Loud explosions to be heard from Camp Pendleton this weekend

CAMP PENDLETON – Loud booms may be heard around North County this weekend due to mine clearing line charge exercises at Camp Pendleton, base officials announced today.

The exercises are scheduled to take place from 6 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, according to Camp Pendleton’s public affairs office.

A mine clearing line charge involves 1,750 pounds of linked C-4 explosive being used to create a breach in minefields under combat conditions.

”Depending on atmospheric conditions, the sound of the explosions may be amplified and heard up to 50 miles away,” a base statement read.

Anyone with questions about the noise level can call base officials at (760) 725-0357.

11 Responses to "Loud explosions to be heard from Camp Pendleton this weekend"

1. observant   February 18, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Okay, that explains why they are louder than the ones I grew up with.

Here’s some video:

2. samjones   February 18, 2012 at 8:45 pm

HELLO! Shouldn’t you have announced the bombing that went on 3 weeks ago and shook the crud out of my house? You people are so out of touch!

3. De Luz Neighbor   February 20, 2012 at 1:28 am

Cool link Observant…thanks.

4. sdp   February 20, 2012 at 11:36 am

I’m so sick of their early morning activities epecially on weekends. I work long hours and like to catch up on sleep on weekends. But these guys think it’s a great idea to create loud explosions at 6AM on a Saturday. Then you hear nothing for the rest of the day. Absolute BS.

5. Long time resident   February 20, 2012 at 7:53 pm

@sdp…..perhaps you would like to do their jobs…I’m sure most ~ if not all ~ would like to be home catching up on there sleep on the weekends. And I’m pretty sure most of them " work long hours " as well !
    And , no , I am NOT a Marine, Marine wife or any way related to a Marine…..just a 15 + resident of Fallbrook that doesn’t even notice the noise any more….

6. Sound of FREEDOM!   February 20, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I’m not in the military. Not associated with Camp Pendleton at all. No affiliation with any military organization. To the complainers… GET OVER YOURSELF!!! I doubt very seriously that you were here before the marines. If you don’t like it the you shouldn’t have moved so dang close to an ACTIVE Marine base.

The big ‘thumps’ from the base are a lot easier to listen too than the little spoiled bratty ‘boo-hoo’ from you!

7. momz   February 21, 2012 at 9:07 am

I agree with " Long Time and Freedom". I reither here them practicing then hearing sounds of crying. Boom, Boom let Freedom be heard!

8. sdp   February 21, 2012 at 10:27 am

You forgot to wave the flag with your grandstanding. LOL

I’m actually a 42 year resident of this area and am totally accustomed to the bombing/artillery fire. I never said the sound of the training bothered me in general. I specifically said that 6AM bombing is BS.. SO get off your high horse and preach to someone else.

9. Me   February 21, 2012 at 7:45 pm

sdp

Well said. Your point went over their heads……

10. Freedom   February 21, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I didn’t forget to wave the flag. You just couldn’t see it through those puckered-up cry-baby tears.

11. sdp   February 21, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Keep on waving buddy…. Ooh Rah!!!!

Like I said, they can bomb AAAALLLLL day long, but that doesn’t change that fact that bombing at 6AM is totally unnecessary. Does training at 6AM enhance their skills as opposed to 10AM or or even 5PM? I understand the difference with nighttime training.

So keep on waving and shouting because it obviously clouds common sense and the ability for normal discourse without childish retorts while wrapping oneself in "patriotic" rhetoric.