Prop BB tentatively approved by voters – Bonsall waits for mail-in vote count

Fallbrook and Bonsall residents have tentatively approved Prop BB, a proposition that would allow the Bonsall Union School District (BUSD) to become unified and open its own high school.

The total amount of votes tallied as of end-of-day Nov. 15 were 18,029, with 52.56 percent (9,476) counted as yes, and 47.44 percent (8,553) counted as no.

According to the San Diego Registrar of Voters office, the 2012 election must be certified by Dec. 4. Election workers are currently hand counting mailed in ballots.

“We have thousands of ballots left, and we are counting about 40 to 50 thousand ballots a day,” said an official from the registrar’s office. “We should be done by either the middle or end of the week of Nov. 19, but it will not be official until it is certified.”

As the ballots are being counted, the Fallbrook Union High School District (FUHSD) and BUSD are waiting expectantly for the official tally to be announced.

“At this point the indications are that Bonsall unification has been approved by the voters,” said Dale Mitchell, FUHSD superintendent. “I have asked the Registrar of Voters for voting details because of the discrepancy regarding one ballot for Bonsall attendance area voters and two ballots for Fallbrook and Vallecitos attendance area voters. If the discrepancy is significant, we may want to contest the election results. Meanwhile, we are in a holding pattern until the above information is known.”

Justin Cunningham, BUSD superintendent, stated that his district was aware of problems occurring at the registrar’s office, and was still optimistic.

“We had been told by the Registrar of Voters there won’t be an official tally for Prop BB until Dec. 4,” he said. “Until then, we are gathering all the information needed to move forward. Part of that gathering of information and next step will be to attend the Special Board Meeting at Fallbrook High.”

Jennifer Leung, the chair for the Yes on Prop BB group, stated that supporters for the proposition are trying to temper their emotional response to the outcome.

“We don’t want to get excited yet; we want it to be official,” said Leung. “It seems like it’s going to pass. We look every evening to see if they have updated their numbers, but there are still votes to count. It makes sense that since this is a very local thing on the ballot that we have to count all the absentee and provisional votes, but I thought we would know on that Tuesday. It’s draining on patience.”

Leung stated that the process has been a learning experience. Though the elections have finished, there is still plenty to do.

“Officially, our duties include communicating with everybody about the results, and once the registrar has certified the vote, we will take down websites and get the last paperwork. I would imagine we will celebrate, but we are not talking about that quite yet.”

“If/when Bonsall unification is official, we wish the best to the Bonsall school district as it strives to meet the educational needs of all of the students residing in its attendance area,” said Mitchell.

Leung believes that the Fallbrook and Bonsall community is strong, and will thrive, regardless of the election outome.

“I know the tendency is to separate Fallbrook and Bonsall, but that’s not how I see this. The point of this proposition was to have another option, supporting each other,” she said. “I did not intend for this to be a devisive thing. It may have been naïve of me to have thought that, but the motivator was to have another option. We should be celebrating both of our schools, and all of our school disctricts. I would like to see everybody succeed, and would like to see us move forward.”

15 Responses to "Prop BB tentatively approved by voters – Bonsall waits for mail-in vote count"

1. Angry Fallbrook Voter   November 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I live in Fallbrook and voted early by mail. My ballot didn’t include anything about Proposition BB and I never received anything from the registrar of voters – no supplemental ballot – so I didn’t get to vote on this issue. I also understand that others in the Fallbrook area did not receive anything supplemental about Proposition BB. I would have voted against it as I feel it is not in the best interest of students in either district. I hope the Fallbrook District contests the vote and we get to have another election that is handled correctly and fairly by the registrar of voters.

2. observant   November 23, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I didn’t understand why Fallbrook was voting on a matter that primarily affected Bonsall. The only drawback for Fallbrook is a loss of funding from less students but that should be offset by a loss of expenses.

3. WAH!   November 24, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Oh angry voter – I call BS! If you knew about BB and were so strongly opposed, you would have found a way to get a supplemental ballot to vote on the issue as the overwhelming majority of voters (93%!!!!) in this area did! And, top that off with the fact that most of the voters are actually in Fallbrook, not Bonsall. There are only about 3000 bonsall voters to about 25000 fallbrook voters and of everyone in the voting area, nearly 70% voted for at least something, 93% of those voted for BB. There is no legal leg to contest this election, especially since it was the Bonsall school district that alerted the registrar when the county didn’t put the ballot measure in the original pamphlet. The county corrected it immediately with the supplemental ballot which would have also been available at any polling place on election day. You are simply trying to find a flimsy excuse because you personally disagree with 10,370 (and growing) voters that support Bonsall being a unified district. Get over it. I hate Obama along with 48%+ of America – How bout we contest that election, too?

4. Fallbrook Parent   November 24, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I am a long-time resident of Fallbrook. It is in the best interest of the entire community that Fallbrook High School succeed long-term. Proposition BB will subdivide the available educational resources at a time when there is no extra money. Fallbrook High has declining enrollment. It is not overcrowded, like the proponents of Prop. BB led voters to believe. The election placards stated, "BB for BETTER SCHOOLS." But BB will actually weaken the Fallbrook and Bonsall districts. The voters of Fallbrook were duped into voting for a measure that will be detrimental to Fallbrook High and ultimately their property values.

5. To WAH!   November 25, 2012 at 11:54 am

As I had already MAILED in my ballot, I could not vote again at the polls. NOTHING ever arrived in my mailbox about a the BB issue – no supplemental ballot – zip – nada – so I didn’t get a chance to vote on the issue. I could not have voted at an election polling place on election day because I HAD ALREADY VOTED via mail and you cannot show up at a poll and "vote again". I only heard about the proposition via articles in the newspaper as nothing was included in my election pamphlet about this. I am wondering how many other Fallbrook and Vallecitos voters had the same experience (I know of at least 3) – or who received something in the mail and threw it away thinking they had received a duplicate ballot because they already voted (I know of 2). So what, if it was the Bonsall district that alerted the registrar? If it turns out that the "corrective action" of the registrar didn’t work properly, then there ARE legal grounds to contest the election. No flimsy excuse – just want to have a properly handled election. And, boy are YOU an angry person.

6. How bout some forward thinking instead?   November 25, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Hey angry voter – did you go to a polling place and ask for a supplemental ballot to vote on BB on election day and get turned away? Again – 93% of those that voted at all in the Fallbrook high school district area, voted on the BB measure. That is statistically sound. I’m very much a change what you can locally person and dang it, there needs to be another choice beyond fallbrook high for our community. I’m sick and tired of those that say that our children are stuck with the status quo. Things need to change. Fallbrook needs to unify itself – take vallecitos, fallbrook elementary district and fallbrook high district and cut the administrative fat and become an icon of learning for the 21st century with better programs FOR THE KIDS by getting 25% more $/student as a unified district, too.

7. To WAH! supplement   November 25, 2012 at 2:02 pm

How about the Fallbrook and Vallecitos voters who had not heard anything about Proposition BB (as it didn’t make it into their original election pamphlet) who showed up at the polls and were handed a "supplemental ballot" for BB … expected to make a decision on the spot while standing in the ballot booth? I’ll bet that many didn’t vote on it at all because they only learned of it right then and there and didn’t want to cast an uninformed vote. If they had the information ahead of time, I’ll bet they would have voted against it as it is NOT in the best interest of the Fallbrook High School District. Not only will Fallbrook lose funding per student (about $2.5 million from what I have heard), but, from what I have heard, will also lose assets to the Bonsall district.

8. Pink   November 25, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Sounds like the county of San Diego goofed. What a concept. (-:

9. 93%   November 25, 2012 at 8:44 pm

What part of 93% do you not comprehend? 93% of those that voted for anything in this election also voted on bb. That’s nearly everyone.

10. To 93%   November 26, 2012 at 4:03 am

From where did this 93% figure come? I see no mention of it other than in the comments of WAH. The Registrar of Voters has not released any such figure regarding the breakdown of what ballot issues were voted on by those who cast votes. In fact, as stated in the article, they are still counting ballots.

11. 93% EXPLAINED   November 26, 2012 at 9:19 am

The Registrar has not yet certified election results as they have been verifying mail-in ballot signatures, mostly those that were turned into a polling place on election day. The certification must happen by law by 12/4. With turkeys getting in the way last week, the counting has been slow

12. ps   November 26, 2012 at 9:27 am

Bonsall has paid (and will continue to pay regardless of election results) for Fallbrook high school assets via the supplemental bond measure of the 90s.

13. Fallbrookian   November 27, 2012 at 2:19 pm

If it is now or in 10 years another High School will eventually need to be established. With change there is great anger and discomfort for some and excitement and joy for others. It’s the way of the world, we adapt and move on. The quality of education students receive depends on how much effort they put in to it and the support provided by parents. Not by class size, funding, test scores etc. You only hear about the handful of ‘bad’ students at FHS but not about the hundreds that excel and move on to top notch colleges and universites because they did what they were supposed to do. People don’t realize that Bonsall will take years to establish a High school with all the bells and whistles of a traditional high school. What makes everyone think that 100% of Bonsall parents will even choose Bonsall as a High School choice right off the bat? Everyone needs to take a step back and look at the future and not jump to conclusions that everyone at FHS is automatically going to jump ship. Also consider the boundaries of Bonsall. There are some students that attend Bonsall that live in Oceanside and end up not coming to FHS anyway. Wait it out people……..

14. Elizabeth   November 27, 2012 at 9:27 pm

We are not experiencing population growth in either community at this time. It is not wise to create another high school because it will increase administrative personnel. The added costs would suck the resources away from the kids in the classrooms. FHS is not "top-heavy" when it comes to their administration. Let them keep up their good work.

15. bonsall IS growing...   November 28, 2012 at 6:13 pm

…and demands a high school. Yay for prop bb passing (almost officially).