FUESD approves 2% increase for classified staff

On March 18, the Fallbrook Union Elementary School District (FUESD) governing board approved a comprehensive contract agreement with the California School Employee Association (CSEA) for the 2012-2013 year. The agreement would be retro-active to July 1, 2012, and include a salary schedule increase, effective July 1, 2012; commensurate salary schedule increase for management positions, effective July 1, 2012; and salary schedule increase for unrepresented confidential positions.

FUESD superintendent Candy Singh stated that the agreement was “very positive,” and explained that the approval concluded 2012-2013 negotiations with CSEA and would provide reasonable salary schedule increases to classified, management and confidential employees.

“The key terms of the agreement provide our classified employees with a two percent pay increase,” she said.

The agreement would also equalize the health benefits provided to all eligible employees. According to the agenda, the agreement had an amendment that would provide for “equalization of pay for all employees who are receiving a stipend for one dependent ($25 to $50) and zero dependents ($50 to $100),” with an effective date of January 1, 2013.

“Our work with the classified unit was very positive, productive and we look forward to continuing to work to meet the needs of our employees while focusing on our primary responsibility of increasing student achievement,” said Singh, who was pleased with the smooth process of negotiations.

“In the area of increasing student achievement, I am very proud of the work being done by our teachers and staff,” she said. “Our students are benefiting everyday from the hard work being done by our teachers, support staff, and school leaders.”

The district will also begin the bargaining process with both the teachers and classified associations later this spring.

Singh said that the hard work is significantly improving the student population’s achievement in various ways.

“Our instructional programs have improved dramatically in the last year due to the laser-like focus we have placed on ensuring that every student grows academically through excellent instructional delivery, high student engagement, and collaborative work with parents,” said Singh. “As a result, student achievement is on the rise in FUESD.”

19 Responses to "FUESD approves 2% increase for classified staff"

1. grunt   March 29, 2013 at 10:01 am

My employees bqasically took a pay cut – the SS taxes went up; however Isaw NO drop off in work – please explain how these "dedicated" teachers suddenly have "laser like focus" with a pay raise? Were they NOT working to their potential before? If not, then they most defiently should not have received a rasie.

2. Get facts straight   March 29, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Grunt- this raise was for CLASSIFIED staff. Teachers are CERTIFICATED staff, therefore, the CLASSIFIED staff received the raise.

3. Lee   March 29, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Grunt, besides your spelling mistakes, I agree with you.

I have a question for teachers, and I’m hoping they will (A) answer it earnestly and (B) answer the actual question. If you make, say, $80k/year, why can’t you do the same job for, say, $50k/year if, in fact, you LOVE to teach? Why the need for more money? Does money correlate you doing a better job and you loving to teach more?

4. Wah-wah   March 29, 2013 at 1:09 pm

If teaching is that easy maybe u should of become one and then u can make great money and u won’t have to take a pay cut

5. Pink   March 29, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Classified staff is personnel everybody, not teaching staff. They are clerical, custodial, etc. Not sure how long it has been since they have had a raise, not even sure if they deserved the raise, but if they said "certificated" that would be the teachers, just as comment#2 pointed out.

6. Parent   March 30, 2013 at 8:24 am

Good for the classified staff!

7. Yeah, it's been 11 years for them to get peanuts still   March 30, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I agree with Parent, in comment #6. Talk about loyal and dedicated school employees. These poor folks have gone for an eternity, without a nugget’s increase in pay. The "raise" is a joke. It’s barely above minimum wage, and these employees have worked for a LONG TIME. Even if they didn’t get the "raise," they would still come to work.

Why? Because they love our children. They love our students. They won’t leave the school district, because they love their jobs. Hat’s off- to those loyal, kind, and hard working employees who keep our kids safe. God Bless them all!

They are very patient people, (11 years since a raise-c’mon people). They all DESERVED the "raises." It’s been a long time coming, Lee!! Since you’re passionate about paycuts Lee, why not do a "job swap" with a teacher for a week? The teacher could see how easy your job is, and you work for peanuts. A crash course in (Teaching 101/Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is).

Since, (according to Lee,) teachers are making out like bandits- at a whopping 80k per year salary. Delusional people are scary. Teachers SHOULD MAKE 80k per year in salary, but THEY DON’T. It would be nice- if Teacher-Haters would take a 30k per yr. pay cut. Starting today Lee, what would Lee do? Or "what would Jesus do?"

8. FallbrookRealityShow   March 30, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Wow, I have an idea for a reality show here!!! How about a "Job Swap," with a teacher for a day? That’s a real- fake- scripted- reality- show, if I ever saw one!! Guarantee the (anti-teacher’s-union) comments would die away.

9. To Lee   March 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Did you even complete high school? I believe I earned my salary. 80000 a year only after 16 yrs in classroom with a bachelor and two masters degree in subjects that you most likely failed over and over again. As a matter of fact, I DO LOVE TEACHING! You should do some research to find out the fair market value of three degrees in today’s market is valued.

10. grunt   April 1, 2013 at 9:02 am

@lee – thanks for pointing out the mistakes; I COULD claim that this is the result of a California Education – but will not (I recieved a good education). I used a cell phone to type in my remarks, and I am not good on that. :-).

11. My two cents   April 2, 2013 at 12:00 am

CSEA, Classified staff had been in negotiations for many months to get this raise (right on time to cover the income tax increase and the medical insurance increase). Staff, some with 25+ years in this district, are not in it for the money, believe me. Compare salary schedules for FUESD with other districts around.
    I would like to see any critic try to teach 30+ students just one day, drive a bus full of kids, work in a special education classroom, stand out on the street in bad weather making sure kids and parents are crossing safely. I bet it would take more energy than to judge and criticize.
    I could go on and on but if people don’t get it, it’s beacause they don’t want to.

12. correction   April 2, 2013 at 2:58 pm

To Get the Fact Straight writer. The teachers got their raises a few months ago before the CSEA signed the contract with the district. Please so not say the teachers did not get a raise also….just way before the classified staff.

13. Lee   April 2, 2013 at 6:58 pm

@Grunt, cool.

Here’s a thought. Why can’t WE, THE PEOPLE, have popular referendum vote on these pay increases that WE fund? Why not?! Isn’t that a true democracy? I think so.

14. Lee   April 2, 2013 at 7:05 pm

@Comment #7.

PLEASE spare me the self-serving propaganda that teachers LOVE their students! Please! They love their wallets first and THEN they love their students. They whine and moan that they have long hours after they come home, and on and on it goes, and then we are to believe they love our children? Please, what nonsense.

PLEASE, let me repeat that to be absolutely clear, PLEASE let me know when you want me to come teach in your place! PLEASE let me know! PLEASE!

15. grunt   April 3, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Lee, amen.

16. Pink   April 3, 2013 at 7:21 pm

To make a blanket statement that all teachers do no love their students is ludicrous. I have known many wonderful, dedicated teachers, I have also known a few "duds". Just like any other profession there will always be a bad apple. I’m much more concerned about the high pay administrators receive, it is the teachers who are down in the trenches. Before any of you make an accusation, I am not a teacher. Never had the patients.

17. Village News Reader   April 3, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I wonder what Lee does for a living when he’s not trolling the Village News comment section? I wonder how much an internet troll gets paid? hmmm….

18. Pink   April 3, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Good one Staff. If you did I would be rich!! LOL.

I also wonder what Lee does for a living. Did he ever receive a raise? If so, why? Frankly I have read many of his comments and there is no way I would want him teaching my grandchildren!! So teachers, please do not take him up on his offer to replace you…..

19. Village News Reader   April 3, 2013 at 8:23 pm

To Village News Staff:

I wasn’t trying to imply that the Village News was paying any one to make comments. I was being sarcastic because I believe Lee is trolling and making comments just to cause controversy. Since he/she/it seems to be calling for others to take massive salary cuts I’m wondering what this particular troll does for a living and how much he’s paid so that we can put his salary up to a vote.