Mom pleads guilty to charges in alcohol party case

Deborah Gibney, 46, who was arrested and charged with violating San Diego County’s Social Host Ordinance (SECF 32.1503) as a result of an incident at her Fallbrook home on June 10, 2009, pled guilty to the misdemeanor charge on Feb. 9.

Lt. Phil Brust, commander of the Fallbrook Sheriff’s Substation said he was “very pleased” with the outcome of Gibney’s case. Brust credited detective Jim Pucillo and deputy district attorney Robert Eacret for bringing the case to a successful outcome.

“[Gibney] has admitted that she did violate the social host ordinance by allowing children to bring alcohol to her house,” said Brust. “Pucillo’s and Eacret’s investigation, coupled with the excellent witness statements from those who were present at the party, in my opinion, led to her guilty plea.”

Brust said law enforcement never alleged that Gibney served the minors alcohol, but that she “allowed them to bring alcohol to her home and consume it on the premises to the point that several of the kids became severely intoxicated and one needed to be taken to the hospital.”

Law enforcement officers responded to a call on June 10, 2009 from Fallbrook Hospital regarding a 17-year-old girl who had been brought into the emergency room with what appeared to be alcohol poisoning. When deputies proceeded to investigate the circumstances involved in the girl’s situation, they discovered a large party was taking place at Gibney’s home. After arriving at Gibney’s home, officers discovered between 75 and 100 teenagers or minors on her property.

“Alcohol was openly being consumed,” said Brust, adding that 10 to 15 of the teens were “so intoxicated, they became sick to the point of vomiting.”

Brust said following Gibney’s arrest she served one day in jail and was credited for that in the plea agreement.

“She has now been placed on three years probation, is required to attend a MADD Victim Impact Panel, ordered to attend parenting classes, and has been fined $300,” he explained. Brust said the fact that Gibney pled guilty is encouraging.

“We are pleased that she recognized that she exercised poor judgment in allowing kids to bring alcohol to her home; by pleading guilty, she is in fact taking responsibility for her actions,” he said.

Eacret agreed. “We think this was a fair outcome for this case,” he said. “She admitted she was guilty of this offense.”

Eacret said if Gibney meets all the requirements set forth, and does not violate her probation, the district attorney’s office will be satisfied.

With Spring Break just around the corner, Brust said he hopes adults will act with responsibility concerning children under their supervision.

“Hopefully this will hit home to any adults that may be thinking about hosting a party during Spring Break or for graduation,” said Brust. “It shows that we in law enforcement and the DA’s office are serious about protecting youth.

The successful outcome of this case shows that.”

34 Responses to "Mom pleads guilty to charges in alcohol party case"

1. Valerie   February 16, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Thank You for taking responsibility!!!!!

2. RED   February 16, 2010 at 8:33 pm

The fine needs to much higher, $5,000.00 per child she allowed to get drunk. And she should never be allowed to have large underage parties on her property again. But I’m glad she pleaded guilty, what else could she plead.

3. Fallbrook Res   February 16, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Good!

4. Mom   February 16, 2010 at 9:28 pm

WOOO HOOOO! Glad she stopped denying it all.

5. ELLIE   February 17, 2010 at 6:29 am

I don’t understand how parents think allowing ‘children’, and that’s exactly what they still are, to bring and consume alcohol in their home is okay. Teens don’t need their parents to be their ‘friend’, they need parents to be PARENTS who set boundries, take responsibility and teach them what’s right and wrong. They also need to be taught the negative aspects of alcohol and the real damage it causes, especially to teens.

If Ms. Gibney had not been caught, would the next step allow kids to do drugs in her home and possibly overdose? I just don’t get it and yes, I have 5 grown kids.

6. mom of lots   February 17, 2010 at 6:29 am

Case closed.

7. Yolanda   February 17, 2010 at 8:19 am

Is sure was easier growing up as a teen 70’s-80’s when this kind of stuff was no big deal. Kids are going to drink no matter what and were.

8. Pessimistic   February 17, 2010 at 8:19 am

Where are all those Gibney supporters and cop haters now? I remember when this first hit the VN they were coming out of the woodwork in defense of this woman.

With the amount of time spent by the courts and law enforcement over this matter that ‘punishment’ sure is light. $300 does NOT even come close to paying back what the ‘system’ spent on dealing with this great neighbor of ours. What a waste of resources!

9. diana   February 17, 2010 at 8:40 am

where is her pretty little picture was it in the paper.

10. resident   February 17, 2010 at 10:48 am

Really glad to see that she was found guilty, although I do not applaud her for pleading guilty. Don’t kid yourself and think she was accepting responsibility, she only did that because the punishment was so easy and so ridiculous. It would have cost her money to defend her sorry a**. She should have served jail time. It frustrates me that she got away with this.

11. cityzen   February 17, 2010 at 11:38 am

this woman is setting a poor example for her children and her children’s friends.the other parents should not allow their children near this woman ever again,this is probably not over.

12. dad of 3   February 17, 2010 at 11:38 am

much better to have the kids sneak to an abandoned house, getting drunk, and driving home…. and of course all these kids were orphans and didn’t have parents of their own to be responsible for their behavior… whatever happened to PERSONAL accountability (yes, even for teenagers.)

13. ?????   February 17, 2010 at 2:01 pm

dad of 3,have you ever let your kids go to someone else’s house?

14. fallbrook mom   February 17, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I agree with dad of 3 with respect to accountability also applying to the teens. I would like to know if the teens’ parents knew where they were going and who they were with. Maybe they should be also be held accountable.

I think that justice has been served here. The reader’s above comments about fining $5k per teen are ridiculous. What will that really solve? I am fairly certain that this mom will not be hosting any more booze fests in future.

15. Ray (the real one)   February 17, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I don’t blame Gibney for accepting a deal. Today in our "for profit" judicial syatem a defendant must consider taking a deal or paying thousands of dollars proving their innocence. Sometimes it’s better to take the deal and worry about it later. In my case last year, I took a deal, got three years probation, no fine, no community service because of some over zealous recently stationed deputy from detention who lacks the skills to do his job effectively. Next month, I get my charge "expunged" like it never happened and all is back to normal. Remember folks, justice today is "for profit" nothing more. There is always some assistant district attorney trying to make a name for themselves or some deputy looking for "stripes" at your expense or your freedoms. Justice today is who you know or how much money your willing to spend which determines if your free or locked in a cage.

16. resident   February 17, 2010 at 2:44 pm

#12 dad of 3: Well, well, well, finally one of Gibney’s friends surfaces for the ridiculous defense of “personal accountability”. Give me a break!! These are kids and we all know that some kids experiment with drinking and drugs. We, as adults, and parents, are supposed to be the responsible ones who do not provide them a venue to do that. Mrs. Gibney should have been an impediment to these kids and their desire to drink/get stoned. But instead she said, “Welcome aboard the Titanic, let’s all drowned together after the party is over.”

She is a disgrace. Her behavior is indefensible. Kids are going to try to find any place to drink/get stoned. But, if we, as responsible adults, keep putting up roadblocks in front of them and making it harder on them to do so, perhaps we can prevent another needless death in this town of a drunk teen. Remember the last one? That was also a parent who allowed drinking in their home.

Dad of 3, how could you not get that? How could you defend this human being? She has ignored the health and safety of kids. Personal accountability is taught by example. Mrs. Gibney FAILED to do that and she should be in jail. Period, end of story.

17. Mom who thinks everyone needs a reality check   February 17, 2010 at 2:45 pm

i think everyone is over reacting..kids are going to drink she just rather have them at home than out driving drunk…where are the other parents who let their kids go drink and get wasted??? i dont see them being charged for being bad parents…all you think your kids are perfect and would never drink and party..news flash…come back to reality…
    am not saying what she did is right but its gettin blown way out there…

18. cityzen   February 17, 2010 at 3:22 pm

#17 mom, Do you get your kids and their friends drunk or stoned in the privacy of your residence?

19. It happens   February 17, 2010 at 3:22 pm

was every teen at the party arrested? were all parents notified? and if so why werent all parents fined… yes, with majority of the blame going to the owner of the house the facilitated the party. Let’s put all of our children in a bubble and dont let them out til they are 21. isnt there a law where if a kid gets caught graffiting anywhere that the parent has to pay?? So , why not as an extention of that law , fine all the underage drinkers parents? just saying

20. caln8tive   February 17, 2010 at 3:22 pm

No parent "lets’ their kid go get drunk…we all want our kids to not do that but we all know they will. It is part of growing up. It is up to us, the adults who need to teach our kids properly. They KNOW it is wrong and Gibney knew that as well. She wanted to be the "cool" parent. How would she feel if one of her kids went to someone else’s home and then had to be taken to the hospital drunk or worse die from poisoning? She would be all over the parents. Also, how many roadside memorials do we drive by every day due to the kids drinking and driving? I can think of at least 4 and I know for sure they were from DUI. What a shame…

21. cityzen   February 17, 2010 at 3:22 pm

#17 mom, obviously none of YOUR children were at the party. we dont exspect our children to act like adults all the time thats why we want ADULT supervision when they go to friends houses.Mrs. Gibney didn’t act like a good parent. no one over reacted, the courts under reacted!

22. Fallbrook Res   February 17, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Man arrested at Fallbrook Hospital

Fallbrook resident Ray Carney, 47, was arrested at approximately 3 p.m. on Monday afternoon, March 2, 2009 at Fallbrook Hospital when he exhibited a stun gun and would not relinquish it to law enforcement officers upon demand. FBVN

Both of you Pled GUILTY for the deal.

23. Rob H.   February 17, 2010 at 10:54 pm

(same disclaimer: my comments are about the issue, not the Gibney case)
    dad wrote: "much better to have the kids sneak to an abandoned house, getting drunk, and driving home…. " Really?
    Look, it’s not about the driving. Alcohol is the #1 date rape drug, and it’s illegal to drink if you’re under 21. How would you feel if someone allowed teens to consume Rohypnol, another illegal drug, as long as they didn’t let the kids drive afterward. Dad, ask yourself why kids feel the need to drink anywhere? Could it be that they’ve been bombarded with alcohol ads all their lives? Ads that tell them that it’s impossible to have fun unless they have a red cup in their hand? Compare how many beer ads your child has seen, with how many times you’ve talked to them about the real problems associated with alcohol.
    Compared to non-drinkers, teen drinkers are more likely to get STDs, to have unplanned and unprotected sex, to be forced into sex, to become parents (yeah, I put all the sex stuff first because it gets people’s attention), to drop out of school, to have lower grades, to not finish college, to have lifelong problems with alcohol and other drugs, to get into a car with a driver who’s been drinking….the list goes on.
    If you think you can have a party at your house where kids are drinking, and you can keep it under control, think again. If you think that you’re a responsible adult, and your mere presence in the house will prevent all the crap I listed above, good luck with that. You are facilitating all of these problems, pure and simple.
    And you have NO business imposing your beliefs on someone else’s children. That’s why the social host laws exist. These laws they protect the rights of parents to decide where and when their children drink.
    As for teens being held responsible for their own actions, consider this. Adults are role models. If a parent tells a child not to drink, but another adult says it’s okay, the second adult is undermining the authority of the parent. You wouldn’t put up with that from your spouse…so why should you tolerate it from a neighbor, a frat boy, or the pedophile down the street?

24. Rob H.   February 17, 2010 at 10:54 pm

(Disclaimer: This is about the issue in general, not the Gibney case)
    "Kids are going to drink, no matter what." Yolanda, why is that?
    Actually, most kids don’t drink.
    But the problem is that some kids do drink, especially when adults allow them to, or encourage them to drink. And things have changed since you were a kid. We know a lot more about alcohol’s effects on young people. And we also know that alcohol is linked to the five leading causes of death for people between 12 and 25 years old. We also know that when teenagers drink, they are much more likely to binge drink, compared to adults. And we know that a kid who starts drinking at 15 is FIVE times more likely to have alcohol problems later in life, compared to someone who starts drinking at 21.
    Hopefully, this case will help people to take a look at their beliefs, do a little research, and see whether what you thought you "knew" is really accurate.

25. justwondering   February 18, 2010 at 8:08 am

wow..300.00!! Thats equivalent to not wearing your seatbelt while talking on your cell phone!

26. FB mom   February 18, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Most of the teens I know wouldnt bother going to a party unless drinking was allowed. Yep, even the "good" kids 🙂 Parents relent and allow the drinking at their home. I cannot believe some of the parents I have known to do this. They of course would be considered top notch parents, involved parents, PTA parents. Nope…WEAK parents. And whats scary is there is never a shortage of these parties. Every single weekend. I went to many a party when i was a teen but I dont recall ever seeing someones parents there. That would have been akward and me and my friends would have left. My kids can hate me all they want now, they’ll love me later. I know my kids go to parties, I know they drink sometimes but Im not gonna be the one promoting or encouraging it.

27. Single Mother of 3   February 19, 2010 at 7:33 am

I’ve got 3 daughters I’ve raised alone. It’s a real hard job, but I’ve done the best I could. I’ve had a lot of problems with my youngest daughter and her partying friends. She will go out at night to parties against my wishes and I know she is drinking. I have no support, not even with the Sheriff Department. It seems that when the sheriff comes up with a kid under 18 years old that has been drinking there is not much that they do. Maybe if you are lucky they will call you and have you pick them up. I was hoping that they would take her to Juvenile Hall but they don’t. I was told by the Sheriff Department that Juvenile Hall will not accept a child who has been drinking because they are afraid the child could die or become seriously ill and they don’t want to have to deal with it (Lawsuits I guess). Back in the 70’s when I was a teen if you got caught you went to the hall and then you had to deal with the courts. We learned pretty fast that if you wanted to act like an adult then you could pay like one. What this county needs are more programs for kids who misbehave and punishments for them. The only way kids can go to the hall now a days is for the parents to pay the bill. Since the county seems to be so broke why can’t the sheriffs catch these kids drinking and put them to work doing community service in jails, hospitals or morgues where they can see just were they could end up?

28. Tony   February 19, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Give me a break Kids are going to drink when ever and where ever they want. Growing up ion the 70

29. Terri   February 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm

"justice today is… how much you are willing to spend", WOW ain’t that the truth. The restaurant owner that was drunk driving and totalled our taxi and injured our passenger must have spent a LOT of money because he can only afford to pay restitution of $100 month split three ways. Now he even is able to afford to open yet another restaurant!! You call that justice??? Boycott pizza everyone.

30. Fallbrook Res   February 19, 2010 at 3:39 pm

#29
    That is sick what happened, Iam with you.
    Sometimes individual power is THEPOWER If I find out what pizza joint it is NO money from me.

31. Pink   February 19, 2010 at 3:40 pm

To Just Wondering: I think she accepted the plea deal because had she gone to trial and been found guilty the fine would have been allot more. As I understand it Ms. Gibney didn’t supply the alcohol, she had a party for her daughter where no alcohol was served, the kids who were drinking crashed the party and brought their own booze. The question should be who gave the alcohol to the kids? Their parents, an older sibling/friend, a liquor store selling to minors? Those people need to be held accountable as well. Where Ms. Gibney made her big mistake was in trying to handle the situation herself. She should have called the cops and reported them but she didn’t want to embarrass her daughter or the kids. Like too many parents today she wanted to be the "cool" parent. What parents like that do not understand is that no one over the age of 25 can be "cool". That train has left the station.

32. FlbrkMom   February 22, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Did any of you see the article in the Union Tribune today?? Check out Logan Jenkins article – you can find it on http://www.signonsandiego.com – click on News – the over to Columnists – Logan Jenkins. Big article on this story.

33. Other mom   February 24, 2010 at 5:33 pm

All I can say is Logan Jenkins must be her brother. My guess is she took a guilty plea because she didn’t want anyone to hear what some of the kids were going to say in their testimony. And there is usually a harsher sentence for those found guilty than those that plead guilty.

34. mom of a kid at party   February 26, 2010 at 10:37 am

I am a mother of one of the kids at the party. My son has gone to this womans house for years, I had no idea this kind of crap was going on, she did not get what she deserved she’s damned lucky my son didn’t die that night. I have never liked her, she sticks her nose in everyone’s business and acts like she’s mother of the year. I am beyond angry. As usuall she takes other peoples children and does what she wants with them. She is a mental case!!!