Five small earthquakes strike Baja California

SAN DIEGO – Five small earthquakes struck Saturday and today in the same area of northern Baja California and were close enough to be felt in San Diego County.

The largest hit Saturday just after 4 p.m. and was estimated at magnitude 4.3. Its epicenter was about 30 miles southeast of Calexico and 100 miles east of Tijuana, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The first weekend quake was magnitude 3.2 at 1:40 p.m. Saturday, and it was followed by a magnitude 3.2 at 12:52 a.m. and a 3.4 shaker at 2:36 a.m. today, according to the USGS.

There was no known damage as a result of the quakes, the latest of hundreds of small quakes that have been rattling the Imperial Valley and East County since 2007.

The swarm is centered near Guadalupe Victoria, a small farming town 19 miles southeast of Mexicali. A small volcano there erupted about 10,000 years ago, and geologists say the quake swarm emanates from shallow magma fields

associated with tectonic forces that are steadily separating Baja California from the rest of North America.

28 Responses to "Five small earthquakes strike Baja California"

1. Skip Gallup   April 4, 2010 at 4:16 pm

At approx. 1649 Quartzsite, AZ on April4th the house shook for about 20 seconds.

2. The Mainers   April 4, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Felt it in Costa Mesa Today.

3. Janice   April 4, 2010 at 4:36 pm

In Coolidge, Arizona at approx 3:45 pm, our ceiling fans were swinging, and our pool was sloshing! Kind of strange feeling!

4. Gabe   April 4, 2010 at 5:09 pm

was at work and my office wals and door started swaying and rattling…..about 20-30seconds…..

5. heather   April 4, 2010 at 5:09 pm

shopping at albertsons we felt an earthquake that even shook the shelves..lasted long enough to wal the isles.

6. Carmina   April 4, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Definitely felt the earthquake in the Temecula area, fixtures shaking, earth trembling with a bit of a sway that seemed to go on for a long time, even though it was probably only under a minute. Scary feeling, thankfully no damage.

7. Alvarez   April 4, 2010 at 5:43 pm

LastEd for a good minute

8. Julie C.   April 4, 2010 at 6:04 pm

We felt it today at 3:45 pm (Sunday) in Goodyear, Arizona. It lasted about a minute. I felt sea sick!!

9. Michelle   April 4, 2010 at 7:11 pm

We felt it in Anza too. We felt the roll then it seemed to slow down, then pick up speed. We thought it was going to keep rolling so we ran outside just in time for the quake to stop. The it seemed like a few minutes later we felt another quake.

10. raymond salaz.   April 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm

here in los angeles i felt like we were on top of rollers. i grabbed my one year old and ran down stairs, once i got out side i felt like throwing up of how dizzy i felt after wards. still out side barefooted the ground felt swinging for about 30 seconds continuing as the neighbors began to exit to their porch.

11. lis padilla vernon,ca.   April 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm

the quake gave me the impression i was dizzy. my husband said he felt the quake like a swing side to side.

12. Jeanette   April 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Definitely felt it in Temecula while at home. The frightening part was when the shaking seemed to become even stronger then when it first began.

13. Maxine   April 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm

At 4:48 I felt the VFW club in Bouse Arizona start shaking I knew there was an Earthquake somewhere. I felt like I was dizzy for few seconds because I had just sat down.
    Came back to Quartzsite to see on the TV it was in Baha California.

14. efrain arreola avondale az   April 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm

man this was crazt i was actually watching for the first time 2012 and it was the part when california was sinking laying on my futon here in avondale az i felt a shaking i told my buddy do u feel that is there a shake he started laughing saying i was paranoid and yup for sure he started to feel it also wow didnt finish the movie its really happening

15. hunter   April 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm

i guess our area is next that sucks ..murray ky

16. Mimi   April 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I was shopping at the Cabazon Premium Outlet in Desert Hills. The shoe racks were starting to shake. I thought someone was pushing the racks until it started to shake stronger. There were few people that were starting to run outside. It was shaking for a while.

17. JAY   April 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm

3:50 p.m in Yuma Az

18. sara wheeler   April 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm

sorry, we also felt it here in temecula.. very scary. the whole house was swaying back and forth. GO OUTSIDE! DO NOT HIDE UNDER TABLES, CHAIRS, BEDS, ANYTHING! hide NEXT to things (HARD ITEMS) to create a void in case your house collapses! Or go outside away from power lines. It’s your best bet.. I was asked to pass this on.

19. sara wheeler   April 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm

im hearing from my family, that our grandma in calexico (and the town) is being evacuated to arizona because the dam broke and they’re trying to avoid the water. please pray for them.

20. francis   April 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm

yes it felt like I was going to fall down and trow up

21. ricardo   April 5, 2010 at 7:25 am

does any one live in san diego

22. jocelyn   April 5, 2010 at 7:25 am

i was in the pool when it happen the water got out of the pool. i hated the after shocks the stongest after shock was 5.1 but yeah good thing was there was no one hurt 🙂

23. pretafella   April 5, 2010 at 7:26 am

we went out to dinner in lakewood and the place shook for a long time

24. kendra m   April 5, 2010 at 7:26 am

i thought i was dizzy we all went to eat my mom was yelln oh my god and yaya was sayn pray jr was falln asleep but that woke him

25. cindy   April 5, 2010 at 10:51 am

yo estaba afuera de mi casa y de pronto pense que estaba mareada asta que mi alberca espezo a sacar el agua por las esquinas y todavia me siento mareada

Translation follows: I was outside of my home and thought I was dizzy until my pool began spilling water from the corners. I still feel dizzy.

26. Elaine Moss   April 5, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Does anyone know what happened in San Felipe?

27. Grants pass   April 11, 2010 at 11:54 pm

It has not hit us here yet but I’m afreaid it will

28. Neto La Neta   April 27, 2010 at 8:43 am

I live in El Centro, California 92243. Down the mountains heading east. The epicenter was located about 33 miles away from here heading south where the main epicenter was when the first earthquake hit the Imperial Valley on 04-04-10, it was a scary 7.2 magnitude earthquake according to the records obtained by the experts. There is a lot of people that are terrified.