Man who eluded deputies Aug. 16 still at large

The man named in a felony warrant who was pursued by Sheriff’s deputies through Fallbrook Aug. 16 was still at large as of noon Aug. 29, according Sgt. Patrick Yates of the Fallbrook substation.

Deputies from the Fallbrook substation responded to a request to assist another agency in tracking down Jerrad Matthew Reed shortly after noon Aug. 16. The search led them to a storm ditch near Fallbrook Street and Main Avenue and later to the 700 block of Old Stage Road, where they spotted Reed.

Reed, known for being very elusive, ran upon being seen and made his way onto the roof of a duplex. He then jumped across several roofs and escaped capture despite deputies setting up a perimeter around the area, conducting house to house searches, employing canines and the ASTREA helicopter.

“We’re very familiar with him,” said Yates during a recent community forum meeting when asked about the suspect. “He’s very, very slippery. He’s one of the best – for lack of a better word – in getting away. He’s ruthless in his escape attempts. He will jump off a two-story building. He will go into extremely thick brush with thorns everywhere and it doesn’t seem to bother him.”

According to a San Diego County Sheriff’s Department information sheet, Reed, 32, is described as Native American, 6 feet tall, 180 pounds, and has a shaved head and a ponytail. Anyone who sees him or knows his whereabouts is urged to call 911.

5 Responses to "Man who eluded deputies Aug. 16 still at large"

  1. Belinda Zamacona   September 5, 2017 at 8:43 am

    I’m really disappointed that the Village News didn’t approve a comment on a previous story about this man. He broke into my friend’s home, and her mother came home to discover him hiding in their garage. In her comment, she brought up the Sheriff’s department neglecting to tell the residents of their neighborhood that they were actively searching for him that morning. So much so that the leasing office actual gave the Sheriff’s department KEYS to her home to search for the man. Fallbrook residents deserve to know how poorly managed this entire situation has been, and deserve open and honest comments from the public. Not a highly monitored censured news outlet.

    • Kim Harris   September 5, 2017 at 8:47 am

      Hi Belinda, I am not sure why the comment was not approved and we are looking into this. Unless the comment was riddled with profanity or links to unsafe sites, it should have been approved. If you know the name of the poster that would be helpful as I am not finding anything in Spam, Trash, or To Be Approved folders for this story. Thanks for your patience while we look into this matter. KH

    • Lee   September 8, 2017 at 6:30 am

      @ Belinda Zamacona

      Welcome to The Village News, my dear, where censorship runs rampant and freedom of speech only exists if it fits in with The VN’s ideological point of view.

      Undoubtedly, because this very comment does not include profanity nor a link to an unsafe site, it will be published. We’re about to find out.

      • Kim Harris   September 8, 2017 at 10:02 am

        Approved! Thanks for sharing your opinion Lee! KH

  2. Sue Permanne   September 12, 2017 at 6:50 pm

    Haha Lee, I definitely agree with you on this one for sure. Comments are always censored, especially if anyone dares to comment about the Sheriffs Department mismanaging any given situation. I find it incredible that the suspect eluded the helicopters while leaping from rooftop to rooftop. Especially since there aren’t any homes that close together. This guy must be like Superman or something to leap that far. And house to house searches without a warrant? I bet that went over like a lead balloon to homeowners. But hey, as long as the Sheriffs Department can use whatever excuse they feel like to intrude on anyone’s home despite not having any probable cause or proof, they will continue to trample on people’s rights.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.