Rainbow MWD brings customer service back to own office

The Rainbow Municipal Water District customer service staff, which had relocated to the Fallbrook Public Utility District office in November, has returned to the Rainbow district office.

We’re all physically back,” said Rainbow general manager Gene Buckley.

The Rainbow staff left the FPUD premises for Rainbow on Thursday, April 3, and Friday, April 4. “The real move was mostly Thursday,” Buckley said.

Rainbow left one staff member at the FPUD office on April 4 to handle any necessary customer service matters. “Everybody on Monday morning was here,” Buckley said.

Excluding staff time, Rainbow’s only cost was a rental truck which was used in the April 3 relocation efforts. The one-day rate for the rental truck was $39.95.

“Everybody seems to be pleased,” Buckley said. “Everyone at Rainbow’s pleased.”

On March 5, Rainbow’s board voted to end the joint powers agreement which created the North County Joint Powers Authority with Rainbow and FPUD; the 30-day notice provided to FPUD the following day meant an April 5 end of Rainbow’s involvement in the North County JPA.

During the August 2013 JPA meeting, executive officer Brian Brady, who was also Rainbow’s general manager at the time as well as FPUD’s general manager, gave a presentation which noted that the center of the combined districts from a demographic point was closer to the FPUD office while the center from a geographic basis was nearer the Rainbow office. That led to a decision, which was neither ratified by board approval nor overturned by any board, to move the engineering and systems operations functions to the Rainbow facility while transferring customer service matters to the FPUD location.

In October, the Rainbow district prepared for the customer service staff move with public outreach notification, an order for pre-printed remittance envelopes with the new address, and testing to ensure that communications and information systems were linked.

FPUD didn’t move its engineering or systems operations staff to Rainbow prior to the dissolution of the JPA. “We never got to that stage,” Buckley said. “There were difficulties that were logistical and equipment-wise.”

Buckley explained that issues involving the electronic equipment which communicates between district facilities prevented FPUD from moving its field operations staff.

10 Responses to "Rainbow MWD brings customer service back to own office"

1. RMWD ratepayer   April 24, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Hallelujah! They’re back where they belong.

2. Me   April 25, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Hallelujah….now raise the rates…that’s all Rainbow is good for.

3. RtotheM   April 25, 2014 at 2:57 pm

To: Me,

You ARE Rainbow. Don’t blame others for your lack of involvement.

4. Pink   April 25, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Would you like some cheese and crackers with your whine Me? Stop being such a Donnie Downer, does anything ever make you happy? Look around, there has to be something in your life that isn’t a negative….

5. RMWD ratepayer   April 25, 2014 at 3:35 pm

You have that backwards. While they were at FPUD, RMWD was paying them overtime…FPUD never said why.

6. grunt   April 25, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Hey, me – just wondering what, if anything, did you do for a living? (I have asked that before – you have never answered). I am asking to better understand your resentment of working people’s pay.

7. Pink   April 25, 2014 at 4:50 pm

@Grunt: Me has told us, several times, he is a retired east coast cop.

8. Me   April 25, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Working people’s pay? I’m all for working people……it’s the government workers with their lazy butts, ridiculous salaries, and outrageous pensions that I don’t like.

And I’d answer your other question if you weren’t such a smart #@$ about it.

9. Me   April 26, 2014 at 12:26 pm

@Pink…Half correct…I didn’t retire, I spent 10 years on the PD.

Then I moved to San Diego after vacationing here numerous times and opened several businesses which I operated for 25 years and sold a few years ago. I currently work for a non-profit association.

I’m also fun at parties.

10. Pink   April 26, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I stand corrected "Me". I do remember that you were injured in the line of duty. Thank you for putting your life on the line to protect those of us who rely on people like you. I do hope that you aren’t as negative at parties as you are on this forum at times though….. (-:

I’m wondering which which non profit, I know you can’t name it, but is it local? I have sat on the board of a couple of non profits during my lifetime. I currently am involved with a local non profit in a volunteer position.