Red Flag warning signaling risk of wildfire now in effect

SAN DIEGO – A red flag warning signaling a heightened risk of wildfire is in effect for San Diego County’s valleys and mountain areas through the weekend.

The red flag warning – the most serious fire-related warning issued by the National Weather Service – went into effect at 2 a.m. today and will be in effect through 8 p.m. Sunday, according to the agency.

A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring or will be occurring shortly. Those conditions include strong winds, low relative humidity and warm temperatures.

A moderate strength Santa Ana wind event this weekend will bring sustained winds of 15 to 25 miles per hour and gusts up to 45 mph, an NWS advisory said.

Relative humidity is expected to be no greater than 15 percent by noon Friday, and temperatures are expected to be in the high 80s in the inland valleys and mostly in the high 70s in the mountains.

6 Responses to "Red Flag warning signaling risk of wildfire now in effect"

1. Pink   October 4, 2013 at 8:51 am

Hopefully no idiot will throw a lighted cigaret out of the car window this weekend.

2. Fallbrook res.   October 4, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Ditto Pink. I wish there was a law about dropping butts. people walk dogs by my house and drop their butts in my yard, then the Grandkids and dogs try to eat them. I worry about my yard burning down in my sleep too.

3. Me   October 5, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Not to worry Pink…… We can always count on the Marines to start a conflagration…..

4. Lee   October 7, 2013 at 4:26 pm

@ #3 Me

Love it! lol

5. Lee   October 8, 2013 at 8:53 am

My dear fellow Fallbrookers, I urge you once again (www.thevillagenews.com/story/73656/ #1) to PLEASE eradicate ALL Eucalyptus and pine trees immediately! Let’s do the right thing and make, or certainly try to make, Fallbrook fire safe. We can do this, folks. This ain’t brain surgery. If WE, THE PEOPLE come together and DO the right thing, in this case eradicate Eucalyptus and pine trees, we can bring about great and positive change.

It’s up to us.

6. Lee   October 8, 2013 at 9:10 am

@ #2 Fallbrook Res.

If and when you DO see folks dropping fire butts, why don’t you take a photograph of them and immediately contact Law Enforcement? Why not? I think you should. At the very least you have evidence of a prospective criminal!