Pedestrian killed crossing S. Mission

FALLBROOK – An accident investigation was under way today in a Fallbrook, where a 62-year-old motorcyclist fatally struck a pedestrian.

The fatality on South Mission Road near Clemmens Lane occurred about 6:45 p.m. Thursday, according to California Highway Patrol Officer Jim Bettencourt.

The motorcyclist, a Fallbrook man on a 1977 BMW R100, struck a man while riding at around 45 miles per hour, he said in a statement.

The pedestrian was attempting to cross South Mission Road in a dark area and was not in a crosswalk, according to Bettencourt, who said he died at the scene. Paramedics took the motorcyclist to Palomar Medical Center in Escondido to be treated for moderate injuries.

Neither alcohol nor drugs appeared to have been factors in the crash, Bettencourt said.

34 Responses to "Pedestrian killed crossing S. Mission"

1. local   October 11, 2013 at 8:23 am

Wish there were more details about this accident. My mother went to school that evening and people in her class showed up late to tell her this was a very serious accident. Does anybody know more about the victim?

2. noise   October 11, 2013 at 8:35 am

Is that what was going in last night?

3. ZZZ   October 11, 2013 at 9:03 am

I was there, very sad. Pedestrians don’t realize in their dark clothing, we can not see them. I’ve had near misses, car lights aren’t flood lights.

4. Wow   October 11, 2013 at 10:12 am

This is why you should use a cross walk people!! This could have very easily been avoided very sad when the cross walk was a couple yards away

5. kma   October 11, 2013 at 10:53 am

Tough to see that body bag left in the road, last night…

6. FR86   October 11, 2013 at 1:57 pm

People that live in the center of the village need to take this tragedy as a warning to stop crossing outside marked crosswalks. The problem is particularly bad on Mission by the KFC and Main Street in the area of the Mcdonald’s toward Alvorado. People frequently with children or toddlers in strollers or both are J-Walking and routinely bolt across in front of traffic………Drivers be aware.

7. Pedestrian   October 11, 2013 at 3:34 pm

FR66 Have you seen the new light going in at Aviation? About time.

Unless any of you walk the streets here in Fallbrook you do not understand really how it is. The reason so many cross there is because you either have to walk up to Ammunition or up the hill to Fallbrook street to cross. Not saying that J walking is right, but I can speak from experience that I have had more near misses crossing in crosswalks by cars that just cannot wait or cars running thru red lights.

Drivers have no patience and are angry a lot of times. Good example is crossing at Fallbrook street. The walk signal tells you to cross while the left hand turn people are turning so a lot of them don’t give a hoot and practically mow you down turning left instead of waiting for you to cross or they creep up behind you and honk the horn as you are crossing, then while you have to deal with that, people turning right on the other side wont wait, even though the pedestrian has the right of way, they will turn right as you are nearly in the lane they are turning in to. They just do not care.

Not saying that each and every single driver does those things but many do. Not many have respect for pedestrians.

I’m suprised no one commented that the old man driver was speeding. The speed limit is 35mph not 50!

8. Me   October 11, 2013 at 4:39 pm

If a grown adult can’t cross a street….ANY street…… without getting hit by a car….well……Darwin…..

9. FR86   October 11, 2013 at 4:44 pm

To Pedestrian:

Good Point ……I’ve seen some careless drivers cruise right through marked crosswalks with a pedestrian just about to step into their path. Similarly with school buses stopped and flashing red lights many drivers just don’t stop as required.

FR86

10. Drove by   October 11, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I drove by what looked like a car in front of the market across from rite aid last night around 8pm and saw a car in one lane doors open and something in front of the car and a body bag behind the car.

Is this the same incident?

I was visiting so I’m not familiar with the area.

11. Person   October 11, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Well, I will respect other peoples opinion on this situation, however being a pedestrian in this town I have had many close encounters in getting struck by an automobile. There are drivers that don’t respect the cross sign so there’s no difference if we cross in the middle of the street or at the cross walk. I’m pretty sure at six it isn’t so dark unless that person needs glasses…just saying.

12. Queen   October 11, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I believe (if I am correct) it is not J walking to cross the street outside a crosswalk if there are not two of the same intersection signs i.e. one street has a stop sign and the next nothing then a light….etc…correct me if I am wrong, so not too sure this was J walking, speed limit is 35, but I sure as heck wouldn’t be out and about with no street lights in dark clothing…that being said, we aren’t sure what the whole deal was that went down…but a light at Ammunition is by far a needed one.

13. Resident   October 11, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I know the man that was killed. He was a good man and a good friend to my dad and I. May he rest in peace.

14. supernatural   October 11, 2013 at 10:12 pm

That’s the third fatal accident between cars/motorcycles and pedestrians that I know of since I moved here in 1989. I’m sure there are more that I don’t know about. This time of year, dark clothing, busy street, out of the cross walk….not good things. Sad.

15. METOO   October 12, 2013 at 1:05 pm

How do you know, the drive wasn’t going the speed limit can you say for sure he wasn’t going 35 they said maybe 45 I believe he was doing the speed limit of 35 or less. He didn’t look like he was driving that fast to me. So who is right the person who said he was at 45 or me who say he didn’t look like he was over 35 or less.

16. Pedestrian   October 12, 2013 at 4:13 pm

FR66: I agree! There is a school bus stop on my street with the lil red stop signs sticking out, red flashing lights on the bus and they drive around and pass. I heard its a expensive ticket if someone gets caught doing that.

Person: I wont cross Mission outside the crosswalk ever, its just too busy for enough cars to stay clear long enough to cross the entire street, I wont risk it. Other small less crowded streets yes but Mission, No.

Queen: There is a light at Ammunition, you are thinking of Aviation and Mission where they are installing a new light. Also, look up "jay walking" I have not seen anything like the definition that you are talking about.

17. Pedestrian   October 12, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Forgot to mention:

Drove By- Yes that was the accident and when I went by they had a yellow tarp only partially covering the body. Could see hands and arms. This was my view driving southbound on Mission, there were also a crowd of looky loos about 5 feet from the body. Looked like the Sheriffs dept was turning northbound traffic around before the Northgate Market.

18. Amigo   October 13, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I, too, knew the man. He worked for me every week. He was hard-working, trustworthy, and a friend. He was a very, very good human being who tried hard to make a living for his family back home. I will miss him greatly. Rest in peace, mi amigo….

19. Anon   October 14, 2013 at 4:33 am

Pedestrian: Queen is essentially correct….read section 21955 of the Vehicle Code…

20. DR DR   October 14, 2013 at 10:16 am

He wasn’t j-walking – he was walking across the street from rite-aid to northgate market-it’s dark, but more importantly, Clemens cross walk, with a light, is 30′ north of the accident. Unfortunately, this was avoidable.

21. ???   October 14, 2013 at 10:45 am

Older man crossing a street and gets hit. Something I thought you picked up as a child to look both directions, then look again. If you cross a street in a cross walk area and the little walking man lights up on the sign, you still have to look and pay attention.

22. FR86   October 14, 2013 at 11:30 am

To All here’s the California Vehicle Code regarding cross walks and responsibilities of drivers and pedestrians

V C Section 21950 Right of Way at Crosswalks

Right-of-Way at Crosswalks

21950. (a) The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.

(b) This section does not relieve a pedestrian from the duty of using due care for his or her safety. No pedestrian may suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard. No pedestrian may unnecessarily stop or delay traffic while in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.

(c) The driver of a vehicle approaching a pedestrian within any marked or unmarked crosswalk shall exercise all due care and shall reduce the speed of the vehicle or take any other action relating to the operation of the vehicle as necessary to safeguard the safety of the pedestrian.

(d) Subdivision (b) does not relieve a driver of a vehicle from the duty of exercising due care for the safety of any pedestrian within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection.

Amended Sec. 8, Ch. 833, Stats. 2000. Effective January 1, 2001.

23. momz   October 14, 2013 at 11:56 pm

lets not forget that this man was hit by a motorcycle, he may have not been paying attention and was looking for 2 headlights instead of one. The brain can play tricks on you and he might have not even seen the one head light of a motorcycle approaching. Be safe use a crosswalk

24. Fallbrook Mom   October 15, 2013 at 8:33 am

"Should have used a cross walk." Nice hindsight. Should have done a lot of things. Those types of comments are privileged and hateful. What we should do is recognize that even crossing at designated crosswalks, there is still a lot of risk. Especially from people driving up from de Luz with no consideration for the people who actually live in this town and have to walk to work or to grocery stores, or simply for enjoyment. There are many schools on the main roads and people still drive here so carelessly. Let’s add more lights, or at least a blinking lighted crosswalk. People’s lives are significantly more important than saving a few minutes time waiting at a cross walk.

25. Friend of a Friend   October 15, 2013 at 3:47 pm

The man who died is my friends dad’s cousin.

26. grunt   October 16, 2013 at 8:04 am

The problem with ped-vehicles is growing in Fallbrook; one reason may be that many of the "jaywalkers" are from a culture/country where it is accepted and expected and vehicles move slower. One reason is Fallbrook is rural in name only anymore; too many cars and too many people to support the non-lighed roads, no-sidewalks and no middle of intersection cross walks. Suggestions to improve. 1. Aks the Senior Citizen Patrol to issue warning tickets to jaywalkers – and actual Deputies to ticket. 2. Locate major crossing points and put in mid-block ped crossing. 3. Post signs warning against crossing outside a cross walk. 4. USE THE CROSS WALK – DON’T SAVE THE SHORT WALK.

27. Queen   October 16, 2013 at 10:58 am

Momz…"be safe use a crosswalk" more like be "safer" use a cross walk …. I have seen people get hit IN crosswalks, using them properly. As ??? said, look both ways, and as to CVC code says, driver reduce speed. Who knows what happened, I am sorry for the man that passed away and feel for his family. I also feel for the driver as he/she probably feels awful….sometimes accidents happen and it is just that simple. Guess it will all be figured out at some point. Be safe and careful, God bless.

28. Queen   October 16, 2013 at 11:03 am

Fallbrook Mom…not so sure I agree with your statement that "should have used a crosswalk" as being privileged and hateful…just don’t see the connection. Perhaps a bit callus but hateful is such a strong word to accuse one of being. Also, it isn’t just people driving up from de Luz with no consideration for those in town, it is also the many people here in town. Not sure if adding more lights or blinking crosswalks would help either. True, some need to slow down, but as said before, accidents sometimes just happen. Hope everyone is safe, lovely day today.

29. Casa de la Rosa   October 16, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I am wondering if the victims name is Louis? Does anyone know? I’ve heard sad news about Louis just now, he was a kind sweet man, my friend Louis.

30. momz   October 16, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Queen #27

I agree

31. grunt   October 16, 2013 at 8:24 pm

@Queen – "hateful" is like "racist"; it is the reply you make if you disagree (normally used by liberals), When you do not have an argument, or facts, you claim "hateful", "racist" or discriminatory. Being PC is supposed to shut up the debate.

32. Queen   October 17, 2013 at 10:15 am

@ Grunt….ahhh THAT’S my problem, I missed that class (PC)…dang!

33. FR86   October 17, 2013 at 4:41 pm

To Grunt

"normally used by liberals" ……….Seriously? You’re at it again.

This is a traffic accident; someone died and others lives was affected for ever.

FR86

34. grunt   October 17, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Just mentioning the comment on "hateful" speech. Look no further than POTUS and Congress these last few weeks- who called who arsonist, jihadist, etc? I can not recall any name calling by Republicans.