Rail service from Los Angeles and Orange County into the San Diego area will be suspended today and Sunday because of construction work.

Amtrak and Metrolink trains will not come south into San Diego County today or Sunday because of work at the Santa Margarita Bridge in Camp Pendleton, the NCTD reported.

Local commuter service in San Diego County will operate only between Oceanside and downtown San Diego. Regular service will be restored Monday morning.

More extensive construction work is scheduled to take place again the following weekend — March 15-16 — forcing another shutdown.

7 Responses to "Rail service in parts of San Diego County to be suspended due to work in Camp Pendleton"

1. Lee   March 9, 2014 at 2:07 pm

How sad and telling, isn’t it? Here in crowded SoCal, we have ONE rinky-dinky train line that connects San Diego and L.A. along the coast. So when construction is needed, train traffic comes to a standstill.

2. Redneck Bill   March 9, 2014 at 9:18 pm

How interesting that construction causes a delay of rail transportation through Camp Pendleton.

As an American patriot, I salute Marines and their efforts on my and our behalf. If they need to disrupt rail transport from now until forever, I accept their intent.

They are not perfect, and I have first hand knowledge of this. But their willingness to sacrifice everything for us can not be denied. They are amazing people.

So do what you need to do with rail traffic, and GOD BLESS each and every Marine.

3. Dan   March 10, 2014 at 6:53 am

The bridge actually belongs to CALTRANS, it just happens to be on Camp Pendleton.

4. Lee   March 11, 2014 at 11:26 am

@ #2 Redneck Bill

Bill, you have stated that if the Marines disrupted commercial and public railroad service for eternity, thus crippling the local economy, you would be perfectly alright with that.

Do you love your country?

5. Pink   March 11, 2014 at 8:30 pm

On top of everything else that is wrong with Lee, he also apparently can’t read….or maybe he just can’t comprehend.

6. Redneck Bill   March 12, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Yes Lee, I love my country.

And I love Marines because they are willing to defend my country with their lives.

7. grunt   March 13, 2014 at 6:50 am

Lee, "crippling the economy"? Come on the people moving train THAT would cripple the economy?