PETA demands Sea World release orcas, cites 13th amendment banning slavery

SAN DIEGO – Attorneys for the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals are scheduled to argue in federal court today against SeaWorld San Diego on behalf of some of the theme park’s killer whales.

PETA filed a lawsuit against SeaWorld last October, demanding that five orcas be released immediately on grounds that the 13th Amendment banning slavery should apply to animals.

”All five of these orcas were violently seized from the ocean and taken from their families as babies,” said PETA President Ingrid Newkirk upon filing the suit. ”They are denied freedom and everything else that is natural and important to them while kept in small concrete tanks and reduced to performing stupid tricks. The 13th Amendment prohibits slavery, and these orcas are, by definition, slaves.”

SeaWorld executives have called the suit a ”baseless” publicity stunt offensive to those the amendment was written to protect.

25 Responses to "PETA demands Sea World release orcas, cites 13th amendment banning slavery"

1. Me   February 6, 2012 at 9:11 am

Can you say LOONIE?

2. SB   February 6, 2012 at 11:20 am

Since they were taken from their mothers as babies, I think it would be an unkindness to return them to the wild now. They have lived in captivity all their lives and it would be a horrendous adjustment. But the practice of taking wild orcas, or any other wild animal, into captivity, by a zoo or private citizen, should definitely be questioned.

3. Julie   February 6, 2012 at 11:26 am

Well, while the phrase "violently seized as babies" makes me cringe at just the thought, we have been to SeaWorld numerous times over the past 20 years and as far as anyone can tell, these orcas are very well taken care of. It’s not like they were taken into captivity to have barbaric explorations done on them. They are fed well, loved, treated humane and so they perform tricks so what, the same could be said for my dogs I guess. They were taken to be pets in my home, they are fed well, loved, treated humane(dare I say spoiled?)and they perform tricks. Does this make them enslaved since they can’t roam needlessly looking for food and shelter? There are pros and cons to every side of every story. I definitely think PETA has a place and a purpose, but this one needs to be left alone!

4. sw   February 6, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I have to agree with Seaworld on this one. If PETA claims the 13th amendment…slavery, that would apply to just about any animal that cannot roam free. If I let my dog run free, as PETA would have me do (according to this article), he would be eaten my coyotes. What about farm anilams, pets, race horses, etc. etc.
    PETA’s attempt to take this to court is a frivolous law suit and prevents me from even considering donating to them. But, I guess if they have this kind of money to throw away, they don’t need any donations anyway.

5. Ray (the real one)   February 6, 2012 at 12:28 pm

OLD NEWS. That lawsuit was filed months ago and govered by the "drive by media".

6. Your cat   February 6, 2012 at 12:52 pm

DAY 752 – My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

DAY 761 – Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair… must try this on their bed.

DAY 762 – Slept all day so that I could annoy my captors with sleep depriving, incessant pleas for food at ungodly hours of the night.

DAY 765 – Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was… Hmmm. Not working according to plan …

DAY 768 – I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid. My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 771 – There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call "beer." More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 774 – I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The Bird on the other hand has got to be an informant. He has mastered their frightful tongue. (something akin to mole speak) and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I can wait, it is only a matter of time…

7. To Julie   February 6, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I understand your point, but, for those whales to be trapped in that tank for the rest of their lives is the equal to us living out our days in a bathtub.

8. Lee Chew   February 6, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Makes me wonder, why now?

9. Paul   February 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Really? come on i thought this was a joke. Sea world should be able to counter sue them for any cost assoicated with this stupid lawsuit. They should also be able to get damages, then maybe next time PETA wouldnt waste everybodys time with stupid lawsuits. They are Animals and last time i looked we are at the top of the food chain so we make the rules.

10. Catmother   February 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Julie-I like your thinking. I wonder if any of peta’s members owns a dog. It might do them some good.

11. Dave S.   February 6, 2012 at 2:55 pm

PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals), has once again pushed the envelope on the use of logical arguments. Did they actually see each one of these orcas taken violently? Or could some of them be orphaned and rescued at a young age from the predators of the sea and certain death? How does ingrid know our forefathers included animals in slavery? How does ingrid know that Sea World is not important to them? Or does she talk to the animals? Thank-you peta for yet another reason to find your group on the fringe of reality.

12. Joe Naiman   February 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm

If this was worthy of the Village News print version it would have given me an opportunity to interview science fiction/alternative history/libertarian fantasy writer L. Neil Smith. In the libertarian alternate universe of L. Neil Smith’s Probability Broach series the trigger for rights is sapience and cetacians have the same rights as humans and simians. L. Neil Smith addressed the dilemma between the property rights of slaveowners and the rights of men to be free by solving the slavery problem with a historical law banning slavery for all people born after the end of the following year, so slavery in the alternate universe was abolished by law rather than by constitutional amendment. It would have been interesting to speak with L. Neil Smith about this one.

13. IWonder   February 6, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I’ll bet a dollar to a donut that 99.9% of these nutcase PETA folks have no problem with late term abortions on human babies. The world has gone sideways and completely wacky.

14. pooh sticks   February 6, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I wonder if PETA would like to tell us how many seals and sea lions are alive today because five dangerous Orcas are out of circulation.

15. catmother   February 7, 2012 at 7:05 am

AND it brings a whole new meaning to the term "Plaintiff Whale".

16. Pessimistic   February 7, 2012 at 8:07 am

Thank you, ‘Your cat’, #6. LMAO. That brought great joy to yet another dreadful act of reality (this article and PETA in general).

‘To Julie’, #7, whales and other ANIMALS are NOT our "equal". The whales have no concept as to whether they are living in a "bathtub". But, in reality, it would be more like us living in a space the size of an average backyard swimming pool (if we are to keep the aquatic theme going). But, then again, many people live in studio apartments, or rent single bedrooms, which would equate to that comparison, and seem to do just fine.

and ‘IWonder’, #13, what you note in your comment is probably true with almost all of them; but then again I personally know a man who is a PETA and ACLU card carrier and is pro-abortion who also has a LOVE of guns and believes in the true definition of the 2nd Amendment (kind of a scary combo in itself when you think about it).

This world, but our own country in particular, gets turned upside down more and more every day! God help us…

17. to comment # 16   February 7, 2012 at 12:45 pm

People in studio apartments can open their fron door and leave. And because something is not our "equal" should it be allowed to suffer?
    According to research

18. 1st Air Cav   February 7, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I can’t wait to see that courtroom when the whales are called to the stand to testify.

19. Terry Leather   February 8, 2012 at 8:35 am

PETA is an annoying bunch, now trying to put SeaWorld out of business. To clear the air, I’ve done some crack research on them!

FUN FACTS ABOUT PETA

* PETA is an acronym that stands for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, but, when wrapped around sliced roasted lamb, they’re called GYRO, but I don’t know what that stands for.

* They think that animals, things that care not for Christian values and claw and bite with no sense of morality, should be treated "ethically". That’s because they’re hippies.

* They think people should be vegetarians, even though plenty of animals eat nothing but meat. Atkins dieters, every one of them.

* PETA has had links with the eco-terrorist group ELF, know for having the silliest name of all terrorist groups.

* Many members of PETA like animals more than people, but, ironically, it’s a scientifically proven fact that most animals dislike hippies.

By the way, when visiting Seaworld, be sure to stop by the restaurant for the "slow learner sandwich" special. mmmmm yum yum.

20. thought   February 8, 2012 at 9:38 am

God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages. ~Jacques Deval

21. MoonBat Alert   February 8, 2012 at 11:12 am

Haha, Judge Miller said he will consider the request by Sea World to dismiss this absurd and frivilous lawsuit, but gave no timeline for his decision. Now…Over to the BBC

"Five killer whales have been named as plaintiffs in a lawsuit which argues they deserve the same constitutional protection from slavery as humans.

Jeffrey Kerr, the lawyer representing the five whales, said:

22. Joking aside   February 8, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I don’t hold animals superior or even equal to humans. The whole case for behaving decently to animals rests on the fact that we are the superior species. We are the species uniquely capable of imagination, rationality, and moral choice – and that is precisely why we are under an obligation to recognize and respect the rights of animals.

23. Spurwing Plover   August 20, 2012 at 6:34 pm

These PETA wackos have been watching too many FREE WILLEY movies while sniffing glue theres deffenetly something wrong with their brains as in being pea sized

24. Pro-animal, anti-peta   August 27, 2012 at 11:26 am

Hey Psychopathic Evil Thugs for Animals… Looking forward to being sued by the very same quintet of Shamus you dragged into this crazy stupid frivolous lawsuit against their will for being dragged into a crazy stupid frivolous lawsuit against their will!

25. Spurwing Plover   October 14, 2012 at 10:09 am

These PETA jerks have been watching too many movies with animatronic talking animals in them their crazy and idiotic and keep our courts tied up in such nonsense PETA HOOKED ON STUPIDITY