Man killed, five injured in early morning south I-15 accident in Fallbrook

FALLBROOK – A 32-year-old Chula Vista man was killed in an early morning traffic crash in Fallbrook today that sent five others to a hospital, the California Highway Patrol said.

Alcohol containers were found within and around the spun-out vehicle, which had been struck by a second vehicle, the Medical Examiner’s Office reported.

The Chula Vista man was driving a 2000 Honda Civic with four passengers south on Interstate 15, south of Mission Road, about 3:50 a.m. at a high rate of speed, according to CHP Officer Jim Bettencourt.

The driver veered to the left for an unknown reason and struck the center divider. The car came to a stop facing east in the left southbound lane, Bettencourt said.

The car’s three backseat passengers got out and made their way to the center divider, while the driver and front seat passenger remained in the wrecked Civic, Bettencourt said.

Moments later, a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo driven by a 51-year-old Redlands man, also heading south, struck the disabled Civic’s driver side door, Bettencourt said.

The Civic’s driver was killed on impact and the front seat passenger as well as the Isuzu’s driver sustained major injuries, Bettencourt said. The Civic’s driver was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office, which did not immediately release the man’s name.

Escondido police officers came upon the wreck and called for ambulances and CHP officers.

The Isuzu’s driver and the Civic’s front seat passenger were taken to a hospital to be treated for major injuries along with the three backseat passengers, who were not seriously injured, Bettencourt said.

Bettencourt said the Medical Examiner’s Office would determine if the driver who was killed had been under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash.

Conditions were foggy at the time, and the roadway was left littered with crash debris, CHP officers said.

All lanes were closed on the southbound freeway at Mission Road, where traffic was diverted off and then back onto the route. All debris was removed, the investigation was completed, and the freeway was reopened at 8:13.

25 Responses to "Man killed, five injured in early morning south I-15 accident in Fallbrook"

1. Jason   May 13, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I drove past the accident this morning and as soon as I saw the vehicle I knew someone had to have lost their life. So sad it happened on such a joyous day like mothers day. My heart goes out to his family expecially his mother. God bless you all.

2. tragic   May 13, 2012 at 10:36 pm

he was a good friend of mine my heart is breaking

3. So sad   May 14, 2012 at 7:53 am

RIP. I’m glad there aren’t the regular ignorant judgemental comments on here. Someone lost their life; pray for the families involved.

4. Yadira   May 14, 2012 at 8:43 am

May you rest in peace Richard (Brother-In-Law) you will be forever be in all your family & friends heart!! You are gone but will never forgotten :(

5. Piola   May 14, 2012 at 10:06 am

Bless all those that lost their lives or were injured. After mothers day?? I hope that their wasn’t a mother involved in this incident or will have to claim a dead/ injured son.

Also, early morning, alcohol, high rate of speed, and chula vista resident isn’t a good mix. God Bless all those involved.

6. Redlands friends   May 14, 2012 at 5:32 pm

The Izusu’s driver was on his way down to a San Diego hospital, where his son was just admitted for a tragic fall from a SDSU dorm room…can anything get worse? Our hearts are broken in Redlands.

7. Me   May 14, 2012 at 9:21 pm

The Redlands man was driving to his son a victim of a tragic accident in San Diego. Another stupid alcohol related death!

8. Ray (the real one)   May 15, 2012 at 4:56 am

Why do we constantly show compassion for defectoids? He was drunk, he knew it, chose to get in the car, drive at a high rate of speed, cause an accident and get killed. If anything, I feel sorry for the other law abiding innocent drivers that were involved. We need to show anger instead of compassion for unacceptable behavior in society and not to honor these morons who put the rest of us in danger due to their reckless actions. Maybe he is where he should be, glad nobody else innnocent went with him.

9. James   May 15, 2012 at 8:52 am

It is not our place to judge Ray, God will take care of that. In the mean time, a person’s death is affecting many people who loved him. Show some compassion; friends and family members don’t want to read your callous comments.

10. Ray (the real one)   May 15, 2012 at 9:50 am

James: It is our place to judge in our society, jury of your peers. God who?

11. James   May 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm

It is NOT our place to judge. I’m sorry you don’t know GOd; I will pray for you my friend.

12. Ray (the real one)   May 15, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Sorry James, I believe in the laws of man. And if I happened to get involved in an accident with this guy, I’d b-slap him. There is no excuse for reckless behavior that jeopardizes innocent people.

What is wrong with you people? What if you were injured or killed by this individual? COME ON!

13. Mike   May 15, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Nice job, Ray. A man is dead and you need to make it about yourself.

14. EShahows   May 15, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I think Ray needs to take some anger management classes or ? anger is only fuel to the Fire. May the one killed Rest in Peace.

15. carlos   May 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm

i hope the person that is judging this man that died in an alchol related death, realizes that he is just hurting the mans family. just thank god that your still alive. thank him to, that, god himself doesnt come down and rip you tounge out for talkkin smack

16. Ray (the real one)   May 15, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Why should I take anger classes or worry about the man’s family. Would they take the same for the people their son killed? Did I make it about myself as Mike says? where did I make stupid behavior of an individual about myself? I have NEVER been charged with an alcohol related offense nor have I ever been in an “at fault” accident. My last traffic citation was during the second year of the second term of the Clinton administration. Sorry if I feel no compassion for the defective, but let’s face the facts, people (innocent) die because of others in society.

Let’s not “soft soap” it, he’s where he belongs. My only concern is that he didn’t take others with him.

Maybe a tad bit of shame might help the family.

17. Pink   May 15, 2012 at 3:53 pm

@James: Ray doesn’t have compassion because he doesn’t have God. While I agree that the man who died was extremely foolish to drink and drive, especially at a high rate of speed, I still am able to find compassion in my heart for his family at this time. I too am glad that the innocent driver who hit him wasn’t killed. While it is easy to be angry with someone who makes a fatal mistake and causes others harm, we must also realize that he paid the ultimate price. My heartfelt prayers go out to his loved ones.

18. Pessimistic   May 15, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Although I can have some empathy for the survivors of the deceased; and even more so for the victims in this case, I concur with Ray.

19. How ironic   May 15, 2012 at 11:52 pm

The only person who agrees with Ray’s cold outlook on life signs his name pessimistic. I feel sorry for people who are so jaded that they don’t even know how emotionally unintelligent they are.

20. tragedy;(   May 16, 2012 at 1:11 am

I was driving when the man in the Isuzu passed me..n seconds later I saw him hanging out of his truck…I felt so sad.it could’ve been us….we pulled over to help..the guy in the truck was begging for help…n one of the guys from Honda was lying on the ground…we knew he was dead…our hearts were broken…but the only thing I am mad n sad about is…if the man that was driving the Honda was drunk….then why let him drive…why were ther 4 passengers with him n they let him drive…all I can say is God have mercy on all these people involved..n comfort the family for their loss..and thank God it wasn’t us that hit them first..I’m am deeply sorry for the familys loss….people show some respect as if it were your loss…this is not Facebook.

21. GRUNT   May 16, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I have to agree (to a point) with Ray; it is the drunk drivers fault – his actions and his choice that he is dead. Why should I have compassion for him? I am sorry for his family that he made th ewrong choice. Do I need to feel compasion for the druggy who kills himself with an overdose?

22. Ray (the real one)   May 17, 2012 at 2:21 pm

actually Pessimistic does not agree with me on MOST issues, he is my biggest critic, but I do acknowledge when we see eye to eye on an issue.

23. stefanii   May 17, 2012 at 11:07 pm

all i have to say is R.I.P Richard u wer a good person always happy and laughing…this guy ray said he would of b- slappd u…haha ya doubt he would of… u wer a cool person and my brother loved u like a real brother…May u rest in peace its hard for me to even believe all dis..i can imagine ur mom…i didnt go to ur funeral but my mom and sis wer der..u kno we loved u and had a fun time when u came to visit us in AZ….and after im done with dis i still wont belive it…let ppl talk dats all dey can do specially when dey didnt kno u…..

24. stefanii   May 17, 2012 at 11:13 pm

and if only i knew da reason he didnt get out of his car like da others..cuz it was a 2door car da other got out but he didnt wow crazzy how things happen in dis lifee..

25. cuzen   July 10, 2012 at 12:19 pm

i steal cant bilif this he was a great man he had a lot more to go… i miss u richard and i will always kepp u in mide …..love you whit all my hart