Man sentenced to death for murdering French Valley Marine Sergeant and wife

RIVERSIDE – A death sentence was handed down today for a Marine lance corporal who helped kill a sergeant and sexually assaulted and killed the man’s bride of two months during a home invasion robbery at the couple’s French Valley residence.

Tyrone Lloyd Miller, 25, was convicted last month, along with two co-defendants, of the Oct. 15, 2008, slayings of 24-year-old Janek Pietrzak and his 26-year-old wife, Quiana Faye Jenkins-Pietrzak.

Riverside County Superior Court Judge Christian Thierbach upheld the eight-man, four-woman jury’s recommendation that Miller be sent to death row.

”This individual has no soul,” said Henryka Varga, mother of Janek Pietrzak, during the sentencing hearing. ”He savagely murdered our beautiful children. He killed me, as well.”

”I want them back. I want my life back,” said Varga, a native of Poland. ”I used to think I was living the American dream. But I am living the American nightmare.”

Varga told the judge that Miller had taken everything from her son and his bride — the possibility of living a long life together, finishing their education, excelling in their respective fields, having children, even dying with dignity.

”Death is supposed to be sacred. It’s very important. He robbed them of that, too,” she said.

Varga and Jenkins-Pietrzak’s mother both told the court that they relive their children’s last moments every day.

”My lights went out when I lost my only child,” Glenda Faye Jenkins said tearfully. ”She was a little angel. I am a human body that’s a shell now. I walk and talk with an empty heart. I keep thinking, ‘What was Quiana’s crime?’ She and Janek didn’t deserve to die like this — put down like wounded animals. Now they’re buried in the ground with no food, no water. The ones who did this should experience the same thing.”

Sentencing is scheduled Aug. 19 for Miller’s co-defendants, 25-year-old Kevin Darnell Cox and 23-year-old Emrys Justin John. Jurors have recommended life in prison without parole for Cox and death for John.

The trial of another co-defendant and fellow Camp Pendleton-based Marine, 25-year-old Kesaun Kedron Sykes, is expected to get underway soon after.

Miller, Cox and John were convicted June 5 of first-degree murder, and jurors found true special circumstance allegations of multiple murders and that the killings occurred in the course of a robbery and a burglary. Jurors also convicted Miller of sexual assault. The men’s penalty trials concluded less than two weeks later.

According to Deputy District Attorney Dan DeLimon, the four Marines wanted to get inside the Pietrzaks’ two-story house at 31319 Bermuda Ave. to steal their belongings — but also to indulge in a power trip.

”This was about … taking pleasure in the sexual humiliation of a woman and tormenting her husband by making him watch,” DeLimon said.

Miller testified that he was displeased with Pietrzak because he had told him only a day or two earlier that his chances of being promoted to corporal were nil.

The defendants later told sheriff’s investigators that they were mainly interested in the ”stuff” they might be able steal from the victims, who had received numerous gifts at their wedding just two months earlier.

Cox rang the doorbell twice shortly after 1 a.m., and Pietrzak came downstairs, deactivated his house alarm and opened the front door. The three defendants, armed with shotguns, beat the young sergeant into submission.

The victims were bound and gagged and thrown face-down on a sofa. After spending 90 minutes ransacking the house and hauling stolen goods to a vehicle parked outside, Miller and Sykes stripped Quiana and violated her sexually, according to the prosecution. John shot the couple execution-style with a 9mm handgun.

The couple had been married 68 days.

Quiana was completing a master’s degree in public health administration. Janek was considering applying for Marine Corps officer candidate school or pursuing a graduate degree in business.

”’My goals for the next four years: Read 10 books a year, learn to sail, improve my vocabulary, stop swearing and excel at everything I do,”’ Varga said, reading from a list of objectives her son had disclosed to her in a letter sent in March 2008.

”He also wanted to own a house, provide well for his wife and begin raising a family,” she said. ”He would have accomplished this.”

The defendants and Pietrzak served in a helicopter maintenance squadron at Camp Pendleton.

24 Responses to "Man sentenced to death for murdering French Valley Marine Sergeant and wife"

1. Dan   July 19, 2013 at 9:58 am

Thank God these *****’s didn’t get off easy. They all deserve a slow and agonizing death. I served with Jan. He was a good Marine.

2. FR86   July 19, 2013 at 11:03 am

Would these creeps be subject to military code of justice since they murdered an active duty Marine and his wife?

Anybody know?

Thanks

FR86

3. Lee   July 19, 2013 at 11:18 am

Immoral behavior breeds immoral behavior.

4. FR 86   July 19, 2013 at 11:31 am

What did Sergeant Pietrzak do that was immoral?

5. @Lee   July 19, 2013 at 11:33 am

Yep Lee you are probably right. I would imagine that these criminals were badly brought up. Poor parenting is obviously the culprit.

6. Justice is served   July 19, 2013 at 12:21 pm

No amount of justice will bring back this lovely couple. I think that the parents of them will recieve a little bit of justice knowing these dirtbags will either be put to death or spend the rest of their lives in prison, and ultimately burning in hell. RIP Mr. and Mrs Pietrzak. This crime makes me want to throw up.

7. grunt   July 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm

@Lee – then I am waiting for immoral behavior to strike you down. As @lee said – "what immoral behavior?" The only thing I can think that you are referencing is the interracial marraige – if so you are one sick person to think that that is worthy of being brutally raped and killed. Or was it the fact he was a Marine?

8. Pink   July 19, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Well we already know from previous posts that Lee is homophobic, perhaps he views inter racial marriage as immoral as well??

9. Pastor Robert   July 20, 2013 at 10:27 am

I pray the families of all concerned are strengthend to move on to closure, And that the men that did this find forgiveness from all. Totally wrong action on their part.

10. May B Wright   July 20, 2013 at 11:22 am

This case didn’t get any big media attention. These four pieces of scumb will get to sit in a cell and I bet Obama wont even make a mention of it. I believe that they can never die fast enough to ever pay for the sickness that lives in them.

11. California Justice is a joke   July 20, 2013 at 3:09 pm

May B Wright is right. FYI, the California justice system is so incompetent and corrupted, each of these scum bags will cost us taxpayers at least a million dollars more in court costs and $100,000 per year in incarceration costs. They will most likely die of old age in 60 years or so and cost us all a total of around $30 million. I ask you, who is really getting punished here? Why is it Obama can send a drone out and kill four US citizens that have never been convicted of anything and none of his supports will say a word, yet we have to live with this kind of injustice?

12. Preston   July 21, 2013 at 8:02 am

@California Justice is a joke
    Who do you blame for this absurd system of justice?

13. grunt   July 21, 2013 at 3:47 pm

@FR86, yes the USMC could have charged him; it has happened in the past for example a case of statutory rape that Oceanside would not charge – the victim was a military dependent, but I do not think that matters, as DWI in town will result in punishment on base as well.

14. Carla   July 22, 2013 at 1:46 am

@8: Pink, I don’t look at the VN on a daily basis so perhaps I’ve missed something but what did Lee post that was homophobic?

15. Pink   July 22, 2013 at 9:41 am

He had a tirade with Bonsall Gay Guy about 3 or 4 months ago. Check the archives when you get a chance. BGG, if you are reading this, please post the link again, I know that you posted it a couple of weeks ago.

16. @Lee   July 22, 2013 at 10:59 am

The military ‘guns’ killed NAZI GERMANY – who wanted to control the world…we would have been governed by Nazi’s –

Thank goodness there was money spent on military defense!! But do not kid yourself….President Obama has spent no money on defense. The United States is crumbling within since 2008…

17. THIS TIME 4Lee!   July 22, 2013 at 11:54 am

You misunderstood, I think Lee was speaking of the immoral behavior of the murderer, rapist and act of violence – not at the couple themselves.

18. Carla   July 22, 2013 at 2:09 pm

@16. According to you the President "has spent no money on defense". Are all right wing militarists as ill informed as you?

Regrettably, this president continues to spend hand over fist on the military. In fact, under this administration’s several budgets, military appropriations have RISEN considerably. The major difference between this President and the subcretin that preceded him is President Obama’s reluctance to use warfare as the preferred first option in international relations. Bush, Cheney and Rice should be before a War Crimes Tribunal in the Hague!!!!

Oh BTW-If you’re at all interested in facts (doubtful I know) feel free to read this:

19. Carla   July 22, 2013 at 2:17 pm

@Pink. Ummm…..How do I check archives on this site?
    @Lee. Do you have anything to say about this?

20. Carla   July 22, 2013 at 2:28 pm

@Pink, Lee. I Googled ‘Village News’, ‘Lee’, ‘Bonsall Gay Guy’ and found this from March 27, 2013. Is this what you’re talking about? Lee, these aren’t your comments are they?

21. Pink   July 22, 2013 at 3:01 pm

@Carla: How many people calling themselves "Lee" comment on the VN thread? Both Bonsall Gay, myself, and others, have made a point of asking Lee if these comments were indeed made by him, and he has never bothered to reply. That tells me that they were made by him, because I can assure you that if someone made comments completely counter to my beliefs, and used my name, or in this case, nom de plume, I would let people know, in no uncertain terms, that it wasn’t I who made them. At this point, even if Lee were to suddenly decide to deny he made them, I wouldn’t believe him. It would be a case of too little too late.

22. BonsallGayGuy   July 28, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I’m guess I’m late to the party. LOL!

23. BonsallGayGuy   July 28, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Regarding #19. You don’t have to do an internet wide search. In the upper right hand corner of each Village News web page there’s a small box that contains the words "Search Site…". This is generally a much faster way to locate articles, old comment histories, advertisers etc. specific to this publication. Why waste time wading through the entire world-wide web?

24. Pink   July 29, 2013 at 8:54 am

It’s okay BGG. I think Carla has probably read Lee’s comment under "State Supreme Court denies bid to halt same sex weddings" at least I hope she has.