Training accident at Camp Pendleton injures 15 Marines

CAMP PENDLETON – At approximately 9:33 a.m. this morning an amphibious assault vehicle caught fire in a land-based training accident on Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, injuring 15 Marines from 1st Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment and 3rd Assault Amphibian Battalion, reported 1st Lt. Paul Gainey, a spokesman for the USMC 1st Marine Division.

The Marines were conducting a combat readiness evaluation as part of scheduled battalion training at the time of the incident.

Eight Marines were medically evacuated to the Burn Center at University of California San Diego Health. Three Marines are in critical condition and five Marines are in serious condition.

Four Marines have been taken to the University of California Irvine Medical Center. Two Marines are in critical condition and two Marines are receiving medical treatment with an unknown medical condition.

One Marine has been taken to Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla and is in stable condition.

Two Marines are being treated at the Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton with minor injuries.

The amphibious landing vehicle involved in the incident was an Assault Amphibious Vehicle. An AAV is used to transport Marines from the sea to land, and has been used in operations since the 1970s.

The 1st Marine Division would like to thank the civilian and military emergency personnel who responded immediately to the situation and allowed the injured Marines to receive rapid care. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Marines and their families affected by this incident.

Officials are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident at this time.

22 Responses to "Training accident at Camp Pendleton injures 15 Marines"

1. MollyM   September 13, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Prayers for their rapid recovery.

2. Lee   September 13, 2017 at 5:16 pm

He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword. Or in laymen’s terms, stupid is as stupid does.

Gomer: “PRESENT!”

• D   September 14, 2017 at 7:12 am

You are such a TROLL! Karma is going to get you.

• grunt   September 14, 2017 at 1:09 pm

D -didn’t you tell me to ignore the idiot? 🙂 Can’t believe the guy – he must have lost several girlfriends to Marines to be so joyful over injuries.

• D   September 15, 2017 at 6:38 am

Yep….but you hadn’t replied yet so I did. LOL.

• Lee   September 14, 2017 at 6:59 pm

@ D

Considering the fact that our government and military have inflicted such pain, suffering and destruction all over the world for decades, perhaps this accident is karma upon us, wouldn’t you say?

• Kim Harris   September 15, 2017 at 9:06 am

*DISCLAIMER* Commentors opinions do not necessarily reflect those opinions of Reeder Media, Village News or employees of the company. KH

3. Lexi   September 14, 2017 at 12:35 pm

How do we find out the names. My boyfriend is a marine and in that unit. I’m very worried.

• Kim Harris   September 14, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Hi Lexi, as of 2 p.m. this afternoon those names have not been released, and I would hazard a guess, won’t be due to HIPPA laws. The family should be contacted by the U.S. Marine Corps so I would suggest you contact your boyfriend’s family. KH

• grunt   September 14, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Lexi, you can call the Family Readiness Officer for your Marine’s unit, you may be able to get the answer from him/her. If you do not know the number, call 760-725- 4111 and ask base information for the FRO for his unit. Kim’s idea is probably better (below)

4. FR86   September 14, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Lee,

It’s a pitty that you weren’t in the vehicle.

To the Village News, if you review all the comments for propriety made by idiots like Lee please explain why you allowed this one to be published.

FR86

• Kim Harris   September 14, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Hi FR86,
      We review the comments for profanity, everything else should be approved as Village News allows for free speech, even when that speech is something Village News or its staff may not agree with. My husband is a 24-year retired Navy Chief Corpsman who ran with the Marines his entire career. Personally, I find Lee’s comments appalling to say the least. If he wants to act like a fool and be a troll behind a screen name, then that’s on him. It’s sad that so many people find forums such as ours as a way to act like idiots during a time when families are suffering. All I can say, is shame on you Lee. KH

• Lee   September 14, 2017 at 7:01 pm

@ Kim Harris

And what about the Iraqi, Yemeni, Afghan, Libyan, Tunisian, Egyptian, and Syrian families who are suffering?

What about them, Kim?

• Kim Harris   September 15, 2017 at 9:05 am

This world is one where many suffer at the hand of other’s, a sad, but true fact. We do what we can for those suffering throughout the world. Personally, I keep them in prayer daily and donate what I can financially for different programs designed to help those who are suffering.

However, it is important to remember that these injured Marines could be members of our local community and they signed up to serve our country of their own will, taking the necessary risks to defend our freedoms. When they went to work that day, they didn’t know what was going to happen to them, and yes, those who sign up to serve know there is a daily risk to their health and well-being. With all of that said, we live in a volatile world and I believe that these men and women who serve deserve to be supported for their selfless acts, not cut down or attacked verbally online.

As it stands I will be adding a disclaimer to all comments on this posting, but be aware, I am taking a tough stance on this particular posting and if the negative verbal attacks against these service members continue, I may be forced to shut down comments on this posting. KH

• Lee   September 15, 2017 at 5:34 pm

@ Kim

Well your prayers aren’t good enough, Kim. It’s a façade. They are useless.

Two, my initial comments were not meant directly towards the soldiers but as a general statement of our nation and national policy. And, of course, you know that yet use over-the-top theatrics to criticize me.

Three, as you have now read many of my comments, you surely know that I am against the Second Amendment, am anti-war and pro peace which means that I am against ALL physical harm to ALL folks INCLUDING THESE SOLDIERS! Don’t you think? But no, you and your boys-next-door friends have to make a big stink out of this. Oh well, that’s on you. All of Fallbrook is reading your comments.

• Kim Harris   September 15, 2017 at 11:28 pm

Lee,

Then I have to apologize for my misunderstanding your intent. I am perhaps overly sensitive coming from a military family, with my father, grandfather, all my uncles, spouse and three of my children serving, I tend to jump straight to the defensive, so I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I know many who are like you, against the Second Amendment, anti war and pro peace, all things that I can completely understand.

Again, my apologies for the misunderstanding. KH

• grunt   September 14, 2017 at 7:53 pm

FR86- I know Lee to be an idiot full of hate; but you and I fought for his right to babble. I would not like to see FVN start to censor “un-comfortable” speech – and I know you would not either. Semper Fi

• Lee   September 15, 2017 at 5:35 pm

@ FR86

Huh, your kindness is overwhelming. So much in your belief of the First Amendment.

5. FR86   September 15, 2017 at 8:47 am

To the VN.

I can accept the free speech defense by the VN. I would suggest when this individual or ones like him put something in the paper merely to incite and anger readers that the VN put a disclaimer in the heading for example: ” The Village News takes no responsibility for the sentiment or ideas stated by the individual(read MORON) that wrote this comment.”

BTW, I am a veteran Marine Officer.

• Kim Harris   September 15, 2017 at 9:08 am

Great minds think alike FR86. I am now approving comments to this posting with a disclaimer! KH

6. MollyM   September 15, 2017 at 9:17 am

Thank you, Kim Harris for your comments and disclaimers. The diatribe from Lee is beyond the pale and truly too disgusting to acknowledge with a response. However, what you are doing is both appropriate and appreciated. Continued prayers for the injured Marines for a rapid and uneventful recovery.

7. FR86   September 16, 2017 at 7:20 am

To Lee,

If I was unfortunate to find you in my command in the Corp, I would put you in charge of the the latrines because that’s all you are worthy of doing……..you’d probably be bad at that as well.

“Empty barrels make the most noise” General John Kelly USMC Ret .

To the VN and Kim Harris, Please continue to maintain your excellence in local journalism.