Fatal accident occurs on Interstate 15 at Gopher Canyon

BONSALL – On December 19, a wrong-way driver caused a series of crashes on Interstate 15 in the Deer Springs area, including one that killed a 29-year-old active-duty Marine who was thrown from his Harley Davidson, authorities said today.

At approximately 6:31 pm several motorists called 911 to report a wrong way driver traveling northbound in the southbound center divide and at times partially in the #1 lane just north of Deer Springs Rd at a slow rate of speed. Shortly after the calls started coming in the vehicle sideswiped a 2006 Ford F-150 driven by a 52 year old male from Vista. That collision caused minor damage to the F-150 and its driver reported no injuries.

The vehicle now identified as a 2000 Ford Escort stopped for a short time in the center divide after the collision but then continued wrong way in the center divide. The vehicle was now approaching Gopher Canyon Rd. when it hit the concrete bridge railing over Gopher Canyon Rd at approximately 6:36 pm. This collision caused the vehicle to veer into the #1 lane and overturn. Shortly after overturning the vehicle struck a 2013 Kia Optima driven by a 59 year old male from San Diego. This vehicle sustained minor damage and the driver did not report any injuries.

After the Ford Escort struck the Kia in the #1 lane it was coming to rest in the lane when a 29 year old male from Fallbrook was riding his 1993 Harley Davidson Motorcycle approached the scene. He attempted to apply his brakes but was unsuccessful and collided into the Ford Escort causing him to be ejected from the motorcycle. The motorcyclist was transported to Palomar Hospital but was pronounced dead enroute.

The driver of the 2000 Ford Escort is identified as 63 year old Robert Sidney Bowman of Valley Center, he was transported to Palomar Hospital with unknown injuries. At this time it is unknown if alcohol or drugs played a factor in this collision or if it was a medical emergency. Chemical tests are pending. The driver may face several charges depending on the outcome of the investigation.

The collision remains under investigation.

17 Responses to "Fatal accident occurs on Interstate 15 at Gopher Canyon"

1. amazing   December 20, 2012 at 9:38 am

It’s amazing this didn’t cause more destruction than it did with traffic. Thoughts are with the rider’s family. Terrible chain of events.

2. amazing   December 20, 2012 at 9:40 am

Why didn’t this guy just stop? Did he think he was just going to do a U turn into oncoming traffic and all was going to be ok?

3. Vet and Citizen   December 20, 2012 at 9:51 am

I know a few younger motocyclist from Fallbrook and then there are the young marines who serve proudly for our freedoms. Without knowing the name yet, what an especially sad time to have something happen to you and your family.
    Just keep all in your prayers and pray that alcohol wasn’t involved.

4. ???   December 20, 2012 at 10:24 am

Name of 29 year old male?

5. supernatural   December 20, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Well, actually, it is sad whether you knew him or not.

6. Family Member   December 20, 2012 at 1:24 pm

The victim in this accident was an active duty Marine with nearly 12 years of dedicated service and several combat zone tours. His family is devastated, especially his mother who awoke this morning to three, full-dress Marines on her doorstep who delivered the sad news. The family thanks you for your thoughts and prayers; we’re also thankful that the other victims weren’t seriously injured.

7. sh   December 20, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I’m so sorry for his family. my prayers go out to you.

8. Amanda Kathryn   December 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm

This was my Uncle, and my family is having a very hard time with this. Please continue to keep us in your prayers, and thank you for your condolenses.

9. marinewife   December 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I saw emergency vehicles from my house last night. I am so sorry to hear this happened. Maybe the wrong way driver was having a medical emergency?

To Amanda….my condolences to you and your family. May your memories of your uncle give you comfort.

10. JH   December 20, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I’m so sorry for the family of the Marine killed in this accident. It is heartbreaking to hear that a valued member of our community and the military community was lost tragically. Many positive thoughts and healing energy going out to his family and friends.

11. Cp   December 20, 2012 at 10:49 pm

This accident happened right in front of me (I was in the #3 lane). It was coming up over the hill and happened so fast that I heard it before I saw it. My prayers are with the family of the motorcyclist.

12. Chief @ West Coast   December 21, 2012 at 10:08 am

Brent was a good friend of ours, A great marine & a great man. We will miss him dearly

13. Scrappy   December 21, 2012 at 10:18 am

Amanda, sweetie, I am sorry for the loss of your uncle. While I dont believe I ever personally met him I have heard lots about him and know lots of people who know him and your aunt very well. You and the rest of your family are in my thoughts.

14. reverse   December 21, 2012 at 5:16 pm

My Deepest condolences to the Family, The Corps (Semper Fi),and the Brotherhood! 1818

15. Family Member   December 21, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Brent’s family is gradually getting some add’l info about the accident. This is going to be a long and involved investigation. Please don’t jump to any conclusions. There are two families here that need your thoughts and prayers. To Mr. Bowman’s family, we understand; and you do have our thoughts and prayers. This is a shared tragedy for both of our families.

16. temecula mom   December 22, 2012 at 11:57 am

@Family member,
    I am so very sorry. what a horrible week this has been as I’ve been hearing so much awful news. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family and friends of Brent. Brent, thank you for your service, you are appreciated more than you will ever know.

17. Nate   December 25, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I served with this Marine in Okinawa and he was my roommate for a year. There are so many great things that can be said about Brent but all I can think of is that he was taken all too soon. MSSG-31 MP’s love you and miss you Brent and we will keep your name alive until the day we too pass and see you guarding the gates of heaven in your dress blues as a United States Marine! SEMPER FIDELIS!