VISTA – A Menifee man who was under the influence of marijuana when he caused a head-on crash that killed a 53-year-old Oceanside woman two days before Christmas pleaded guilty today to felony charges of vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated and DUI causing injury.

Jonathon David Roberts, 22, will be sentenced to five years and eight months in state prison at a hearing May 23 at the Vista Courthouse. As part of his plea, Roberts also admitted an allegation that he caused bodily injury to a separate victim.

Roberts was in a 1997 Dodge Ram pickup headed west on state Route 76 when he drifted into the path of eastbound traffic near Via Monserate in Bonsall about 3:20 p.m. Dec. 23, according to California Highway Patrol Officer Jim Bettencourt.

According to the CHP, the defendant’s pickup crashed head on into a 2010 Honda Fit being driven by Socorro Aguirre-Reynosa.

Aguirre-Reynosa died at the scene, and three passengers in the vehicle she was driving — a man, a 13-year-old boy and a 30-year-old woman — suffered minor to moderate injuries.

The Medical Examiner’s Office identified the passengers as Aguirre- Reynosa’s husband, daughter and grandson. All three were taken to Palomar Medical Center.

A 2004 BMW 328i heading east directly behind the Honda Fit also was involved in the accident, going down an embankment, leaving the Carlsbad woman behind the wheel with moderate injuries, Bettencourt said.

The woman was taken to Palomar Medical Center, along with Roberts, who suffered minor injuries.

Bettencourt said a large amount of marijuana was found inside Mr. Roberts vehicle and authorities believed he was under the influence of drugs at the time of the crash.

A witness said that in the moments leading up to the crash, Roberts was crossing over a double-yellow line and swerving ”all over the road,” according to Bettencourt.

13 Responses to "Menifee man pleads guilty to vehicular manslaughter for killing Oceanside woman in head-on crash in Bonsall"

1. A.H.   March 28, 2013 at 11:48 pm

5 years 8 months for murder, intoxication and possession of a large amount of weed!? Just sickens me the short period of time for a life taken.

2. shocked   March 29, 2013 at 12:58 am

This foolish young man caused the death of this woman and injury to others while driving under the influence of marijuana and he’s getting only 5 years??

How is that justice?

3. Justice   March 29, 2013 at 7:39 am

We don’t want to over crowd our prison system with non violent criminals. Heaven forbid they should be uncomfortable during their stay!!!

4. Preston   March 29, 2013 at 8:30 am

@ 1 & 2
    The people have prescribed the action the justice system can take. He will probably not serve half that 5 years because we do not want to pay the cost to keep him locked up.
    We are sickened by our justice system until asked to pay. Perhaps we need to reconsider the free ride including medical etc.

5. Fallbrook resident   March 29, 2013 at 8:54 am

This is such a sad story that will affect the lives of so many for years to come. I understand this young man made a very foolish decision by driving while impaired but I believe he deserves a second chance. 68 months in prison is plenty of time for him to think about the consequences of his actions, repent and change his life around. A life was lost because of his stupidity and he will have to live with that for the rest of his life. I had a very similar situation happen to me and fortunately in my story nobody was killed, although someone very well could have been. I was young and foolish and made a poor decision and paid for it. It was a humbling experience that gave me a whole new outlook on life. People make mistakes and they can learn from those mistakes and have a positive impact on the world; I know I did.

Matthew 6:14-15
    For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

6. grunt   March 29, 2013 at 9:58 am

Preston, again, is correct – our (CA) prisons cost so much more than any other state – starting with guards saleies (thank you, unions), benifits to prisoners – i.e. sex changes (thank you ACLU), and making sure they are not "overcrowed" (thank you 9th Circuit Court).

7. MJ   March 29, 2013 at 10:16 am

Just because someone has pot in their car does not mean they’re stoned, and good luck proving in court that someone is impaired by Marijuana. The guy and his lawyer obviously cooperated to allow that ‘fact’ to be part of the conclusion. I’m sure he feels terrible, and I can’t imagine how the families feel.

8. Book of Revelations   March 29, 2013 at 11:33 am

Good point Fallbrook resident. There are NO winners in this story.

9. FDA   March 29, 2013 at 1:37 pm

MJ,

It’s not that hard to know if someone is stoned or not. The cops reported to the scene of the accident where they probably figured it out pretty quickly.

10. DMM   March 29, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I agree Book of Revelations. There are no winners. Pray for all parties involved. Our ultimate life is with that of our Heavenly Father. That is for eternity.

11. resident   March 29, 2013 at 6:54 pm

@6 California prisoners have never obtained the benefit of a state paid for sex change operation. Where did you get your info. Either cite a source or it never happened

12. nosympathysorry   March 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Dude, I am kind of shocked this guy had the gutts to drive while stoned. Most stoners know better and stay at home. Secondly, if he was also drunk- (which was probably the mitigating factor that caused the accident) then that’s just plain idiotic to be plowed and stoned, then get behind the wheel. C’mon, the guy isn’t some young teenager, he’s a grown a.. man at 22 freaking years old.

And sorry, it’s really difficult for me to feel pity for somebody that careless, irresponsible, and wasted. Teenager boys know better than to drive drunk after a rager. And yes, I am sure this young man does feel awful about this, at least I hope he does.

It’s never freaking worth it, to get behind the wheel of a potentially dangerous and deadly weapon- your vehicle. Call a cab, a friend, or even me. After my three family members were killed by a drunk driver, I became the (Designated Driver/Key Stealer/Cab Caller/Walk with “drunk” from the bar to their home/Asked cops to patrol for drunk drivers) Instead of arresting responsible “drunks” WALKING HOME from the bar, instead of DRIVING DRUNK AND KILLING SOMEBODY> Oh and don’t ride a bike if you are wasted either, because you can still get a DUI, it’s considered a “moving vehicle”, even though it’s unlikely to killed by a DUI Bicyclist.

Call me for a “Safe Ride” or “Walk Home” if you are too drunk to drive. I would take a “drunk in public” a lot easier than a Vehicular Homicide/FATAL DUI CRASH. If for some reason, I am unavailable- I will send another Designated Sober Person to come get your drunk a…

13. grunt   March 30, 2013 at 9:14 pm

resident, I stand corrected, I thought an individual named stevens received the sex change, i was incorrect, only the hormones.