Lamberson has ‘acceptable offers’ for Fallbrook Golf Course

Jack Lamberson, who has been trying to sell Fallbrook Golf Course for more than two years, told the Village News on May 27 that he is closing in on a deal.

“We’re working with two different groups and we have acceptable offers from both,” said Lamberson, corporate comptroller and chairman of the board of directors for Fallbrook Golf Course, Inc. “They want to come in and purchase the golf course for a golf course. They’re are going to come in and really try to put it back together as a golf course. I hope they can.”

Lamberson, who planned to be out of town for most of the week of May  30-June 5, said the decision on which group to move forward with would likely be made during the week of June 6-12.

“I won’t give you any names right now,” said Lamberson. “One we are negotiating with is very local and well known. The other ones are down toward San Diego, although they have two or three other golf courses. That’s what we’re working on. It’s just a matter of a couple of financial things. That’s all I can say at this point.”

Lamberson reiterated that both parties are excited about the challenge of turning Fallbrook Golf Course back into a viable business.

“They’re going to put some money in it,” said Lamberson. “I hope that people will work with these people (the new owners) and give them business.”
Lamberson bought Fallbrook Golf Course, a property that contains 116 acres, in a short sale in June of 2012 and said he has lost money on the 18-hole layout from the day he purchased it. He had several meetings with interested parties in May and had one agreement – heavily rumored to be a done deal – fall through late in negotiations.

News that Lamberson is close to a deal with two parties that will keep Fallbrook Golf Course as a golf course will be well received by Gird Valley homeowners, who have feared the property would be sold to a mitigation company and allowed to fall into a dismal state or sold to a housing developer.

The idea of new owners pumping money into the course will be very popular with golfers, most of whom have been boycotting Fallbrook Golf Course due to deteriorating conditions. The few golfers who still tour the course have been braving dry and rugged fairways for months.
To comment on this story online, visit www.thevillagenews.com.

20 Responses to "Lamberson has ‘acceptable offers’ for Fallbrook Golf Course"

1. SaveFallbrookGolfCourse.com   June 3, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Everyone in Fallbrook hopes Mr. Lamberson closes a deal soon and that the golf course, a local gem, is saved from destruction! To the potential buyer, SaveFallbrookGolfCourse.com was founded in January of this year to save the course and so we support you and look forward to helping you succeed! See our website for more at SaveFallbrookGolfCourse.com

2. Dusty   June 3, 2016 at 4:41 pm

While I would like to believe we are finally close to a sale, with Jack being the only cited source for the information I am hesitant to get too excited. I’ve seen far too many “near miss” deals that fell apart, at the last minute, due to a misunderstanding of the terms or final price.

Jack has also been very clear that his intention is to sell it for the most money he can possibly get, regardless of whether it is for golf course, mitigation, development, cell tower facility or a mixture of these things. So, I would _not_ be inclined to rely on his assurances that these potential buyers are definitely committed to running it intact, as an 18 hole golf course with restaurant, driving range, lounge (and algae choked pond and brown fairways).

3. Brad Jordan   June 3, 2016 at 4:45 pm

We very much hope (and pray) that Jack is telling the truth and that he actually does sell the golf course to someone who will invest in it and take good care of it. I have my doubts but will take a positive, but wait and see attitude. It makes me want to cry when I drive by the course and see the burned out fairways. At least he is still watering the greens and tee boxes. I am sure Jack realizes that if he lets them go his investment will be close to worthless. Let’s all hope we read in the Village News very soon about new owners who are excited about turning the course to its previous glory!

4. JD   June 3, 2016 at 9:02 pm

I’m a local, just off hole 6, and I have made several comments regarding the state of affairs here with the course. I have bordered on anger towards Mr. Lamberson, but this news is turning my concerns into hope. I do realize that business ventures are, in the beginning, an exciting endeavor for the new owner, and that Mr. Lamberson was hopeful. But as it has been revealed, golf course ownership and successful profit plans, are best placed in the hands of the experienced. It seems from the article, that the potential new owners are just that, and I am ready to return to the course and bar to support them.

5. M. Mitzner   June 4, 2016 at 12:39 am

We are so happy to hear that a deal is close at hand to save Fallbrook Golf Course. It has been so sad to see the decline of a fun golf course which we have played for years. We can’t wait to support the new owner and bring our business back to Fallbrook.

6. Bill Geffeney   June 4, 2016 at 8:39 am

Boycott? Is the VN kidding? You take your life in your hands on what’s left of the course. God forbid that you rent a golf cart. You will probably have to push it most of the way. The course, the facilities, are all in such desperate condition that only Mr. Lamberson has himself to blame for his current plight. Locals all pray that he comes to his senses and crafts a deal so that sanity can be restored and the gem of Gird Valley will receive new stewardship. Everyone will support a change if for no other reason than the restoration of watering the course may save it from becoming a fire hazard.

7. Pingback: Media Coverage – Save Fallbrook Golf Course and beautiful Gird Valley

8. Davies   June 4, 2016 at 8:58 pm

I’m buying it so I can break a 100!

9. megan gamble   June 6, 2016 at 8:06 am

We were on the course this week-end -walking golfers trying to push our carts thru the “fairways.” It is beyond heartbreaking!! Lamberson is not watering or caring for the tee boxes and he has refused to buy the fungicide now needed for the greens. That means that the greens, the only things of value left on the course, could be gone in 3 weeks. Is this how a serious seller treats his “asset” when he is getting close to a deal? Don’t believe one word. Just yesterday, people went there to hit range balls, only to find everything locked up.

As for boycott – what a crock!! Through Lamberson’s arbitrary and capricious action of closing and then opening, closing again and re-opening again, he FORCED 3 extremely loyal golf groups,with this course since it opened in 1962, to leave their treasured home course. In sheer numbers they accounted for 100 or more loyal, local golfers playing 2 to 3 times a week. You can do the math that he can’t!!

10. megan gamble   June 6, 2016 at 11:41 am

p.s. Forgot to mention that all those “boycotting” people ate in the restaurant, drank at the bar, brought friends to enjoy the patio and the casual ambiance, put on special parties, tournaments and banquets to support all kinds of causes important to Fallbrook.It was a thriving hub of activity and will be again the very instant we have a new owner. Please hurry!!

11. Dusty   June 6, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Yep, I agree with Megan that the word ‘boycott’, from the article, is not at all accurate. The facility, and golf course, have been deteriorating to the point where people don’t want to spend their time, and money, there.

A boycott would be a symbolic gesture, where the golf course would still be serving the public as it always has been, with the same quality. People no longer patronize it now due to the owner allowing it to be neglected, crumbling with its gutted pro-shop, closed restaurant, tarp-covered bathroom roofs, dead lawns and overgrown weeds.

People will return, if/when a new owner comes in and fixes these things. But, it would sure be nice if Jack would stop letting it fall apart in the meantime.

12. Nancy   June 6, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Our Fallbrook ladies club hung in there as long as we possibly could, trying not to leave our home course. Eventually, carts with ripped seats that stalled in the middle of our games, the dirt fairways and gopher holes won and we were forced to move our club to Golf Club of California. We were all very sad to see Fallbrook go the way it did, and hope that it will made a full recovery with new owners

13. Jim   June 6, 2016 at 5:16 pm

New to the area, but count me in as a new player; even if a membership is required! Hope a new owner will come in and clean the place up.

14. Fallbrook Neighbor   June 7, 2016 at 11:07 am

There was never any boycott organized against the course, as reported at the end of the VN article. The owner’s decisions simply drove customers away.

The men’s and women’s clubs hung in there until conditions were so poor it took a hammer to set a tee in the ground. Sadly, the owner made no attempt to get them to stay.

It got so bad I would bring snacks with me when I went to the bar because one never knew if the restaurant would be open or not. The final straw was a Saturday night mid-January. There was no food, no staff. Half a dozen regulars attempted to chat on the back patio while a pair of drunks held a conversation over our heads, yelling at each other from a distance of 20 feet. The manager ignored them while he sat by the fire pit commenting on how badly he needed a nap. I swore I would no longer give this business my hard-earned money since there are far better businesses in town that work hard to keep their customers happy. THEY deserve our support!

But, silly me, I gave the course one more try in March when a friend was visiting from Mendocino. We both had to send our undercooked (and dangerous) food back to the kitchen. And that was my last time at Fallbrook Golf Course.

It’s pretty simple. No breakfast, no food, no beer, no staff, no water, no grass = no greens, no golf, no customers, no cash.

I look forward to financially supporting the new owner and hope they buy the course as quickly as possible!

Lighting a candle, saying a prayer in Fallbrook!

15. Dusty   June 10, 2016 at 10:10 am

Rumor has it that a couple of offers will be formally submitted today. We will see. The saga continues…

16. Richard P   June 13, 2016 at 2:02 pm

This course was a gem when we moved here 6 years ago but in the words of the late Bette Davis ” What a dump ! “. With a little bit of care and proper management this place could be a profitable operation. Hoping for the best…

17. Pingback: Golf Course History – Save Fallbrook Golf Course and beautiful Gird Valley

18. Dusty   June 24, 2016 at 4:04 pm

It’s been almost 3 weeks since this story was published….where’s the offer?

19. Don   June 25, 2016 at 9:08 am

I played golf this week at Menifee Lakes and met the new management staff that recently took over operations there. They shared with me that the word in the golf industry is Lamberson has not sold Fallbrook Golf Club but has inked a deal with a well known management company to take over the entire operation including food and beverage. I have not been able to confirm this however it sounds feasible and I wanted to share it with my Fallbrook neighbors. It sounds encouraging and I am waiting to see the sprinklers turned back on and see some serious maintenance crews out on the fairways.

20. Dusty   June 26, 2016 at 7:32 am

The greens are no longer being watered, no more sounds of maintenance being done in the morning….Jack has closed the course, with some vague reference to “New Management”, but there’s nobody to be found.

Why is it so hard for this to change hands without it just continuing to degrade, and fall apart? Why the secrecy about new ownership?