Noise levels to increase Saturday on Camp Pendleton

CAMP PENDLETON – Camp Pendleton units will be conducting Mine Clearing Line Charge exercises Saturday, May 18, from 6 a.m. to noon.

Mine Clearing Line Charges are 1,750 pounds of linked C-4 (Composition C) explosives used to create a breach in minefields under combat conditions.

Depending on atmospheric conditions, the sound of the explosions may be amplified and heard up to 50 miles away.

For future inquiries regarding increased noise levels, please refer to the weekly noise advisories posted on the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton Web site at http://www.pendleton.marines.mil/About/BaseInformation/NoiseAdvisory.aspx.

40 Responses to "Noise levels to increase Saturday on Camp Pendleton"

1. Jon Holland   May 20, 2013 at 7:35 am

The sound of FREEDOM

2. Me   May 20, 2013 at 9:45 am

For the love of God, can we just get by one day without somebody posting that stupid comment?

Talk about a sheep mentality.

3. Surprise   May 20, 2013 at 10:02 am

I’m kind of surprised they are still doing these kind of things. My son, who works on a military contract, tells me that even profitable military programs are being cut because they don’t even want to give the appearance that they have any money. Doesn’t the government know that when we hear these explosions we will know that they really have money to burn?

4. I agree #2   May 20, 2013 at 10:18 am

#1 "the sound of …" stfu already, we know… we know… but do you have to repeat it ever da*n time this story comes out!?

5. Pink   May 20, 2013 at 10:19 am

Here we go again…..LOL

6. dragon@hart   May 20, 2013 at 4:12 pm

And right below the Noise Advisory is the Wind Advisory that can ignite the crap they’re blowing up and start another wildfire that threatens everybody. Can’t these Marine’s read a weather forecast BEFORE they start blowing things up & starting fires?

7. Fallbrook Local   May 21, 2013 at 1:02 pm

@dragon@hart….
    I am pretty sure these exercises are planned long in advance, so the weather isn’t cooperating with the Marines…..not the other way around.

8. Proud Marine   May 21, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Thank you Fallbrook Local. I mean, it isn’t like the Marines say “oh goody there is going to be a Santa Ana condition, lets shoot off the rockets”. I sometimes think that all these negative people commenting here just want to complain so any old subject they can wring their hands and cry about will do. Be glad you all aren’t in Oklahoma right now you bunch of sissies.

9. Preston   May 21, 2013 at 7:18 pm

@ Jon Holland
    It might sound like the sound of freedom to you but sounds like a huge waste of money to me. When is the last time we won a war???
    We are doing a lot of stupid stuff in this country and paying a huge price for it so perhaps we need to reconsider our activities because they are not working.

10. Redneck Bill   May 21, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Just some random thoughts for you Christians to consider:

Afghanistan is one of the most mined countries on the planet. I know all us flag waving, engaged Americans are 100% behind our troops, so it seems becoming proficient in clearing mines might be a wise thing prior to sending Marines to Afghanistan. You know Marines are still deploying to Afghanistan, right? Is it reasonable to train them so they can be as safe and prepared as possible? Is it OK to do mine clearing exercises here at Camp Pendleton prior to our Marines deploying to Afghanistan?

It is to me, but I’m just a dumb redneck, so I’m asking.

Another thought I have often is, what if it was your kid deploying? Would the smoke and noise bother you as much as it does now? Can you even imagine your child not only deploying, but, God forbid, losing his life?

Things are black and white for me. It can be difficult at times, but like my buddy Popeye says, "I yam what I yam."

I think if those complaining were able to focus on what sacrifices our Marines have made and continue to make, they would feel pretty small about complaining about noise or smoke, or anything short of their going to war.

We’re all influenced by our experiences. If all you’ve experienced of Marines is smoke and noise from Camp Pendleton, you probably have one opinion. If you’ve seen Marines die before your eyes in training exercises like I have, you probably have another.

I’m sorry, but for the life of me I can not understand the apathy, lack of understanding and selfishness of those who complain about Marines training to go off to war.

11. grunt   May 21, 2013 at 9:48 pm

@preston. crushed Iraq, 4th Largest army in the world, twice. then shifted from war to peace building, that we do not do well; but war – what they are training for, that we do well.

12. Me   May 22, 2013 at 7:46 am

But..but…but……Fallbrook Local…I thought the Marines were able to adapt to any situation…like NOT risking a catastrophe by blowing up bombs on Red Flag Days…..

The weather "isn’t" cooperating?……you don’t do it.

This isn’t brain surgery here..oh that’s right…I”m talking about Marines here…..

13. The Truth   May 22, 2013 at 8:39 am

@ Preston you don’t really believe that do you? We have to have a trained, capable military with all the top weapons and bombs, we can get. This is not fantasy land. Where everyone is handing out candy and cupcakes! There are a lot of people out there that want to do harm to us, even take us over. It’s nice to know they think twice about attacking us, because of our strong military. There is a lot of countries, if you don’t like America go find somewhere else to hang your hat son.

14. Me   May 22, 2013 at 10:38 am

Why do these “patriots” like The Truth…inevitably end their rambling posts with “if you don’t like it, go somewhere else?”

Probably because these same “patriots” forget that we as Americans… have the right to complain about the government…the military…and any other thing we want to complain about.

And Redneck Bill….. Exaggerate much? NOBODY here is saying the military shouldn’t train……we just expect them to use a little common sense when doing so.

15. Curious   May 22, 2013 at 11:02 am

I really have to agree, in part, with Proud Marine on this one. What are you people complaining about? A little noise? Seriously? You all need to find something to do with your time, you are a waste of space. As for "Me", he ALWAYS seems to have negative comments about, what some might consider "manly jobs". He appears to hate both firemen and Marines. It makes me wonder if he was perhaps turned down by both of those professions. I could be wrong, but I’m sensing some serious envy from him here.

16. The Truth   May 22, 2013 at 11:52 am

Look the base has been right where it is since 1942. I am pretty sure a lot of you have not been in the area that long. If you moved close to a military base in the first place, common sense says, you are going to have to hear some noise, deal with fires/smoke and just training accidents in general. I mean come on it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

17. Me   May 22, 2013 at 11:54 am

Oh yeah Curious….I’ve always dreamed of being a Marine…

Let’s see….shaving my head and living with men….where do I sign?

But please excuse me for just expecting some common sense from a government entity….

Oh what am I saying?

18. Pink   May 22, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Oh come on Me, fess up. You complain about the Marines in summer AND winter and all months in between, it has nothing to do with the fire danger, you would complain about the noise if it were raining. You live next to Camp Pendleton, they were here first. Get over it. Whine, whine, whine. Geez, that is as annoying to me as the "sound of freedom" is to you. BTW, it takes a lot more than just shaving your head to cut it in the Corps, and I’m pretty sure you don’t have what it takes. Not to worry though, in this world there are those who do the job and those who do nothing but complain about it.

19. Me   May 22, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Sorry Pink. I don’t live next to Camp Pendleton. As for the Corps, I failed the entrance exam….I was too intelligent……Bye bye Gomer.

20. Pink   May 22, 2013 at 7:27 pm

@Me: I find it easy to believe that you failed the entrance exam, I find it hard to believe that you were too intelligent.

If you don’t live near Camp Pendleton why are you complaining about the noise? I live about 3 miles from the weapons station gate and I can barely hear them at my house, even at the worst of times it isn’t that bad. BTW a 50 mile radius is considered close to a military installation as far as noise and air traffic are concerned. Guess you didn’t do your home work when you bought your fancy house huh?

21. momz   May 22, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Really??? people are going to complain about a day of some noise, what about the families that cry daily for the lost of there child to protect us? Would you complain about that too ? Selfish fools. God Bless American and are Men and Women that put there life in danger for us. Thank you for all you do for the protection of my family and friends.

22. Wizard of Fallbrook   May 23, 2013 at 4:39 am

The bombing does get crazy sometimes, but it’s the fires that is getting out of hand on the base….another Fallbrook summer will tell if we get smoked out again from the base….

23. Preston   May 23, 2013 at 6:49 am

@The Trouth
    Do you believe that bombing Iraq has made us safer? How comfortable do you feel about the security our borders? How many threats do you think have infiltrated our country while we have been busy making friends bombing overseas? You are correct, there are a lot of people out there that want to do harm to us, even take us over… and they are not going to do it from Iraq, they are going to do it from right here.
    By the way, what do you think has made (so many people) angry and want revenge against the United States?

24. Carla   May 23, 2013 at 7:31 am

Radically reduce US military spending. Defang and declaw the US military – no more use of American troops and lives in unending wars of neo-colonialist oppression to line the pockets of the looter classes. Put Bush, Cheney and Rice on trial before an International War Crimes Tribunal in the Hague for crimes against humanity.

Jobs, education, and infrastructure, NOT BOMBS!

25. Me   May 23, 2013 at 10:37 am

Pink…Just because you don’t hear it…doesn’t mean others don’t.

Do some research about geology and topography and get back to us.

26. The Truth   May 23, 2013 at 11:03 am

@ Preston You only see the crown of the tree. You must dig in the dirt to see the roots.

27. Pink   May 23, 2013 at 12:02 pm

@Me…. for the (hopefully) last time…. I DON’T CARE if you hear it!!!!!

As for research, you should have done that BEFORE you moved within that 50 mile radius. I actually noticed Camp Pendleton was next door when we moved here. As someone else suggested, please have a slice of cheese with your whine.

28. Me   May 23, 2013 at 12:12 pm

@Pink…And I don’t care if you DON’T hear it.

Fifty mile radius huh Gomer?

29. grunt   May 23, 2013 at 2:46 pm

"too intelligent" is the code word recruiters use when they mean "no b***s. Keeps the wimps happy.

30. Pink   May 23, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I never said I don’t hear it "Me", I said the noise isn’t that bad and even when it is, it doesn’t bother me. I believe there are more important things in life to worry about than a little noise, but then I’m not a petty little person who complains about everything and likes to call people silly little names. I would suggest that you invest in a pair of ear muffs and stop seeing the glass half empty all the time. Have a great Memorial Day weekend. Be safe.

31. Preston   May 23, 2013 at 3:10 pm

@ The Truth
    I’m an Avocado Rancher so see plenty of roots.
    Also have had sizable stake in the back bone of this Country for 43 years.
    How about answering my questions…

32. Me   May 23, 2013 at 3:55 pm

@Pink… I can’t. I am lactose intelorant. Thanks though.

33. Me   May 23, 2013 at 3:56 pm

"intolerant"

34. Pink   May 23, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Gosh Me, I understand that you are intolerant, you didn’t have to say it twice to make your point….. (-:

35. Me   May 23, 2013 at 8:30 pm

There is a fake Me posting to Pink………I love lactose.

Signed…the REAL Me.

36. Pink   May 23, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Will the real "Me" please stand up?

37. The Truth   May 24, 2013 at 7:49 am

@ Preston If you really want me to answer all your questions, in all seriousness. Give me 1% of everything you have.

38. please   May 24, 2013 at 9:51 am

Will the REAL Me please stand up… please stand up… :^) Looks like we have another "real". Me (the real one)

39. Me   May 24, 2013 at 11:07 am

No relation to Ray (the real one)….

40. Preston   May 24, 2013 at 8:02 pm

@ The Trouth
    You know, I believe I only asked four questions — I didn’t think you would answer any of them but asking for a handout really surprised me.