A Fallbrook man died on July 3 shortly after causing a collision that left two children and another driver injured.

At approximately 12:40 p.m., 48-year-old Fallbrook resident Ramon Varela was driving his 1994 Toyota Paseo northbound on Main Avenue in Fallbrook, with two child passengers, ages 2 and 5, when he drifted into the southbound lane near the College Street intersection and struck a 1994 Toyota Camry being driven by 28-year-old Jose Mendez-Garnica of Fallbrook.

“Mr. Mendez-Garnica observed the Toyota Paseo enter his lane, but was unable to avoid a collision,” said Chris Parent, public information officer for the California Highway Patrol (CHP).

After the Paseo struck the Camry, the Camry struck another Camry, a 1999 model parked along the west edge of the roadway.

“Mendez-Garnica was transported to Palomar Regional Medical Center with abrasions to his arm and complaint of pain to his stomach,” said Parent. “[Varela] was transported to Fallbrook Hospital where he succumbed to medical issues not related to the traffic collision.”

“The driver of the Toyota Paseo is suspected of driving under the influence of drugs,” said Parent.

The medical examiner’s office stated that the cause of death was blunt force injury of torso, with the contributing conditions of pulmonary emphysema and methamphetamine intoxication.

The child passengers of the Toyota Paseo were transported to Palomar Regional Medical Center with minor injuries. Traffic lanes were shut down for approximately two hours during the course of the investigation, the CHP reported.

previous story

Collision at Main/College intersection results in injuries to children, another driver; suspected DUI driver dies shortly after

A suspected DUI driver died today shortly after causing a collision that left two children and another driver injured.

At approximately 12:40 p.m., a 48-year-old Fallbrook man was driving his 1994 Toyota Paseo northbound on Main Avenue in Fallbrook, with two child passengers, ages 2 and 5, when he drifted into the southbound lane near the College Street intersection and struck a 1994 Toyota Camry being driven by 28-year-old Jose Mendez-Garnica of Fallbrook.

“Mendez-Garnica was transported to Palomar Regional Medical Center with abrasions to his arm and complaint of pain to his stomach,” said Parent. “The driver of the Toyota Paseo was transported to Fallbrook Hospital where he succumbed to medical issues not related to the traffic collision.”

(previous story, July 3, 2011, 3:01 p.m.)

Andrea Verdin

Staff Writer

An auto collision at the intersection of Main and College Avenue resulted in a fatality, according to North County Fire officials.

According to CHP officer Chris Parent, a 48-year-old male was driving a 1995 Toyota Paseo northbound on Main Avenue with two passengers – a 5 and 2-year-old in the vehicle when he veered into oncoming traffic at the intersection of College Avenue at approximately 12:45 p.m. today, Sunday, July 3, and struck a 1996 Toyota Camry, being driven by Jose Mendez.

Mendez and the children were transported to Palomar Hospital. The children suffered abrasions to their faces, while Mendez had abrasions and complained of stomach pain.

“The driver of the Paseo was able to get out of the vehicle and was responsive at the scene, but [died] en route to the hospital due to medical issues,” said Parent.

The cause of the accident and fatality are currently being investigated, however, Parent stated that it is suspected the driver of the Paseo was driving under the influence of drugs.

Watch this site as more information becomes available.

Previous story

A 48-year-old male with a 5 and 2-year-old in the vehicle was struck by another car at the intersection at approximately 12:45 p.m. on Sunday, July 3.

The three individuals, including the children, were taken to Fallbrook Hospital while the driver of the second vehicle was transported to Palomar Hospital.

According to North County Fire representative John Buchanan, the children and individual at Palomar Hospital had non-threatening injuries. However, the male involved in the accident died on route to the hospital.

However, it was reported that the male was able to get out of the vehicle before being rushed to the hospital.

The cause of the accident and fatality are currently being investigated.

Watch this site as more information becomes available.

133 Responses to "Methamphetamine intoxication and pulmonary emphysema contributed to death from car collision on Main Ave."

1. Cristi   July 3, 2011 at 3:10 pm

To my family whom will be mourning for the loss of their step dad, dad, grandfather, and husband. We love you and are here for you. Our prayers are with each one of you on this horrible day. God Bless… Cristi , Joseph, and David Franco

2. Ed   July 3, 2011 at 6:16 pm

It might be nice, perhaps polite, if Chris Parent held the personal opinion on drugs until the facts came out. A CHP officer is far from an expert on this matter although you would not guess it by listening to one of them.

3. diana   July 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Please Rest In Peace Ramon Varela, the children that were with him were his grandchildren. I feel for the family’s loss.

4. Nan Nu   July 3, 2011 at 7:43 pm

This is an in accurate article, and hope by morning it is revised to the truth. To those reading this, the old saying comes in believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. The Village News neglects to add any sympathy to our family or comment of the fact he was a beloved father, grandfather, brother, son, and uncle. Rest in Peace Mon, we love you always.

5. Wow   July 3, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Dont do drugs

6. Sad   July 3, 2011 at 9:33 pm

How sad is it that people let someone with a drug or alcohol problem take kids in the car with them? From the remarks here, this is a family in denial. The children are the ones that are suffering. CPS anyone?

7. mikey   July 3, 2011 at 10:15 pm

First I would like to offer my condolences to the Varela and Franco families, for I knew Mon Varela and know that he would never knowingly do anything to bring harm to his family. It is upsetting to me, let alone the families of the deceased, to see that a good man such as Mr. Varela be accused of driving impaired without the results of any tests. As for "Wow" and "Sad", somebody forgot to teach you "RESPECT".

8. taylor   July 3, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Why is it that most people are quick to jump to conclusions that have not been proven as facts. Ramon was a low-key gentle man. His family was the most important thing in his life. The comments from "Sad" are just more unneccesary pain for his family to have to bear. Wouldn’t it be more appropriate and a lot kinder to offer our thoughts and prayers at this time Compassion and empathy would be more suited. To the Varela family, the news of mon’s death was devastating to hear. Our love and prayers are with you.

9. Anthony A.   July 4, 2011 at 2:21 am

I fully agree w/ Ed, I’ve lived here all my life 50 yrs. and grew up w/ this person. And as far as the newspaper is concerned, is buisness that bad that you have to print suspiciousins at a time like this. I would think you would have a little more respect for your own neighbor. And as for Sad, Have some class and respect for the family at least, I bet you grew up in Orange County, trust me Sad, at a time like this, no one cares about your comments & CPS calling. If you don’t know someone, keep your comments to yourself… sorry we don’t all live in a perfect world like yours Sad.. Love & Respect Mon and to his Familia …Anthony A. & Mr A.and all of our Familia…

10. local   July 4, 2011 at 3:45 am

re: Sad

The sad story here is that someone like you can sit in judgement and condemn an entire family based on a couple slim statements which may or may not be factual. It’s very easy to hide behind your keyboard and suggest that CPS take away other people’s kids, isn’t it?

My condolences to the family.

11. justwondering   July 4, 2011 at 6:31 am

Sympathy? NO WAY>>here is a man who ALLEGEDLY was driving under the influence of SOMETHING with 2 small children in his car..I will extend SYMPATHY when the CHP releases a retraction and states NO ALCOHOL or DRUGS were in this persons body. What if it had been the 2 children who died DUE to this persons ALLEDEGED intoxication..excuses excuses..

12. Taylor2   July 4, 2011 at 7:59 am

Is there no compassion left in the world? Why are some so quick to judge? It breaks my heart to read words that are so callous and hurtful. Before you put your opinion out there for all to read, take a minute and consider those left behind. As of now, you are commenting on heresay and speculation. Do you realize how wrong that is? What ever the outcome of the investigation, let’s have respect for this man’s family and friends. From your comments, I am assuming that you didn’t know Mon Varela. Everyone who knew him, like myself, only had love and respect for him. He will be remembered in our hearts forever. We send his family our prayers.

"Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy which qualifies life for immortality"

13. taylor   July 4, 2011 at 8:04 am

To "justwondering". I sit here just wondering if you even know the definition of allegedly.

14. taylor   July 4, 2011 at 8:09 am

"Compassion brings us to a stop, and for a moment we rise above ourselves"~Mason Cooley

15. Reality Checker   July 4, 2011 at 8:53 am

How about we wait for the toxicology report?

16. Ray (the real one)   July 4, 2011 at 9:42 am

What is wrong with people today?

Bad case of “brain deadness” going around?

17. gone   July 4, 2011 at 9:51 am

Said unrelated to accident, could have been a heart attack. Didn’t know him or his family, but thoughts and prayers are with you.

18. Hold your tounge   July 4, 2011 at 10:10 am

Regardless of your opinion you dont need to share it unless you knew Mon. He was the sweetest happiest most caring men I knew who loved his family to death. It is irresponsible of the Police to slander his name and even worse of the Village news to keep reprinting it. Everyone at that office new Mon he lived across the street. His Memory will live forever in our hearts. Regardless of anyone elses opionion we know the truth. Please respect the family and talk ur B.S. elsewhere.

19. May Time Heal   July 4, 2011 at 10:18 am

May Time Heal Our Family’s Hearts. Please respect us and keep your comments to yourself. We know the Truth. Mon you will always be missed. R.I.P.

20. Nita   July 4, 2011 at 11:10 am

God bless the Varela Family in your time of loss, my heart is with you all.

May God watch over all of you.

21. Peace   July 4, 2011 at 11:54 am

To taylor,and taylor2, So very sorry for your loss. Prayers to his family and friends for peace and compassion during this most difficult time. taylor, your comment #14, how very true!!

22. Resident   July 4, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Ed#2…..Chris Parent is the spokesman for the CHP. His comments are totally appropriate. Do you know what it means to be a public information officer? How can you fault him for saying "The driver of the Toyota Paseo is suspected of driving under the influence of drugs." Do you know what suspected means?

23. SympathiesToFamily   July 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm

DUI doesn’t necessarily mean alcohol or illegal drugs. It could mean prescription or OTC drugs, or even a medical disorder such as high/low blood sugar. Given that Mr. Varela died of something not related to the accident that he had a medical incident, which then caused the accident. My sincere sympathies to the family who lost their father, grandfather, brother, son, and uncle; especially to the two young ones in the car who hopefully will forget the tragedy.

24. Are You Kidding Me!   July 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I did not know this person, but my thoughts are definitely with the family and the two children that were in the truck with him. I also want to bring in another factor that we have forgotten, there is another gentleman that was taken into the hospital as well. I wish for a speedy recovery for this individual as well. I refrain to judge until the real story is posted, and maybe at that time, I will still refrain, because the loss of an individual is always sad to begin with. Hearts and prayers to the family! Love and visions of this tragedy hopefully will be taken from these children’s minds.

25. R.I.P.BIG MON   July 4, 2011 at 4:42 pm

My heart hurts we’ve lost a great man with a huge heart. My condolences to the entire Varela family…specially to lil mon and son ivan. Daughter breanna and son jonathan. To lisa. Big mon parents. And chato. Big mon you blessed a lot souls…we will miss you…forever in our hearts a soul you will live.

SOAK-1455-G.C.A

26. Sad   July 4, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I agree. Wait for the drug tests and believe what you want to believe in the meanwhile. This is what makes this community sad.

27. flbkdude   July 4, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Meth. Mon cut me off the other day at about 60 miles an hour before he turned right in front of me after passing… sorry for innocent other man hurt in accident.

28. Ms. Varela   July 4, 2011 at 9:36 pm
  29. taylor   July 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm

To Ray (the real one). I am confused about which "people" you are referring to.

30. Ray (the real one)   July 5, 2011 at 7:33 am

Too much cerveza man.

SDUT has an updated story on the crash.

31. Drugs!   July 5, 2011 at 9:03 am

So the coroner report is out and he died from Methamphetamine Intoxication and Emphysema. On Meth, driving with the 2 small children unrestrained? The family is lucky the kids weren’t killed!

32. Resident   July 5, 2011 at 10:08 am

With all due respect to the family, this man lost the ability to have my respect when he got on the road drunk and stoned on meth with two babies in the car. He could have killed so many more people. That is indefensible. While I know the family is suffering because they have lost him, it is not appropriate to ask for us to grant him any respect at all. We can give you our prayers, but respect is earned.

33. CHUYITO   July 5, 2011 at 11:11 am

i would like to say thank u to all the kind words from people that feel our pain, that was my uncle that died an u guys aint nobody to judge him. that man would give u the shirt of his back and if he had a dollar he would give u 75 cents and keep a quarter. keep ur comments to ur self…i love u MON AND MAY U REST IN PEACE.. and those who knew u know the truth of the kind man u were i love u tio…UR NEPHEW “CHUYITO”

34. CHUYITO   July 5, 2011 at 11:17 am

SAD UR THE ONE THATS THE SAD ONE I BET IF THAT WAS ONE OF UR FAM MEMBERS U WOULDNT BE RUNNING UR MOUTH THE WAY U ARE

35. Pink   July 5, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I have to totally agree with Resident on this one. I am sorry for the pain the family is going through but it could have been so much worse. What if in his foolish and thoughtless behavior he had killed not only those babies but some other innocent persons as well. Drugs like meth are an evil. If we allow evil in it can kill us.

36. glad he\'s off the street   July 5, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Another methed out person dies. Nothing new here. Just another day in Fallbrook.

37. Resident   July 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Pink@ Well said. Evil can kill us. The man may have had a heart of gold, but that doesn’t matter. He appears to have had an addiction to drugs as well. Alcohol and meth in your system at 12:40pm on s Sunday? that is the middle of the day. Why was he in that condition in the middle of the day. CPS needs to be called on the parent that allowed him to take those babies in his car. You will never convince me that they were not aware of his sobriety that afternoon. Someone should have stopped him.

Chuyito@ I do judge him. He killed himself and injured three other people because he made the decision to drive while drunk and stoned. I do judge his character and common sense.

38. woah   July 5, 2011 at 1:25 pm

now youre saying he was drunk? he wasnt drunk, get your facts right. You didnt know his life, and i didnt either. And now your even putting out false accusations saying he was drunk? and stoned? do you even know what stoned means? That has to do with marijuanna, not methanphetamine, you know as much about drugs as the chp.

39. much amor to the Varela family.   July 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm

R u freaken kidding me ? Let’s say this man did have an alcohol or drug problem. Does that make him any less of a human being? The man woke up and put his pants on just like u and me. A life is a life and I’m sorry that this beloved man was taken from his loved ones. Times heals all wounds. Ull never forget him and that will always warm ur heart. My love goes out to u all…

40. Jen   July 5, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Never met him, but I Know he was important to his family. My prayers go out to my cousins and all those who are mourning this loss. God bless.

41. jAY   July 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm

IVE KNOWN RAMON SINCE 6TH GRADE,
    EVERYONE THAT KNEW HIM LIKED HIM
    WE ALL HAVE ISSUES DONT JUDGE WHAT
    NO ONE KNOWS FOR SURE
    REST IN PEACE RAMON AND GOD BE WITH YOUR
    FAMILY BROTHER…

42. Ray (the real one)   July 5, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I can just imagine the funeral. Folks wearing tee shirts with gothic letters and writing and making funny hand gestures…. colors, colors.

43. Michael Crain   July 5, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I was first on scene.
    As Ramon walked toward me after he exited his car, he said "help me, help me" and then fell to the ground. I was on the phone to 911 as this happened. I teach CPR and was feeling his VF going away very fast. I used my body as shade and my foot as a pillow for those first moments.
    I stayed with him until EMT’s were on scene. If family wish’s more details I would be more than happy to talk to you. My contact info is on a local web site Northcountycert.com
    I pray for his family and those 2 children that were in the car as well as the young man I spoke to in the other vehicle.
    I can say that NC fire was on scene within a few minutes, good job.

44. Michael Crain   July 5, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Ps. I first met Ramon back at Potter Jr school in 1975. We have mutual friends here in Fallbrook. I have read the comments above and can see the thoughts and feelings from those whom have posted.
    I have spent 10 years working on a trauma team and have an understanding of those left to suffer after a death.
    We all know what is right and wrong, we all want everything to be good and better. When things like this occur, opinions from all sides are spoken (or typed).
    One real issue surfaces when this happens and it is called second injury to those who have fond feelings for those injured. Right or wrong they will feel additional pain.
    From here those who want to really make a difference will stand and be counted to help educate others so we can make a difference. I will stand with you. So either keep sending in comments or show up and make a difference, your choice.

45. latitude33   July 5, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Wow

46. Valerie   July 5, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Please keep all negative comments off of here …Lets give the family’s some peace and support. We don’t have to like how this happened or how it went down. This family should get all the peace and respect anyone of us would want for ourselves in a situation like this. My prayers are with this family and all that are involved.

47. pde   July 5, 2011 at 8:36 pm

RAY:same exact thing u said about frankie lopez funeral

48. sad   July 5, 2011 at 8:36 pm

the "truth" is out. what is the next excuse for letting those little children in the car? Like I said. CPS.

49. Valerie   July 5, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Wow let it go !!!! Be there for the family have some compassion for them! Please! This could happen to anyone.. Sorry it has to happen at all.. but the family is going through so much this is just not doing anyone any good!! please show the compassion that I know this town is capable of…

50. taylor   July 5, 2011 at 10:05 pm

re: Ray (the real one) I was just imagining what your funeral might be like. Oh. what’s this? Not one person attending.

51. Resident   July 5, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Valerie#46 – This is the place to make comments, good or bad about what happened. The place to pay your respects is on the obituary page. For those of us that don’t know him and can separate ourselves from his personal life, we are using this forum to vent our frustration at his actions and the danger he put everyone else in.

If what is written upsets you, step back from this page and don’t read it. That would probably make things much easier for you.

52. Ray (the real one)   July 5, 2011 at 10:56 pm

pde: Than the same applies. no excuse for driving under the influence especially Meth and with children in the vehicle, really good role model and father. you do dumb things and die, well that’s what you get, plain and simple. Frankie lopez? What this the one playing in traffic tagging the street or the wanna be gang member foolish enough to get killed in Vista? seems all too “cartel-ish” when you talk about the actions of the “tan klan”.

53. Ms. Varela   July 5, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Regardless of what you may think or feel please keep your negative comments to yourself. Like mucho amor said, a life is a life. He was human being just like the rest of us. No one is perfect. I hope that none of you ever have to feel the pain our family is going thru. No matter what happened someone lost their life, if you don’t chose to respect him that is fine but please respect his children, parents and the rest of our family.

54. Ms. Varela   July 5, 2011 at 11:59 pm

@Ray(the real one)- your nonsense and UNWANTED opinion is not needed. We grieve like any other human in this world regardless of one’s wardrobe. You want people to respect you then maybe you should learn how to respect other people. Oh and I’m sure the only hand gesture u will get isn’t the one your talking about.

55. Anon   July 6, 2011 at 7:15 am

People make fun of drug addiction likes it’s a joke. They say just stop like it’s nothing. Drug addiction is the hardest thing a human has to struggle with for the rest of their life.

56. taylor2   July 6, 2011 at 7:39 am

re: comment 37 I don’t understand people who think they have the right to judge another human-being. I have yet to meet someone who has never done something, sometime in their lives that they regretted. I know I have. Knowing my own flaws, what right would I have to judge another. It isn’t my place, and it certainly isn’t anyones else’s in this town. Mon is no longer with us, but the people who loved him are. Why can’t they be shown a little kindness? If it were your family grieving, I would show them the same compassion that i feel for the Varela family. It is just the right thing to do.

57. Ray (the real one)   July 6, 2011 at 8:24 am

Ms. Varela: Respect is earned, not given. I am happy with the respect I get and give others who “earn it”. With his medical conditions, only an irresponsible person would take a drug that increases cardio and respiratory rates in addition to the lack of sleep the drug causes, a disaster waiting to happen, and it did. First of all, a 48 year old man should know better than to drink or take drugs and should know better than to have kids in the car while tweaked out. These actions deserve no respect. You can soft soap the incident with all your “propaganda” and toss in a few “goddie” comments but in the end, irresponsible decisions are the reason why he is now dead.

The only thing I am glad about is that this person didn’t kill those innocent children.

58. Pink   July 6, 2011 at 8:36 am

I don’t believe we have the right to "judge" other people either Taylor 2, only God can do that, but neither should we try to excuse their reprehensible actions. Mr. Varella would be alive today and his family wouldn’t be grieving if he hadn’t CHOSEN to take drugs like meth, along with alcohol and then drive his car thereby putting the lives of others, including his own little precious grand children in danger! My heart goes out to Mrs. Varella and her family and they are in my prayers, but please do not try and excuse what he did by saying he was a wonderful person. If my husband, who I also think is a pretty good guy, were to put our grand children’s lives in danger like that I would shoot him myself! Does the family not realize that those kids can be taken away from them for child endangerment? Mr. Varella was a grown man who made an extremely bad choice.

59. Ray (the real one)   July 6, 2011 at 8:36 am

Ms. Varela: I’m 51, never used drugs with the exception of a little grass when I was young. My only vices are cigarettes and they don’t harm or kill others because I am a considerate smoker. I have a few beers a day, not the 36 pack you folks consume, I have not receive a citation related to driving since the second year of the second term of the Clinton administration, never involoved in an "at fault" accident in my life, including my teen years. I call that being responsible whereas he was not.

Taylor2: Ever hear of a jury of your peers, we have the right to judge others especially if they are a danger to society.

60. Resident   July 6, 2011 at 10:13 am

The Varela family doesn’t own the comments page of this online newspaper.

Make a private facebook page to remember your family member, without public access.

61. jess   July 6, 2011 at 10:41 am

Well said taylor2!! R.I.P Mon! We luv and miss you!!

62. Tragedy   July 6, 2011 at 10:46 am

This is a tragedy. This man obviously had a drug addiction or he would not have meth in his system at lunchtime. But the biggest tragedy is that he drove his grandkids, injured them, injured another INNOCENT human being and then killed himself. He may be a loving nice guy to you, but that didn’t stop him from breaking the law and risking the lives of those children. He should never have gotten behind the wheel of a car. I wonder how many times he drove impaired like that? How many lives did he risk on a daily basis. There is no excusing his behavior.

Whoa#38. The man was STONED. That is clear. Most of us that post here have been around drugs or have known about drugs before you were in diapers. We are much more knowledgeable than you are. You may say "stoned" for weed, but trust me, being stoned means being faded, wasted, zoned, etc. That term has been around since the 1950’s. It is all the same thing and the reason the CHP says that is because they are more knowledgeable than you. Get a clue, set your pipe down and step away from the computer. Stoned is stoned. Meth, weed, pills, etc.

63. Resident   July 6, 2011 at 10:59 am

This is not a grief counselors office.

It’s not a memorial page for the deceased, either.

People are commenting on a news story.

They have that right and anyone who doesn’t want to read that can go read something else.

64. Weak Mlnded People   July 6, 2011 at 2:24 pm

What makes anyone of us perfect to judge. Bias is always part of someone’s judgement. So who of you can grantee that your judgement is perfect. We don’t make our society better by insulting and looking down on other people. If you are afraid of people getting into a vehicle intoxicated then you should do something to lower the amount of times people get into a vehicle intoxicated. It is easier to say than do. We should be teaching each other and learning from our mistakes. Unknowingly we all drive down the street trusting oncoming vehicles will not cross into our lane and none of us can asure ourselves that we will never make a bad decision or go insane. We all can easily fall from our well lead lives. We judge without taking in consideration the whole background of the story or the reasons as to why things happened the way it did. The consequences of those actions have been paid for and that does deserve respect. Many of us lack compassion and respect towards humanity. Many of us are existing and not living. We are here to serve others and many if not all of the professions serve and ad others. Try not to comment in anger because that in its self is bias. My condolences to the family.

65. jonathan vaca   July 6, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Ramon Varela was my uncle. i was fishing on the pier in oceanside when this happend. they called my dad and told him that my uncle had died. we rushed home right away , and asked my mom what had happend. she said that little oscar, and jonny had got hurt in the car crash. i rushed to them and asked what happend they said " pappa died" . uncle mon you will be missed by all of us. r.i.p

66. person who loves him   July 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm

my tio mon was such a great person i wish this never happened i just wish this never happened and didnt hear about this i cant believe such an awesome man is gone i never imagined this happening to a loveable man.

67. neiz   July 6, 2011 at 2:53 pm

we will miss u

68. @Weak   July 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm

You open with an insult "Weak Minded People" and then write that no one can judge others.

Sounds like you’re indulging in it yourself!

By the way, I CAN assure that I’m not going to use meth and get in a car, driving little kids. It’s pretty simple, really.

Another part of your preachy diatribe shot down.

Save your long winded lectures for someone who wants them.

69. Question   July 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm

To the family – was his drug use new? Was it well hidden? Was it over looked? Are the police mistaken? What is your opinion on the drug use info?

70. latitude33   July 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Am I missing something? I am sorry that a man had to lose his life but he clearly wasn

71. his neiz   July 6, 2011 at 3:10 pm

why was drugs invented ! to murder people !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

72. Ray (the rea one)   July 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm

person who loves him: Meth user! Well love has no boundaries.

Tell that to Saint Peter’s.

73. justwondering   July 6, 2011 at 3:29 pm

So much emotion!Death of a loved one is always extremely difficult…BUT I wonder what the OUTRAGE would have been had Mr Varela LIVED and the 2 small childern died. COMPASSION for the meth user??Or outrage? Im thinking OUTRAGE.So why should it be different…and wheres the OUTRAGE for letting a known meth user DRIVE 2 LITTLE babies around!!??

74. maria   July 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm

ramon varela was my uncle and we loved him very much he was really nice with us. and he loved his grandchildren very much also his kid and i know who he was an i know the truth ,and village news should watch wat there write and those that are judging my uncle stop none of u guys r perfect ok so stop saying all the stuff because if some one of ur family was suffering.

75. @Maria   July 6, 2011 at 4:23 pm

"village news should watch wat there write"?

Is that a poorly spelled threat? How old are you?

76. To Maria   July 6, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I am sorry for your loss. BUT, your Uncle drove a car and was under the influence of drugs. He could have killed two small children. Or killed the man in the other car. How does that make you feel?

77. Rosi Rivera   July 6, 2011 at 4:39 pm

uncle mom you will always be in our hearts and we r going to miss you so much but i know your in a very special place now because god loves you regardles whatever some people with no feelings r saying about you all of your family knew who you were and thats what matters we love you rest in peace

78. latitude33   July 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm

@ maria

I am sorry that you lost your uncle but it was his choice whether or not to take meth and get behind the wheel.

I think you should feel very fortunate that you didn

79. 777ft.   July 6, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I do not drive down the street trusting that no one will come in my lane. I was taught to be a defensive driver and be ready for anything. Also, it seems the point of comments such as latitude33

80. The real problem   July 6, 2011 at 8:06 pm

What family members aren’t saying is that they knew they couldn’t do anything to make this man stop using drugs but they loved him anyway, and that’s fine. What the real tragedy is revolves around how these family members are not properly caring for their children. If grandpa is a known addict or even recreational use, there is no question that these kids should not have been in his care at any time OR in his car with him behind the wheel. No one can make a drug addict reform when they don’t want to but to subject innocent young children to this danger is the real crime. The only people that wouldn’t care what situation their kids are in are drug addicts themselves. These children need to be cared for by someone who has a sober brain and uses it. Someone who cares about their safety. If a relative can’t do it, then authorities need to step in. No question. This is neglect and no child deserves that.

81. mind your business   July 6, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Have you heard the saying if you have nothing nice tay don say anything at all! Why do you care how he lived his life or why he died it’s still the loss of someone and as his family we’re hurt abou it you are no on to judge you’re not and you are not perfect specially if u didn’t know him don’t say anything make something of your life and leave otjer people alone and if you really thino you’re so perfect post your name and number and we’ll talk about it because you don’t need to make hurtful and unnecessary comments. GET A LIFELIFE

82. Pink   July 7, 2011 at 8:45 am

Illiteracy is a dangerous thing.

83. Ray (the real one)   July 7, 2011 at 9:12 am

mind your business: He lived his life as a drug infested person, what do you want us to say? He was a model citizen? He cared about his children? He died because of his “choice” to abuse drugs. I think comments are appropriate.

Seems the VFL are commenting here.

84. umm   July 7, 2011 at 9:31 am

This is an opinion place..not a memorial. From some of the postings it looks as tho Fallbrooks schools(or ?) have failed big time. What happened to grammer..spelling..and punctuation?

85. Are You Kidding Me!   July 7, 2011 at 9:58 am

There are a lot of hateful things being passed around here. As far as the family goes, I understand your grief and pain, not only about the loss you have suffered but by the things you are reading here. What you have to understand is that people are angry at the addiction, and the life that surrounds the addiction and everyone that the addiction touches. I understand that you are saying that your family member here was a good man and how much you all loved him, but we also know the skeletal remains of the damage that the addiction caused. Unfortunately it is the family that always pays the price for a family members addictions and faults, and the pan that was left behind from the victims that were involved and the innocent little children that usually gets caught up in the middle.
    I do have some questions, if there was as much love around your family member as everyone claims, why did no one take it upon themselves to get this man the help that he needed. He obviously had an illness, and as family members, we are to take care of each other, and help in the time of need.
    Again I am sorry for your loss, but understand that people are getting tired of seeing innocent young children and other victims being put in danger because of someones addictive actions.

86. Flbk Resident   July 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Since there are two people posting here using the same moniker, I will change mine to Flbk Resident. I was posting early on and I never post double-spaced my comments. Just don’t want any confusion.

The medical examiner found, “Contributing Conditions: Pulmonary emphysema; Methamphetamine intoxication”. That clearly indicates this man was wasted.” Where is the outrage from his family that this man drove his grandchildren in his car while he was that messed up?

87. JakeMiles   July 7, 2011 at 1:30 pm

been saying it for years. we do not have a gang problem, we have a drug problem! look at the 19-year-old black man that was slain, by dopers. they might have been affiliated with a gang “VFL” which is not a gang to me. i would take my chances any day of the week, with those guys. this town has a serious dope problem, brown, white, it’s the truth. dope knows, no color, just destruction, chaos, killing and robbing. clean the town up!

88. regarding#82   July 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm

"Illiteracy is a dangerous thing". And when combined with Christianity it becomes downright terrifying!!

89. Pink   July 7, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Christianity is only terrifying to the ignorant and the ungodly. To those who are believers it is what gets us through life’s hardships and calamities. You can speak against Christ all you want to, that is your choice, it can’t touch me or my faith in God, but you do damage to your own souls, your words blow back to you, you are spitting in the wind.

90. Dottie   July 7, 2011 at 2:57 pm

All I have to say is I am really sorry for the grandchildren of this man. I am sorry they had a grandfather that had such little respect for them. I am sorry this man was so selfish to even think of driving intoxicated while these little folks were in the car. You reap what you sow. He made a very selfish and bad decision and had to pay the consequences.

91. Flbk Resident   July 7, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Pink#89 Perfectly said.

92. Esperanza   July 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm

First of all the man is gone what more can happen. The children are alive thank god. Seriously stop the hypocrisy like you people care about the kids! Raise your own take care of your own. You people must not have much of a life to be commenting on and on about this man especially you

93. taylor   July 7, 2011 at 8:36 pm

The phrase "Methamphetamine Intoxication" may be a bit misleading to some people. Most of us hear the word, intoxicated, and picture someone slurring their words and stumbling out of a bar. Meth intoxication is almost the exact opposite. It is a stimulant. When using meth, a person feels more eneregetic and alert. They are more outgoing and talkative. Meth is extremely addicting. When the "high" is gone, the person will feel as though they need it just to get themselves up out of bed and going again. It is like a rollercoaster of highs and lows.
    The use of Meth runs through every level of society.

94. Lisa   July 7, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Mr. Varela was selfish. He drove while under the influence of alcohol and Meth with his own grand babies in the car. Outrageous. The family should be grateful that he didn’t kill the children or the other innocent driver.They must’ve known he had a problem so why even allow their children to be in the car with him??? I’ve read the posts and agree that this is a place to give opinions, not to memorialize Mr. Varela. The Village News reported the facts so the family shouldn’t blame the paper for reporting the story. Some of the posts written by the family members are simply dumb. They certainly do not represent the majority of the Hispanic population in Fallbrook. Not all Hispanics are illiterate!

95. cv   July 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm

R.I.p mon varela don’t listen to the bad talkers

96. christian vaca   July 7, 2011 at 10:15 pm

R.I.p mon varela and don’t listen to the bad talkers they just haters and want something to talk about we love u ur always in ma heart ok we will always miss u can’t wait till we see eachother again in my mind and hert ull always be r.I.p ramon varela

97. meardsawatishiw I   July 8, 2011 at 1:18 am

Memboring BIG MON…..bumping too short….and chilln……..

98. Arturo   July 8, 2011 at 9:20 am

to #97-I wonder what kinda bumping BIG MON was doing before he almost killed is grandkids? Unfortunately we all know.

99. Arturo   July 8, 2011 at 9:28 am

to #89-grow up!

100. question   July 8, 2011 at 10:10 am

to christian vaca – see eachother again? Are you referring to heaven? Do you think there is a place in heaven for a grandfather that knowingly put his grandchildren in a fatal situation? Possibly. God is forgiving, I just don’t see how the rest of the family can forgive so easily. I know I can’t.

101. latitude33   July 8, 2011 at 11:13 am

@ Esperanza

102. My View   July 8, 2011 at 12:33 pm

As I have been reading all the comments these past days, my reactions have run the gamut from outrage to deep sadness and everything else in between. I think that COMMENT #85 (posted by Are You Kidding Me!) states the closest to my own thoughts on the matter.

Although Mr. Varela’s own actions led to this tragedy that doesn’t erase the fact that he was greatly loved by his family & friends and they in turn felt his love for them and are now missing him immensely. Maybe they too are dealing with their own anger, guilt & remorse about the situation. But as Resident posted in COMMENT #63, we all have the right to comment, no matter what side of the issue we are on. Mr. Varela’s family needs to keep this in mind.

As a Community – What do we do about the abuse of drugs (illegal & prescription), alcohol, etc. in our town? We can’t just preach about the dangers. What about the people already addicted, whose judgment is so impaired so they think that they are fine? Leaving it up to law enforcement to deal with the “results” of drugs/alcohol doesn’t deal with the real problems. Yes, each individual makes the choice to “do drugs” or abuse alcohol and the result is their fault, but as we were all reminded, unfortunately, it doesn’t just affect that one individual. Family, friends & innocent bystanders are greatly affected too.

To the Family & Friends of Mr. Varela – what could you have done differently? What could the residents of Fallbrook have done to help? I am not asking this in a judgmental way.

The Varela Family is just one of the many families (Caucasian, Latino, Asian, etc.) that make up the whole of Fallbrook. It would be nice to think that if we just stay within our own four walls and do what is “right” that everything will be okay. Each of our lives & actions touches one another and we are each responsible for one another’s general welfare whether we like it or not. So, instead of blaming each other, pointing fingers & preaching why don’t we start from square one and come up with workable solutions to care about our neighbors & make Fallbrook safer? Any suggestions or does this sound too idealistic? No matter how different our backgrounds may be, I think that one thing we all have in common is that we all want to keep our families safe.

103. Ray (the real one)   July 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm

My View: Thanks for the "sugar shock" but let’s face reality and the facts. for the past 10 years, I have ben commenting on news stories in this publicaton as well as others and one commonality rings true, crime stories resemble the menu at Albertos. Over the years, I have published links to non-partisan reports comfirming my allegations yet I am called every name in the book, for what? telling the truth. Let’s face reality here, some just cause more problems than others, that’s a fact and in this case, the ones causing the problems are Hispanics. Hispanic gangs are the number one gang groups in America, fact. Most of Fallbrook’s gang problems are from hispanic gangs, fact. most of Fallbrook’s reported crime usually has a "salsa sound" to it, fact. During the fire, I remained, most if not all of the looting came from one group, fact. how many facts do you need? I am sure sitting around the campfire singing "cum bah yah" sounds nice, but let’s live in the here and now, the world of reality. I stand by the acts and my comments, fact.

Everyone can call me names, hate my guts, but nobody has ever disputed my facts, thank you.

104. MyView   July 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm

To RAY(THE REAL ONE): Not trying to give you a "sugar shock", be a "goody two-shoes" or trying to sing kumbaya. Also, I am NOT calling you any names for your beliefs; actually there are many times that I agree with you. We are all familiar with the "facts" as you have put forth and I am not necessarily disputing you. Regarding this particular situation, the problem was drugs. I do not know if Mr. Varela belonged to a gang. The drug & alcohol problems are not just an issue with the Hispanic community; ALL ethnic groups here deal with this problem and we as the "sober" members of this community need to figure out a way to deal with it. What do you personally believe is the solution? You have identified what or who you think is the problem. If your only suggestion is to run a certain ethnic group out of town, JUST because of their ethnicity, than we would be taking a step backward. It would be like what happened to the Japanese-Americans during WWII. Just because a person is Hispanic doesn’t mean that he/she is an "illegal", belongs to a gang or has plans to commit a crime. Just as most of the Japanese-Americans put into internment camps were NOT siding with Japan during WWII. I don’t call you names or hate your guts. I just think that there has to be a better way to fight than using hate and racial slurs. Most of us just complain, point out the problems and say that someone needs to do something, but do we ever put our words & beliefs to action? If you honestly believe that there is NO HOPE for things to improve than why bother commenting at all? Being bitter and cynical, having no hope & not willing to put thought/comment into action is just as bad as my "unrealistic world".
    P.S. Just so you know Ray(the real one) – I’m always interested to see what your comments will be because it keeps me thinking and gets other people riled up & involved; whether or not we agree with you! :)

105. MyView   July 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm

An added note To Ray (the real one): In Comment #59 you said "My only vices are cigarettes and they don’t harm or kill anyone….." Just keep in mind that if you have any family or friends – they will be hurting if you die too soon from lung cancer and in that sense you will be harming them. My father smoked for many years; although we tried to get him to stop. He stopped finally, but not soon enough. Cigarettes too were his only vice.
    Angry at him for choosing to smoke, but still loved him as a person & miss him every day. Lung cancer is a terrible thing for someone to go through and for the family to see. Wishing you good health!

106. Fallbrook Blues   July 8, 2011 at 5:11 pm

This man should have never been allowed to drive high with those kids in the car! I find it hard to belive out of all his family members, no one knew of ol granpa’s addiction. You dont hand kids over to a meth addict!

Also this family does not need to try to control this page. I was not going to comment at all, but since the family seems to think they own this page, I decided to comment.

107. latitude33   July 8, 2011 at 9:16 pm

‘keep on trucking’ Ray (the real one)

108. res.   July 8, 2011 at 9:55 pm

METH LAB BLOWS UP IN BROOKTOWN TONIGHT KILLING ONE PERSON!!!! THE VILLAGE IS SINKING FAST!!!!

109. ERIN   July 9, 2011 at 5:29 pm

With everyone arguing about what is right and what is wrong. We have lost sight of the silver lining in this event. There is one less meth head on Medi-Cal.

110. Ann   July 9, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I can’t believe that I am reading this stuff. I can’t believe that you live in the FRIENDLY VILLAGE. What a bunch of #@#%! PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES!!!!!!
    I’m sure that there is not one of you that have not been touched by drugs in one way or another. If you don’t think you have, you better check out what your kids are doing a little better.

111. Ann   July 9, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Just because someone does drugs and has an accident does not give you the right to say mean and nasty things about that person. I may not like everything that my school friends do (I have known Mon since 4th grade), but does that mean turn your back on them? I would rather have them know I am willing to help them. And to Erin, come on, REALLY? How do you know this?

112. christianvaca   July 9, 2011 at 9:12 pm

To#100yes in heaven and god will forgive him I know he will and its becuz u don’t no anything about me or my family that’s y u say he put kids in danger u guys don’t now that we all loved and love him for who he is and was and always will and wen I said I place wait I can and will but when its my turn to go I know ill be in a good place with my uncle mon! !!

113. christian vaca   July 9, 2011 at 9:17 pm

To#106 well if its none of ur buisiness then don’t coment u don’t even no what’s was going on and don’t need to no either we’re not controling the page we’re clearing tjings out so we can stop all the dumb stories going on in peoples mouth!!

114. Ann   July 9, 2011 at 10:02 pm

How ironic that Michael Crain was there, was able to help him the best he could and more than likely give Mon some comforting words.

And if you don’t like Fallbrook and it’s sinking village go back to where you came and give a report on what’s going on in YOUR hometown! Chances are it’s twice as bad as in our little place we call home.

115. latitude33   July 9, 2011 at 10:38 pm

@ Ann .. wow really since the 4th grade?? You sound like you are 12 years old !

116. mikey   July 10, 2011 at 12:31 pm

@latitude33…if anything YOU are the one sounding childish and immature. All I heard were kind things coming from her. So go ahead and hide behind your little keyboard and lash out at the innocents out there, I’m sure it’s the ONLY way that a weak coward such as you could justify your existence. This includes all of the hypocrites that had nothing better to do than write nasty things about someone they didn’t know, with total disregard for the feelings of the families involved. May you rest in peace Ramon Varela.

117. latitude33   July 10, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Thanks ‘mikey’ for responding to my ridiculous comment! yeah

118. @Ann   July 10, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Do you know the meaning of the word ironic?

How is it ironic that Michael Crain says he was there?

Do people even know what they are writing about?

119. worried   July 12, 2011 at 7:01 am

Forget the he said, she said b/s. Stop and take a look at what this society has become. Ultimately ourselves are responsible for our own decisions and actions, not family or friends. You see more effort in negative reinforcement than positive reinforcement. People have forgotten what makes this world go round. Mistakes are part of human life, its how we respond to mistakes that ultimately decide the future. God doesn’t say to expose, humiliate, judge or condemn the sinners. We are supposed to continue to reach out and support, forgive and love. Your own negative thoughts and words is like a free drug. It becomes so easy to exploit others faults to self satisfy our own self conscious, and make yourself believe you have no problems. Situations like these are test and obstacles set by god. I wish to be a church goer but gave up after always seeing it has become more of a bossiness and status fulfillment than a place to worship and understand what god truly expects. Anyone who has judged, is nothing more than a floating drug with no remedy. Good luck to you

120. mikey   July 12, 2011 at 1:05 pm

@latitude33…Seems to me you are insinuating that I am one of those that condone "drinking, doing drugs, and living it up". My answer to you is a resounding YES. As far as doing these activities and getting behind the wheel, an even more resounding NO. It’s easy to say " Oh, I meant to write and sound childish" after you’ve been checked, isn’t it? The only reason you "got a rise" out of me is from the fact that you were insulting Ann. So check yourself before you wreck yourself.

121. latitude33   July 12, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Haha

122. res.   July 12, 2011 at 6:36 pm

ann as far as the sinking village goes.our family has owned houses and property’s in brooktown since 1960. so my comment still stands!!!!!!!!!!!!

123. Loving Ray (the Real One)   July 14, 2011 at 5:13 am

I just have to say, I LOVE Ray (the real one). We think exactly alike and I love that he has the guts to speak the truth.

124. lia   July 15, 2011 at 12:23 am

I had the pleasure of meeting Ramon once about a year ago. He was a very friendly man and went out of his way to help my mother in law when she was in need. RIP Ramon and my prayers go out to Rosina (sorry if I spelled your name wrong) & the family!

125. sandy mc.   July 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm

To the varela family,A loss is still a loss, and my heart goes out to all of you.your in my thoughts and prayers.And remember this too shall pass…………

126. Bee's Knees   July 22, 2011 at 2:52 am

blah blah blah blah grow up people. If I got a nickel for every comment on here, I could grab a burger from Carl’s Jr.

127. anon   August 5, 2011 at 9:21 am

Anybody can hide behind a computer. Ray needs to grow up.

128. Arturo Grande   September 19, 2012 at 11:45 am

Rip Mon Varela sr. many jente Loved u n Now u r resting with Chava,Pedro,Javier M. n my carnala Nadine, la india, Eternal Happiness to all of u Puro Familia.

129. X Fallbrook Resident   October 6, 2012 at 9:32 am

listen up !! Are you saying you have never driven a vechicle under the influence of drugs ?? Then I guess you do not take medication or get flu shots or you don’t drive. Just because they came out of the drug store doesn’t mean it isn’t drugs. If you could just try to understand the pain and suffering this family is trying to cope with………. ( I don’t know this family) However my prayers are with this family……….I strongly belive his family and friends knew the person he was,much better than anyone else.. (enough said)

130. Vic   October 30, 2012 at 12:18 pm

If you have a loved one who is suspected of drug abuse please tighten down and force them to clean up or do not allow them to drive and risk the lives of others. There is no excuse!

131. This is sad...   December 16, 2012 at 9:44 am

First of all, I wanted to give the Varela family my condolences and sympathies. I hope the children are doing well and happy.

Secondly, for the idiots that would wish CPS on this family? Wow, really? CPS is a joke, and anyone with true concern for a child’s well being would call 911- if they suspected a kid were in danger, not CPS. CPS definitely DOES NOT need to get involved. That would just add insult to injury, especially since the family didn’t do it, good grief.

I love how people act so righteous like they never gotten into a wreck, had a speeding ticket, or drove a car after getting in an argument. Nobody is just a perfect driver. Nobody here on earth is an all knowing judge of another person’s ability to drive a vehicle. You are not God people!
    As for the posts telling the family to force the addict to clean up? It is up to the individual to get clean. All the love in the world sometimes isn’t enough for a person who’s addicted.
    How harsh everyone is to meanpost their comments to the family who is innocent? This could happen to anybody. People die in car accidents who aren’t under the influence of anything. Everyone has gotten behind the wheel at least once when they probably shouldn’t have. E.g. after a fight with their spouse, after taking cold medicine, when they are upset, when they forgot to take their anti road rage pills.

132. mj19696   December 26, 2013 at 2:11 am

why do websites allow for such stirring up of hate , discontent and judgment?

133. mj19696   December 26, 2013 at 2:14 am

then I hope and pray that you approve of Christ .