Safety tips to reduce risk of carbon monoxide poisoning

SAN DIEGO – As the temperatures drop, San Diego Gas & Electric is reminding customers about important safety tips to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Symptoms of CO poisoning can include nausea, headaches, paralysis and even death. SDG&E wants its customers to remember the following tips to help prevent CO poisoning:

— Never use a gas oven, portable barbeque or range for space heating.

— Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur as a result of a poorly ventilated heater or a CO leak from another source. Have natural gas furnaces checked at least once a year by a licensed heating contractor or SDG&E.

— Vacuum and clean regularly in and around the furnace, particularly around the burner compartment to prevent a build-up of dust and lint.

— Never store items in, on or around the appliance that can obstruct airflow.

If you suspect that you or a loved one is suffering from CO poisoning, call 911 immediately

Visit ”http://www.sdge.com/safety/gas-safety/be-smart-about-gas- appliances” sdge.com/safety for more information on staying safe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.