PALOMAR MOUNTAIN – A motorcyclist was severely injured in a crash along South Grade Road today, May 4.

Cal Fire Battalion Chief Ray Cheney said it happened about 1:30 p.m.

“A solo motorcyclist was critically injured in an accident on South Grade Road near Highway 76 and was transported by helicopter to Palomar Hospital for treatment,” Cheney said.

South Grade Road is a windy road with tight curves renowned for its scenic beauty on the way up to Palomar Mountain and its signature observatory.

10 Responses to "Motorcyclist severely injured in solo crash while traveling up to Palomar Mountain"

1. Fallbrook Rider   May 4, 2013 at 10:57 pm

It’s harder to crash going "up" hill, I wonder what happened to make him go down? "Solo" is not a good word when you need help. I hope it didn’t take long for help to be called. Speedy recovery to you.

2. ZX10R Rider   May 5, 2013 at 1:29 am

I was there he was actually going down the mountain. He locked up his rear and high sided into a rock. Not a pretty sight. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

3. De Luz Neighbor   May 5, 2013 at 6:39 am

The South Grade is indeed a beautiful stretch of road. I used to ride my bicycle from Fallbrook to Mother’s Restaurant at the top of the mountain and back.

It was very common to see bikers picking themselves off the ground and checking out the damage to their bikes.

The tight turns on that road are perfect for pushing and testing the bike’s limits at something short of insane speeds.

It always struck me as odd that they would wave at each other as they passed but never once waved at me or other bicyclists.

4. Highway 76 Resident   May 5, 2013 at 7:27 am

I wonder if he was on a Harley or a rice burner? It has been my continuous observation that the individuals who ride the Suzukis, Yamahas (rice burner race bikes) are often reckless in their driving habits. We see (and hear) them speeding up and down the 76 every weekend – often passing vehicles on the double yellow line – taking the curves way too fast. A few months ago I was overtaken by two motorcyclists (while driving the speed limit between Pauma and Pala casinos) who cut around and zoomed past me even though there was oncoming traffic headed toward us. Both narrowly missed clipping my front end as they sped by. Just a matter of time before a horrific accident along the 76 occurs due to their foolish, macho behavior. While I hope this rider makes a fast and full recovery, I’m glad that no one else was injured.

5. #4   May 6, 2013 at 11:16 am

"Rice burners" as you call them, are not the only ones who ride stupid. The harley riders are not model riders either, when they come up next to your window and rev their straight pipes – so F’ing annoying. We know you have a loud exhaust – get over yourself. Nice to know they can have a completely open/straight exhaust, but if a car/truck has a slightly loud exhaust, the cops are all over you.

6. Wrenchers   May 6, 2013 at 3:03 pm

"but if a car/truck has a slightly loud exhaust, the cops are all over you."

#4, You obviously haven’t been to Fallbrooks’ "Open Header Night",
    or Escondidos’ Cruisin Grand "Alcohol Dragster Night".

It makes Harleys sound like 3 HP Briggs and Strattons. :>)
    "Ain’t no replacement for displacement".

7. RE #5   May 6, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Completely agree!

8. Anonymous   May 6, 2013 at 10:35 pm

This was accident was my closest friends son & yes tragically he did not survive the accident. Remarks about foolish behavior is completely out of line regardless of any reason the accident was caused. Lets only hope you never have to endure the pain of such a tragedy involving one of your loved ones.

9. grunt   May 7, 2013 at 9:13 pm

@8 – sorry for your lost, however, remarks about foolish behavior are completely in line. Had he been practicing safe and sane behavior, he would be alive. Maybe some one will recognize this, change their behavior. Then his lost of life may have served a purpose.

10. Emily Chaney   January 10, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Hello, Im the daughter. Here’s a story: I remember when my dad had his radio on and I was just leaving for school and I heard what happened. I was kinda shocked for the first time. It scares me when people get into those accidents!