Pedestrian killed while crossing S. Mission Rd.

A 60-year-old male pedestrian was hit and killed by a motorcyclist on Thursday, Oct. 10 while attempting to cross South Mission Road near Clemmens Lane in Fallbrook.

Luis Nelasco Pedro of Bonsall was struck at about 6:45 p.m. that evening by 1977 BMW R100 being driven by a 62-year-old Fallbrook man.

California Highway Patrol public information officer Jim Bettencourt said the motorcyclist was traveling at about 45 miles per hour at the time the pedestrian was attempting to cross South Mission Road.

“It took place in a dark area and [the pedestrian] was not in a crosswalk,” said Bettencourt. “[The pedestrian] died at the scene.”

Paramedics were called to the scene and transported the motorcyclist to Palomar Medical Center in Escondido with moderate injuries.

Bettencourt said neither alcohol nor drugs appeared to have been factors in the crash.

12 Responses to "Pedestrian killed while crossing S. Mission Rd."

1. Lee   October 24, 2013 at 3:41 pm

How utterly sad!

2. Lee   October 24, 2013 at 4:26 pm

My dear fellow Fallbrookers, PLEASE slow down at the stretch of S. Mission (or anywhere else, for that matter). That stretch . . . ain’t the beginnin’ of the Daytona 500, cool?

SLOW DOWN!

3. grunt   October 24, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Fallbrook News, wish you had written this something " pedestrian in previously report motorcycle- pedestrian accident dies", else it may be misleading and though to be a second motorcyclist – pedestrian accident. (Yeah, I should have looked at the date closer).

4. flbkboy   October 25, 2013 at 7:53 am

Sounds like speed was an Issue if he was doing 45 MPH there…was the motorcyclist sigted for speeding? HE should have been….

5. Rogelio Rocha   October 25, 2013 at 9:09 am

He was going at 45mph in a 25 mph?

6. Flbrk resident   October 25, 2013 at 10:32 am

Wha this town needs is more street lights. There are so many dark streets. The other day while i was on Elder about to turn on Elbrook i almost hit 2 young ladies because i couldn’t see them, thank god i didn’t hit them but it was a close call.

7. fallbrook1   October 25, 2013 at 11:33 am

The pedestrian was in a poorly lit area and was not in a crosswalk. It is nobody’s fault but his own. Heck, this town caters to all these jaywalkers and law breakers. We even put in a totally unnecessary street light just because of how many jaywalkers (usually running across with strollers and children) there are in this town, yet they still don’t use the crosswalks provided. They are there for everyone’s safety. It’s unfortunate that the guy died but it could have easily been prevented. And now the motorcyclist has hospital bills and a damaged bike because of it.

8. Lee   October 25, 2013 at 12:08 pm

@ #6 Flbrk resident

I agree with you completely. We do need more street lights, and at that particular location, I believe, there aren’t enough of them. This is a great although tiny example when our government does not invest/spend money on WE, THE PEOPLE but on other sectors of society . . . like the boys next door!

9. Joemamma   October 25, 2013 at 7:56 pm

We don’t need more lights, we need less idiots. Almost every time I drive that section of Mission there is some idiot crossing just yards from the actual crosswalk, as if it is just TOO much to walk another 20 feet. I literally just saw this yesterday and thought of this story. In the middle of "rush hour" some guy just walked into the street and started across. A week ago it was a woman with a baby stroller and small child in tow. Maybe the cops should sit down there instead of 7/11 all day.

10. slow down   October 25, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Many people in this town dont give a darn about pedestrians. Some stupid lady a few years ago was talking on her cell phone, as I entered the crosswalk by albertsons with my daughter who was just five. Months old in her stroller. I waited for the sign to change to walk as i started across the intersection. This lady was impatient, and decided to go, even though I had thirteen more seconds to cross. Her car hit the front of the stroller. I was so pissed I slapped my hands on her windshield and shouted get off yor phone!She didnt even stop, and all these people were honking at her to stop because she smacked the stroller. One lady gave me the license number and I called in a hit and ru on her. Unbelievable.

11. SB   October 26, 2013 at 4:19 am

This is so sad, and I’m appalled at some of the comments. It’s not possible to walk safely in many parts of town. There are very few crosswalks, very few sidewalks, and very few street lights here. It’s not safe to walk in Fallbrook, and I think that’s a shame. Walking should be encouraged, not speeding through town at breakneck speed and darn the pedestrians. Good grief, people!

My deepest condolences to the gentleman’s family and friends.

12. LS   October 29, 2013 at 7:52 am

Let’s keep in mind that the estimation of 45mph came from a witness, not a radar gun or a police officer. It’s unlikely that another pedestrian could accurately judge the speed of a car moving by them.

Accident scene reconstruction experts are more likely to come up with a more accurate estimation of speed, so time will tell whether or not speed played one factor in this crash, and we’ll likely find out what all the contributing factors were.

My sympathies to the pedestrian’s family, and to the injured rider.