SAN DIEGO – The United States Supreme Court announced today, Wed., June 26, that the Proposition 8 sponsors lacked standing and has vacated the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals’ decision regarding same sex marriage. The case was remanded back to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals to dismiss the appeal for lack of jurisdiction. Information regarding their announcement can be found at the Supreme Court’s website at http://www.supremecourt.gov/.

The San Diego County Commissioner of Civil Marriages’ Office will not accept appointments for the issuance of marriage licenses and to perform civil marriage ceremonies for same sex couples at this time. Once the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals dismisses the appeal, the stay is lifted, and direction is received from the State Office of Vital Records, we will begin accepting appointments for marriage licenses and ceremonies for same sex couples. As information becomes available, we will provide updated information through media releases and posted notices on our website – http://arcc.co.san-diego.ca.us/.

“My office is ready to respond immediately as rulings become effective. It is my commitment to customers that we conduct business in a fair, courteous and professional manner that complies with court rulings and statutory requirements,” said Ernest J. Dronenburg, Jr., Assessor/Recorder/County Clerk and Commissioner of Civil Marriages.

25 Responses to "San Diego County Commissioner of Civil Marriages’ Office clarifies Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriages"

1. Ray (the real one)   June 26, 2013 at 8:22 pm

America just lost today. The rise and fall of the American empire. What’s next, marriage permitted for personal love dolls? Cow poking. More perverts to worry about. Guard your children folks.

Filthy And disgusting, I’ll never accept it.

2. It's their life, not yours   June 27, 2013 at 10:28 am

Let them live it how they want. As long as it is not hurting you, what do you care?

3. BonsallGayGuy   June 27, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I’m glad that this very ugly chapter of state sponsored discrimination is now finally coming to a definitive close here in California. With each passing year, more and more straight people will continue to come to the conclusion that gay people and our relationships are no threat to anyone and that we are an integral and valuable part of this great country. As citizens we should have the same rights to a state issued license just like any other citizen and that to deny us the rights, privileges, benefits and protections of a state issued civil marriage license does nothing to further the interests of society as a whole or heterosexuals in particular.

4. Sam   June 27, 2013 at 2:01 pm

The only reason I can think of that people poke their noses in others business on this issue is money. Gays that marry are now entitled to benefits they couldn’t get before…medical, tax relief, etc. It’s none of my business how people live their lives. Let’s face it, it can’t be hurting anyone for two people, gay or straight, to get married.
    I say it’s a good thing!

5. Ray (the real one)   June 27, 2013 at 3:30 pm

At least they can’t reproduce, without test tubes. Maybe in a few generations, this ailment will be eliminated.

6. BonsallGayGuy   June 27, 2013 at 4:55 pm

As long as homo sapiens continue to inhabit this planet there will always be gay and lesbian human beings. Sorry to break the news to you, but we’re not going away!

7. ERIN   June 27, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I don’t have a problem with gays and lesbians receiving the same cival rights as hetrosexual couples. They should be allowed the same benefits, priviledges, and protection as all. Heck, most illegal aliens have more benefits than these couples. My problem is with calling it a marriage. It is not a marriage. It is a union. Do not desicrate the sanctity of marriage.

8. Ray (the real one)   June 28, 2013 at 12:12 am

BGG: Not everyone is blessed with good genes.

9. Sam   June 28, 2013 at 7:37 am

Marriage, union…semantics? If two people are in love, gay, lesbian, straight…let them be joined together legally. I don’t have a paroblem with that.

10. (the fake one)   June 28, 2013 at 10:21 am

I think it would be hilarious, if you ever had a gay child, then you’d be changing your tune, but from past posts, seems you might be on your way out soon (not soon enough), or would you reject them too?

11. JM   June 28, 2013 at 11:03 am

Before America, marriage was strictly a religious practice, by catholics and eventually christians. For those who follow the bible, marriage is defined as joining together as a man and a women. Then America formed with strong roots to religion and marriage became an accepted practice of our nation. Thats where it gets skewed. Is marriage defined and practice through its religious roots or do we now view marriage as a practice of our nation regardless of our religious choices. My opinion is that marriage is accepted as a nationwide practice and therefore should be eligible for ALL. I can understand how people who have strong faith could see the misuse of marriage, as they are seeing the idea of joining two people together under the watch and oath of God and as the bible says, it must be a man and a women.

12. grunt   June 28, 2013 at 11:31 am

@bonsall gay guy. May I ask, what advantage you get from "marriage" over "civil union"? Seems to me that marriage was created to provide home and care for offspring, (I realize that many hetro’s do not have kids), and providing the wife safeguards and protection. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying ot educate myself on this.

13. Ray (the real one)   June 28, 2013 at 11:39 am

Sorry buddy but if I did, I would make sure him/her would receive the appropriate treatment for this most serious affliction or disorder.

14. Ray (the real one)   June 28, 2013 at 11:56 am

Let me clarify my position. I don’t view this from a religious position. Most regulars here know I don’t believe in fables, I view this as a violation of the laws pf nature. It’s filthy, disgusting and a degresation of morality and society. I love to tell stories, everyone knows this so here is one. Back in the 90’s, I hosted an office BBQ at my residence. Unknown to me, one employee was let’s say was a “h” word. I did not allow them to attend and offered them the number of the ACLU on departure. I had young children of employees and I did not feel that their rights as parents to explain why these two were different. Where does everyone’s rights end and others begin? MY CHOICE and RIGHT is not to have this type of perversion or deviance and I will excersize my RIGHTS to keep it as far away from myself and the normality of my friends, associates and every other aspect of my business and personal life.

15. Sam   June 28, 2013 at 3:10 pm

First to JM…As far as the religious practice, what of those that don’t subscribe to the same religion, ie: athiests. I don’t think religion stands up in this country as we are many religions.
    To Ray (the real one), yes, you have the right to disallow this practice in your home or office. However, I don’t agree with your descriptions as "perverse and deviant". These are your opinions and I don’t necessarily agree with those definitions. For the record, I am not gay, but I have several gay friends and they don’t bother me at all.
    I know you have RIGHTS, but so do they.

16. Gay Ray   June 28, 2013 at 4:19 pm

You are a serious disorder. Name fits you man.

17. Redneck Bill   June 28, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Isn’t divorce what desecrates marriage?

Christians have "used" the bible to support any number of positions for a long time. If you read it cover to cover you will find many interesting admonitions. For example, there is a chapter and verse that says to buy your slaves from the next county. Or another one that says men shouldn’t have long hair.

The message I take from Christ’s presence on earth is to love my neighbor as myself. Aside from loving God, everything else is ancillary. Telling a gay person how messed up they are, or trying to prevent them from having the same rights I have, doesn’t seem to be in keeping with loving God.

Besides, I think the gay fellers need to experience what wedded bliss is all about. Yuk, yuk.

18. Ray (the real one)   June 28, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Gay Ray: Opinions vary.

Sam: Guess my "right to refuse" sign
    Comes back out.

19. Ray (the real one)   June 28, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Catch the latest from the ninth circus clowns and schlameals today, no stay, granolas can get married on Monday. Nothing has value anymore, laws decency, morality, citizenship, all made worthless by twisted liberals and Obozo.

FOR SALE: United States Citizenship, cheap. $1.00 O.B.O.

CONTACT: Ray (the real one)

20. JM   June 28, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Redneck Bill, I couldnt agree more, God just wants us to Love one another, anything else is trying to take over the role of God.

21. Reality Checker   June 28, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Instead of calling it marriage, lets call it gayrraige. I think that fits the bill much better. Gays will never be married in the eye of God. Nor as far as I am concerned either. They mock God and religion by pronouncing themselves “married”. Its a farce and all the normal people in society just got jacked. Yes, I said NORMAL. In my opinion if a person behaves in a physically intimate way with another of the same sex and/or lusts after another of the same sex it is abnormal, immoral, repugnant, and downright SICK! Anyone that believes otherwise is just sadly brainwashed.

22. Redneck Bill   June 28, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Reality Checker,

So you know what God thinks?

Please tell me, am I going to heaven?

Thanks in advance.

Abby normal, Redneck

23. JM   June 29, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Reality Checker, Marriage is a practice of the nation and no longer strictly a religious practice. If two gays get married its rarely because they are religious and it is the right religious thing to do. In fact I bet most of them stray away from religion because of people like you. People who ignore love thy neighbor and instead try and take the role of God Himself. If God doesnt approve of gays then let God make that decision when they must answer to him. Thats not your job. Also if you believe the idea of the bible vaquely stating anti-gay phrases then surely you also follow the more straightforward phrases such as genocide of your enemies, or the purchasing of slaves. Those things cant be evil after all because its coming from the bible.

24. BonsallGayGuy   June 30, 2013 at 5:56 am

regarding comment #12

Grunt: Thank you for your inquiry. Civil Unions / Domestic Partnership laws do not provide nearly the range of rights that Civil Marriage conveys. Even if they did provide the same rights they would still be inherently unequal. It’s as if a government agency (let’s say a Parks and Recreation Board) were to provide two sets of drinking fountains both identical and equally well maintained, both equal distant to the baseball diamonds, the bus stop and the parking lot however require one set of citizens to drink from one fountain and require another set of citizens to drink from the other.

Here are a few sites for additional info on the wide discrepancies of rights afforded by Civil Unions vs. Civil Marriage.

25. BonsallGayGuy   June 30, 2013 at 6:01 am

PS- Grunt please also consider the fact that many gay and lesbian couples have children as well. Shouldn’t those children have the same protections afforded to the children of heterosexual couples?