Fatal accident closes three lanes on NB I-15 just south of SR-76

A motorcycle remains on I-15 after a multi-car accident in which the motorcyclist died. Heather Olinger photo

UPDATE 2 – As of 5:38 p.m. the #1, 2, and 3 lanes were open.

UPDATE – The #2 lane was being reopened at 4:42 p.m.

According to the CHP, several vehicles collided on northbound I-15 just north of SR-76 at 3:41 this afternoon. First, a white Ford F150 collided with a motorcycle; the motorcycle went down and five other vehicles became involved in the accident including a big rig, blocking the slow lane.

A sig alert was issued at 4:14 p.m. for northbound 15 with # 2, 3 and 4 lanes blocked until further notice.

21 Responses to "Fatal accident closes three lanes on NB I-15 just south of SR-76"

1. Me   September 12, 2017 at 7:29 am

The motorcyclist was splitting lanes on the freeway at unknown speeds……

This is the second “lane-splitting” fatality in a month in the North County. There’s a reason why 49 other states ban the practice…..but of course California decides to officially sanction it.

It’s tough enough driving on 4 lane freeways watching out for vehicles around you in their lanes….and deal with speeding motorcycles lane splitting at 60 mph as well. Add in the texters..and you have disasters like this.

2. Daniel Renfroe   September 12, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Everyday I ride my motorcycle! Some guys are mellow some are idiots traveling at high speeds. Most motorists are aware but there is always a texter! I battle it everyday! Lane splitting isn’t as bad as most think and In fact I feel safer while moving! Most of my near accidents involve motorists swerving into my lane nearly missing me after they see me sitting still. I believe we should have a totally separate motorcycle lane.

3. grunt   September 12, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Daniel – yep, both times I was hit it was from behind.
    don’t want separate lane – can you imagine what bike registration would cost if gov. Brown could charge us for the lane?

4. Denny   September 13, 2017 at 9:57 am

Good lesson on barbarians versus the civilized. Too many motorcyclists push for the freedom to continue splitting lanes for their own ego and convenience regardless of the inordinate risks to themselves and the rest of society. The only “safety factor” becomes those in cars and trucks who must continually check for motorcyclists with bad judgement along with guarding against the actions of the rest of the third world in California. An old story: barbarians demanding the right to exercise bad judgement at the risk of the civil.

• Ducati Monster   September 14, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Homegrown and third world barbarians on US15? Who would have thought in the 1950’s and 1960’s this would happen? (I know US15 was not around then and is beside the point.) Economic progress can bring good and bad. Just wait until the Passion Cabriolet drivers feed some money to the Demos in Sacramento so they can lane split and it will be even more Mad Max out there.

5. Lee   September 13, 2017 at 11:14 am

This is what happens, my dear fellow Fallbrookers, when you keep on building and building and building and adding and adding and adding folks to this area thinking that the infrastructure can support all this traffic. And now they are building that Horse Creek Ridge [beep] and are planning that Lilac Hills Ranch bull[beep].

And what do you think the traffic will be then? How many more accidents do you think will happen?

And for who is all this development? For the military, of course.

People die because of this increased housing build-up and traffic, yet our military-industrial complex doesn’t give a [beep]. It’s all about them.

6. Preston   September 14, 2017 at 6:34 am

Obviously lane splitting is incredibly dangerous.
    It puts everyone traveling the roadways at risk and for what?
    So a motorcyclists can get ahead of you? is that what it is all about?
    So who is it that has pushed to allow lane splitting?
    I understand it a way of rewarding motorcyclists for saving gas and the environment.
    And, when the tiniest little thing go wrong when splitting lanes, what is the typical result for the motorcyclist?
    Really? Some reward.

• grunt   September 14, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Preston, one major reason the state allows lane splitting is that bikes tend to over heat when stopped in traffic – think how much more hassle you would have as bikes stalled, and had to be pushed off the road.

Another reason – SAFTY, bikes are safer when they are nor trapped between cars; drivers often see the bike brake light as the third light on the car and stop behind the car – NOT the bike. I agree that lane splitting could be dangerous to the biker – but how many drivers have been injured in a bike v. car wreck? Maybe some minor body damage to the car.

Far worse than splitting are cell phones, texting, eating a hamburger, looking at the kids in the back seat.

• Joe Naiman   September 14, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Grunt – I’m not contesting your opinion that looking at kids in the back seat is dangerous, but I’d like to know how you handle a situation. When my children were young I had a 1983 Chrysler which did not have air bags, so I could put one child in the front seat and separate the other two on other sides of the back seat. My mother’s car had air bags, so when we went with her all three of the children had to sit in the back seat with each other. Do you have any advice on how to minimize distractions of children in the back seat with cars which have air bags?

• grunt   September 14, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Joe- of course I don’t! I drove across the country in station wagon and sedans with no seat belts with 2 year old in the back, I have never claimed to be a perfect driver who was never distracted; I do avoid phone and texting

7. Preston   September 15, 2017 at 6:07 am

Grunt, I am fine with lane splitting at a signal light or in heavy traffic moving at less than 25 MPH, its the high speed lane splitting that is totally unnecessary and the problem.
    I agree with you on the texting, it is probably the #1 most dangerous activity taking place on the roads today and totally out of control. There is however technology that can drastically reduce the distraction — The Bluetooth system in my vehicle reads and announces incoming text messages and I can verbally respond without taking my hands off the steering-wheel or looking at my phone. Everyone caught texting should be required to have this technology installed on their vehicle regardless of the cost.

• Me   September 15, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Exactly Preston. I have no problem with cyclists lane splitting at slow speeds or stopped traffic….but the last 10 times a cyclist sped past me lane splitting…they were going at least 60 mph.

8. Preston   September 17, 2017 at 8:08 am

My opinion on the problem in general:
    Many Motorcyclists in this area are simply out of control.
    They take risks that put everyone in danger.
    They stunt ride everywhere — Including doing wheelies and standing on the seat at 80 MPH+ on the 15 and other freeways.
    They lane split at high speed and illegally pass all the time.
    Considering I see this kind of activity weekly it is surprising that I have never seen one pulled over getting a ticket.
    BUT, what I have frequently seen are articles in the paper with similar results as in this article.
    By the way, I rode a bike for several years, never lane split, pulled stunts on the roadways or had to lay it down — Guess what, I am still alive and well.

9. grunt   September 17, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Preston, Joe – I agree totally. Lane splitting at 60 while doing a wheelie is NOT responsible riding. If traffic is moving at or near the speed limit, there is no need to split – HOWEVER when traffic is very heavy, no one leaving room between cars, bikers are more susceptible to being hit from rear (I think) than if they maneuver through the traffic,.

10. D   September 18, 2017 at 7:58 am

So this morning I’m in the #2 lane doing 80 MPH down I-15 and I get passed by a bike doing 90+ MPH. Never saw him until he passed by me. What gives?

11. grunt   September 18, 2017 at 11:50 am

D- he is an idiot? I don’t know what gives – it wasn’t me. Maybe he figured if you were speeding he could too?

12. Preston   September 19, 2017 at 7:21 am

I travel the 15 frequently and it seems that the average speed has been 80 MPH for some time. If the CHP is going to allow this to be the norm (and it seems they are as they are not stopping those traveling at that speed) the posted limit should be increased.

• grunt   September 19, 2017 at 2:55 pm

On CA highways the “speed limit” is determined by “safe” speed; if the flow is going 80mph you can do 80mph, if the road/weather conditions are such that 45 is “safe” you can get ticketed for doing 50. Notice that only some signs read “MAX SPEED LIMIT”.

I have been told this by CHP, SDSO, and found in on one of the CA web sites, but don’t have time to look it up.

BUT for bikers, “cagers”, what ever, the key is SAFE. Changing the law will not cause those that break it now to suddenly conform.

I have been riding for decades- only two times been hit – both by cars from the rear – that is why I split lanes

13. Preston   September 21, 2017 at 9:00 am

Perhaps you are speaking of the “basic speed law” which prohibits traveling at a speed faster than is safe for the conditions however, I believe it is a violation of the law to travel at a speed greater than the “absolute speed limit” posted regardless of the flow of traffic speed so if a CHP officer told you otherwise I would consider getting a second opinion.

14. grunt   September 21, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Preston, nope, there are two types of speed laws – one is absolute – i.e. MAX Speed in a business district; the other is “presumed” (I have looked it up before – maybe I will again) if traffic on a hiway is moving at 85, and the posted speed limit is 75, and it is safe to drive at 85 concerning weather , road condition etc a judge is supposed to fine you not guilty,. Also, it is 3am, you are driving 40 in a 35 zone, no traffic no walkers – same result – judge is supposed to fine you not guilty.