SAN ONOFRE – A man, a woman and their two dogs were killed as their pickup truck hit a pole and exploded on Interstate 5 at the San Onofre truck weigh station, a California Highway Patrol officer said today.

The driver was spotted inside the wreckage yelling for help, but was unable to get the door open before the truck burst into flames, according to CHP Officer Jim Bettencourt. The male driver and female passenger died at the scene.

They had been headed south on the freeway in a silver Chevy Silverado at an unknown speed about 10:40 p.m. Saturday, March 2.

A witness who was changing a tire on the roadside reported seeing the pickup truck strike a pole and explode, Bettencourt said. The pole supports a scanner that allows certain commercial vehicles to bypass the scales.

“Due to the severity of the fire and the vehicle damage, positive identification is not known at this time,” Bettencourt said in a statement.

Two dogs also died, he said.

Camp Pendleton firefighters responded, the CHP officer said. Three of the four freeway lanes were blocked for 1-1/2 hours.

The crash remains under investigation, Bettencourt said, and it was not yet known if alcohol or drugs were a factor in the crash.

(previous story)

Fiery crash on Interstate 5 near Camp Pendleton claims at least one life

OCEANSIDE – At least one person was killed in a fiery crash when a vehicle hit a pole on Interstate 5 Freeway north of the Border Patrol Checkpoint in Oceanside and burst into flames, the California Highway Patrol said today.

The crash occurred at 10:41 p.m. Saturday, March 2, according to a CHP statement.

A witness reported seeing a white pickup truck strike a light pole and explode, southbound on the San Diego Freeway, the CHP said.

“U.S. Border Patrol agents advised they didn’t see anyone get out of the vehicle,” the CHP said. “Vehicle is fully engulfed.”

The truck reportedly also hit a device used to measure semi-tractors when they are weighed, according to the statement.

Camp Pendleton firefighters responded, the CHP said.

Three of the four freeway lanes were blocked for 1 1/2 hours and lanes 3 and 4 remained closed as of 12:19 a.m.

8 Responses to "Man, woman and their two dogs perish in fiery crash on Interstate 5 near Camp Pendleton"

1. April   March 3, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Actually a man, woman and 2 dogs died. The witness heard the man yelling for help before the entire truck caught fire. They couldn’t get out.

2. A 53 yr old Grandma   March 4, 2013 at 12:50 am

This is a horribly sad sad story. Only those two will ever know why they hit that pole causing the fire and ultimately their deaths.
    RIP to the man, the woman and their two doggies. No one should die like this and to families and friends it is when you are the weakest that your God carries you, holds you while the tears of anger and sorrow overwhelm you.

3. Jackie   March 4, 2013 at 1:45 pm

What a tragedy! I got goose bumps just reading this article! I have alot of faith but I fail to understand sometimes accidents like this, such a painful and heartbreaking way for this couple and dogs to die! May God be with their families and welcome them home with him!

4. Cherry   March 5, 2013 at 1:44 pm

God bless these two people and their dogs, I was just informed that they lived in my apartment complex. It really hits home and reminds us all to be happy and try your best to just live in the moment because you don’t know when it will be over. The young man was in the marine corps. Both of them were in there late twenties, I am pretty sure and I know his dad is own his way from Texas to get his belongings. Its so sad! GOD BLESS THEM AND THEIR FAMILIES!

5. Patrick   March 5, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I went to high school with the woman. This is such a sad day she was such a good person

6. Neighbor   March 5, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I knew this couple, but not very well. They lived across from us in our apartment complex. We would talk when we had our dogs out together. My prayers go out to their family and friends. The news of this tragedy has been devastating and unbelievable. I think that everyone that has met them are all feeling some pain of the tragic loss of these two young people and their furbabies they loved so much:'( Rest in Peace my friends…….

7. Don   March 11, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I know the father of this young man he lives in plano my prayers go out to him and his family so sorry james call me if theres any thing i can do

8. Federico   March 12, 2013 at 6:30 pm