Motorcyclist sustains major injuries in single-vehicle Valley Center crash

VALLEY CENTER – A motorcyclist sustained major injuries in a single-vehicle crash today in Valley Center, authorities said.

A witness called for help shortly before 2 p.m. and reported the motorcycle down in the roadway on Old Castle Road near Mauka Drive, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The rider was taken by ambulance to a hospital, according to Cal Fire.

A tow truck was called for the wrecked motorcycle and the roadway was cleared shortly before 2:30 p.m., the CHP said.

9 Responses to "Motorcyclist sustains major injuries in single-vehicle Valley Center crash"

1. Lauren C   July 14, 2013 at 9:16 pm

We have been notified that the motorcyclist had since died at Palomar Hospital!

2. Me   July 15, 2013 at 9:16 am

Jeez….4th death in a little over a year.

I drive that road very frequently…and 55 mph seems a bit fast for that stretch.

3. Jessica   July 15, 2013 at 9:17 am

Aw that makes me sad. My boys and I stayed with him til the ambulance arrived. My oldest talked to him a little bit. This is gonna break his heart. :-(

4. Dan   July 15, 2013 at 10:11 am

This is apparently very near the location of a July 28, 2012 motorcyclist death. I would be interested in CHP view of common factors in the two crashes. Is there an issue county roads should be looking at?

5. Rob   July 15, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I think drivers think the road goes on straight if they look straight ahead from a distance, not realizing the upcoming tight corner, although the sign for a bend to the left is there. Speed and or under the influence, driving are most likely in these cases. Very sad just the same. A stop sign halfway along the straight, just to get the traffic to stop, for a while, or speed bumps should fix the problem. I have people tailgating me and overtaking me on the double yellow lines all the time.

6. dolly anderson   July 15, 2013 at 4:03 pm terribly sad. Old Castle has tons of accidents and the other people are correct, they tailgate you and pass on double lines constantly if yr’re going the correct speed SO….I hardly ever seen sheriff or police on that road and I travel it 4 times daily too…what’s up with that? Oh, also they are usually on their cells doing all this. This can all be prevented with some cars patroling this area. Lets save some lives here, could be a baby or youngsters next with their whole lives ahead of them.

7. fallbrookian   July 15, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Another motorcycle fatality — there’s about one a day in the county. It’s a very dangerous way to travel even if unsafe riding is not a factor.

8. letter carrier   July 17, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Any new updates?? My fellow letter carriers that ride motorcycles are wondering

9. Suzy   July 22, 2013 at 11:48 am

This is getting crazy …. 2012 we had the motorcyle death here on Mauka and Old Castle "RIP". Then earlier this month we had an elderly couple who walked up and down Old Castle for many years that were hit and killed near Mauka and Old Castle "RIP" they were hit by a drunk driver at 6 am in the morning… Then this new motorcylce accident was just a week after the elderly couple were hit and killed and in the same area as the memorial is for the elderly couple… I hear this man has passed away… "RIP" AND… wait… there is still more….. Just yesterday someone hit two telephone poles on Mauka and Old Castle and knock one totally down… SDE@G were here replacing poles and connecting wires all after noon… what is so weird is were these accidents are happening it’s a straight road no curves on Old Castle there…