Members of multiple San Diego law enforcement branches arrested six people during multiple DUI saturation patrols which took place from 7:00 p.m. on March 17 until 3:00 a.m. the following morning, according to a San Diego County Sheriff’s report.

Members of the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department, Escondido Police Department, La Mesa Police Department, and UCSD Police Department conducted DUI Saturation Patrols in order to keep drunken drivers off the road in various cities throughout San Diego County, according to the report.

Approximately 121 vehicles were stopped during the time the patrols took place, and 35 drivers were evaluated for driving under the influence, according to Sgt. David Cheever.

Four of the six drivers arrested had been driving under the influence of alcohol while the other two had been driving under the influence of a combination of both alcohol and drugs, Cheever said.

In addition to the six arrests, 32 people were issued violations for things like driving without a license, according to Cheever.

The saturation patrols were funded by a grant through the California Office of Traffic Safety.

9 Responses to "San Diego County: Law enforcement officials arrest six during St. Patrick’s Day saturation patrols"

1. Ray (the real one)   March 22, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Let`s see if the same happens on cinco de mayo or after a soccer match, not.

2. Me   March 23, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Finally. It is much more effective using saturation patrols and stopping actual bad driving than stopping 99.99% sober drivers in roadblocks.

Last week the CHP announced in a press release "if you drink and drive, you are four times more likely to crash. If you text and drive, you can be up to 23 times more likely to crash."

I absolutely agree with that statistic just based on my daily & nightly 1-15 experiences.

So, let’s go after the REAL dangerous drivers….

3. Pink   March 23, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I was stopped behind a school bus the other day. The bus had red lights blinking and a BIG stop sign poking out of the side. 2 cars passed me and the bus, both drivers were looking down at cell phones. Thank heavens no children were in the street at the time!! Idiots!! Where were the cops???

4. Lee   March 23, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Thank you, Law Enforcement!

5. Me   March 24, 2014 at 10:32 am

You are so right Pink.

These texters are simply… out of control. Friday afternoon, like clockwork, I was almost sideswiped on 15.

I looked over…the 20 something female driver was texting with her right hand……and holding a bottled water with her left and holding the steering wheel with her knee.

6. Reality Checker   March 24, 2014 at 11:08 am

Pink,
    I think a good idea would be to put the equivalent of red-light cameras on school buses that activate when the red lights and flag are activated. Any vehicle that passes during the time the flag and lights are active, get their picture taken, and the registered owner of the car gets a citation and a license suspension letter in the mail. They’ll stop that crud real quik!

7. Lee   March 24, 2014 at 12:21 pm

@ #6 Reality Checker

I couldn’t agree more! I’m all for cameras.

8. grunt   March 24, 2014 at 12:22 pm

R/C – EXCELLENT idea, I stopped last week behind a school bus (on a motorcycle) and had a car cut to the right of me to go around both – a zig zag – right of me then left of the bus.

9. Pink   March 24, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I know in this warped society that we live in, it will never happen…. but, I would like to see a law passed where someone caught texting or talking on their cells and driving gets their I-Phone confiscated for 3 months, or better yet, their phone gets smashed with a hammer right before their eyes. That would work!!