Gang member convicted of premeditated attempted murder and assault

VISTA – A Fallbrook gang member who shot a former comrade who had dropped out of their gang was convicted today of premeditated attempted murder and assault with a firearm.

Jurors also found true an allegation that Sergio Huerta Ramirez carried out the shooting for the benefit of his gang.

Ramirez, 20, faces more than 25 years to life in prison when he is sentenced Oct. 2.

According to court testimony, the victim was at the De Luz home of a friend when Ramirez and another man showed up and asked him for a ride into Fallbrook around 1 p.m. on Jan. 3, 2013.

After driving for a while, the defendant had the victim pull over to the side of the road. Once out of the vehicle, Ramirez shot the victim three times from close range, said Deputy District Attorney Cal Logan.

A passerby found the victim — who is in his 20s — lying next to his truck, which he crashed into a fence in a remote area near Camp Pendleton.

The passerby took the victim to Fallbrook Hospital, where he was treated for multiple gunshot wounds to the torso, shoulder and arm. His name was withheld by the prosecution because he was placed under protective custody.

18 Responses to "Gang member convicted of premeditated attempted murder and assault"

1. Father   August 2, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I’m very glad to see that the victim survived, and tip my hat to the good Samaritan that helped him. Young Sergio Ramirez will have new homies at his side in prison, so he’ll be right where he belongs. One less punk off the streets.

2. ???   August 2, 2014 at 10:59 pm

that’s right

3. not true   August 3, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Lol they’re not new homies for him. He’s been in n out of the system just like his brothers. Grew up in a bad family, mom died, he was even homeless! Had nobody’s help. I dont think what he did was right, but the “victim” is no victim. He should be in jail too, not under witness protection. Give his benefits to his kid that he doesn’t take care of. Fallbrook has nothing but losers in the streets.

4. Torque   August 3, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Good karma. Excellent story (very rare) with a very good ending, but gangs (sadly) will never die. I am sure two more have stepped up to take his place. It is all about preventing those who join before they start or It will never stop. We hear it we see it we know it, yet we do nothing as usual and he generations continue.

5. Unkown   August 3, 2014 at 11:35 pm

HE IS NO VICTIM!!!!!!!! !

6. dude   August 4, 2014 at 3:49 am

don’t believe everything that is on here had nothing to do with gang

7. Preston   August 4, 2014 at 6:54 am

It will be interesting to see how long of a sentence he actually gets on October 2, after all he has "not true" shedding a tear.

8. 25+ yrs Fallbrook resident   August 4, 2014 at 9:32 am

What gang?? The vfls?? Lol what a joke… grow up already and get a real job losers. It’s not worth it to throw your life away over a "gang". Seriously, grow up.

9. Laverne   August 4, 2014 at 10:14 am

Why have the programs for teens which were started by Junior Seau at the Boys and Girls Club been eliminated? This was a safe place for the kids who wanted to stay out of trouble. Now, there are after school programs but parents are charged a fee which poorer families cannot afford.

10. James   August 4, 2014 at 10:41 am

It comes down to the choices you make in life, stop with the excuses!

11. Fed Up   August 4, 2014 at 4:15 pm

You know…all of my friends my age…..we grew up without after school programs…and we weren’t gang members….

12. Fed Up   August 4, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Now that I think about it, my Father grew up very poor in a family of 13 children, farming in Missouri…his father died young leaving my grandmother with all of those children to raise….life was hard and they all worked very hard, nothing was given to them. They became Teachers, Doctors, Marines, etc…..guess what? None of them were gang members…….and their afterschool programs were ‘work’…

13. Fed Up   August 4, 2014 at 4:33 pm

How dare anyone come to this country, with all of its opportunities and expect "afterschool programs" to be given to them to "keep them off the streets"?

That’s a slap in the face to my ancestors and those of all others here whose families worked hard to make a living and contribute to society……….

14. Fed Up   August 5, 2014 at 9:45 am

lol…apparently I have a lot to say on this issue, but I am a little tired of this "Give me, give me, give me…" attitude. Give me an education, give me free medical, give me free lunches, oh, and sometimes breakfasts also…and give me afterschool programs so I have something better to do than become a gang and go shoot or knife other people. Give me a break…..

15. Me (the real one)   August 6, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Totally agree with Fed Up #11, #12, #13, and #14… :)

16. Angela   August 6, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Well said, Fed Up! Bravo!!

17. ItsPat   August 10, 2014 at 8:17 am

Sad to see Fallbrook going downhill. 3 of the articles here are about killings. Glad we left 12 years ago. I used to think it was a good place to raise your kids.

18. Fed Up   August 10, 2014 at 10:53 am

It used to be….. That was 30-some years ago Take a look around now….. I would not recommend it to anyone now, would you?