the good vendors out.

If you want to see solar panels, chiropractors, or time share people though you’re in great shape.

9. The Dude   April 21, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Why do people bring their dogs to this event every year?

10. WOW...   April 21, 2013 at 6:18 pm

very disappointed in this years AVOCADO festival….not a whole lot of Avo anything…just normal street fair vendors…boring and uneventful if you ask me.

11. A.H.   April 21, 2013 at 6:27 pm

The Dude…. this is a animal town my friend, really have to ask then you really need to open you eyes. They do it because they can.

12. Check it out   April 21, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Pets are prohibited every year and every year people still bring their pets. The security people and the sheriff’s do NOTHING about it. They ignore it and let it slide, so of course next year people will still bring their pets, it’s ridiculous to say it is prohibited when it obviously isn’t.

13. Re????   April 21, 2013 at 8:10 pm

To ex-vendor, I am sorry that this has happened to you. I wish you the best of luck whatever your do. Maybe this was a blessing to you and your better rainbow is right around the corner.

To The Dude- I am not sure as well. It gets so hot and people are stumbling around so much after the cocktails that these dogs are getting beat around. I also think that some of these individuals are looking for fights with their dogs. I think there should be a rule stating people are allowed, but their pets are not, maybe some of the married couples will not bring their spouses LOL, sorry I was just trying to lighten the conversation.

14. mama B   April 22, 2013 at 10:56 am

I love dogs, but the Avocado Festival is no place to bring your pets. Besides the crowds, the poor animals can suffer in the heat also. I think that when everything says "no pets" that should be the rule. They even had a place this year to keep your pets while at the festival.
    If anyone violates that rule, they should be ticketed and fined. The money collected could be given to the Chamber for their outstanding work or to the animal sanctuary. We need someone to responsible for the ticketing. What do you think?

15. Check it out   April 22, 2013 at 1:21 pm

The county has an ordinance against bringing dogs to the avocado festival but the county doesn’t enforce it. The sheriff’s turn a blind eye and if you ask them to so something bout it they ignore you. Saw allot of stressed out thirsty dogs at the event yesterday with sore feet. Perhaps the humane society needs to be called in.

16. Re????   April 22, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Mama B, You are so right. I would do it. I would be Barney Fife in the streets with my ticket pad ready for service!!! I was not aware that there was already a regulation against having animals at the festival. It is high time for these violators to pay their dues.

17. Big D   April 24, 2013 at 1:12 am

Sadly I even bought a last year 2012 Avocado Festival hat from the boots and did not notice about it until I home that night.

I wish they can focus more about Avocado related product and events.